Please help, rooted, flashed, no radio

Valquez9

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
First time thread starter, long time reader, you guys are awesome and would really appreciate it if you can help a newb out! I just rooted my phone for the first time a few hours ago thanks to the help of the videos over at xda. Rooting went smoothly, so once that was done I figured I'd see what all the hype about das bamf 2.0-5 was. Watched this video: YouTube - ‪How to ROM: HTC Thunderbolt Das Bamf 2.0-5‬‏, and couldnt really understand what to do when he went into the command prompt. At one point he says you dont have to do this (install the kernal?) so I skipped it and booted up the phone. Now, I dont have a radio I'm assuming because I have no service. Can someone direct me to a step by step guide to install the new radio? Again this is my first time doing this so the guide needs to be in laymen terms. All help is appreciated. I've relaxed a bit but at first I thought I bricked the phone lol...hopefully I can get this phone up and running!

Thanks,

JV

Valquez9

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
just thought I might add that my computer is not recognizing my phone when I mount it as a sd card...originally when i moved the files for the radio i did not rename it to PG05IMG.zip...its name on my phone is (mr2)PG05IMG.zip. Now, when I try and move the renamed file to my phone I can't because my phone is not mounting for whatever reason. So annoying!
:mad:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
First time thread starter, long time reader, you guys are awesome and would really appreciate it if you can help a newb out! I just rooted my phone for the first time a few hours ago thanks to the help of the videos over at xda. Rooting went smoothly, so once that was done I figured I'd see what all the hype about das bamf 2.0-5 was. Watched this video: YouTube - ‪How to ROM: HTC Thunderbolt Das Bamf 2.0-5‬‏, and couldnt really understand what to do when he went into the command prompt. At one point he says you dont have to do this (install the kernal?) so I skipped it and booted up the phone. Now, I dont have a radio I'm assuming because I have no service. Can someone direct me to a step by step guide to install the new radio? Again this is my first time doing this so the guide needs to be in laymen terms. All help is appreciated. I've relaxed a bit but at first I thought I bricked the phone lol...hopefully I can get this phone up and running!

Thanks,

JV

before root=phone on froyo with froyo radio
after root=phone on froyo with froyo radio
installing das bamf 2.0.5 (a gingerbread ROM)--requires flashing a Gingerbread radio (MR2 Radio leak/official--i'd hold off on MR2.5 until more people confirm it's stable)
that's why you're without service :)
i'll compile/give you a link to the flashing a radio in very simple terms,

1. Download the desired radio file to the root of your SD card ((root, in this case, means do NOT place it in any folder, make sure it's at the top of your folder heirarchy)

2. Rename the file to PG05IMG.ZIP (if it shows as "PG05IMG.ZIP.ZIP" then remove the first zip that i highlighted

3. check md5. don't know how? Install Astro File Manager, navigate to the radio file, long press the file, Properties, compare the MD5Sum vs the MD5Sum given on the Radio download page---if they don't match, it's a bad download!)

**critical**make sure Fast Boot is NOT enabled on your phone (menu>settings>power)--if it's Enabled (check marked) then you can NOT access the Bootloader function
4. Hold the Power button down, Choose Restart
5. Choose Bootloader
6.The phone will boot into Hboot then Bootloader, It should see the PG05IMG.zip and ask if you want to apply the zip.
7. Use the volume up button to select "yes"
8. Once its done flashing, use the volume buttons to confirm you want to reboot the phone and you should have a new radio.

IMPORTANT: Remember to remove or rename the PG05IMG.zip from the root of your sd card when you're done--otherwise any time you boot into BOOTLOADER your phone will always attempt to update the file & you'll be S-O-L & frustrated.
it's safe to create a folder on your sd card called "ROM Radios" and creating sub folders for "GB" and "FROYO" in which you could place this Gingerbread Radio--if you want to switch back to it after flashing a Froyo ROM & Froyo Radio

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
just thought I might add that my computer is not recognizing my phone when I mount it as a sd card...originally when i moved the files for the radio i did not rename it to PG05IMG.zip...its name on my phone is (mr2)PG05IMG.zip. Now, when I try and move the renamed file to my phone I can't because my phone is not mounting for whatever reason. So annoying!
:mad:

this is a known issue
workaround==
connect phone to pc
choose "internet pass through" and let drivers install
after a few minutes, choose "disk drive"

if it doesn't work, don't worry----people have done this multiple times to get it to work while still connected to the computer

Reactions: zero neck

Valquez9

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
thank you for the response...One question: I already have a file named PG05IMG.zip on the root of my sd card (it was a required folder for the root process I got from xda, however it is not the radio file). Is the one I used to root okay to delete and replace it with the radio file titled the same name? because if I don't get rid of it my computer wants to name it PG05IMG.zip(2)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i'm not certain if that file is the official MR2 radio (check the xda page & see if it is)

here is the link to the MR2 official Radio
delete the current PG05IMG.ZIP file on your SD card
download the file from the above link, follow instructions above to place onto the root of your card

the MD5 sum is as follows
MD5: 4072b5954bf0032103b62c5ae69cb13e

AFTER you flash the radio, you can verify the Radio is the one listed above by
home screen>menu>settings>about phone>software information>MORE>BASEBAND VERSION
the baseband version of the above downloadable radio is "1.39.00.0508w, 0.01.69.0510w_3" these numbers should be listed under your Baseband Version

Reactions: Valquez9

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
hope you get it running!

MD5's are provided for most any ROM/Radio, be sure to compare them before you flash anything.

if you don't want to use Astro, a free app called "Hash Droid" will also provide the MD5 Sum of a file.

just make sure you BACKUP any Stable ROM before flashing a new one.
back up back up backup!
and remember--you can't switch back and forth between a Froyo ROM & Gingerbread ROM without also switching Radios.
slow charge? try upgrading your kernel.
slow LTE? try upgrading your kernel
check out any of Imoseyen's kernels--his are superb for DasBamf ROMS

Last edited:

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey PIP, I really appreciate all the information! I'll check back as soon as I get it running

no problem.
i've been in your shoes and i'm still learning--
so i'm happy to help out

if you haven't done anything yet---
check that (MR2)PG05IMG file on your sdcard---check the MD5Sum and see if it's the official radio
might save you some time/work

if the MD5sum matches---rename it & carry on with the rest of the steps!

Valquez9

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Everything's running well! Now, to restore my music, playlists, etc. can I just use ROM Manager to individually restore the items I want from my SD card? Or are these now FROYO files that cannot be read on GB ROMS?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Everything's running well! Now, to restore my music, playlists, etc. can I just use ROM Manager to individually restore the items I want from my SD card? Or are these now FROYO files that cannot be read on GB ROMS?

music=any music player should recognize the music on your sd card automatically. you don't/shouldn't/won't need to use ROM manager to restore any music to music player applications.

playlists=as long as the playlist files are saved on your sd card, music player applications should recognize & read these data files & your playlists should show up across your music player applications.

ROM manager isn't required/used for this type of data restoration. ROM Manager should only be used to flash ClockWorkModRecovery (however, this can also be achieved in many ROM's by going through the Power>Restart>Recovery option).
ROM Manager can be unreliable when downloading/flashing ROM's, so be wary of performing all actions through this.
It is best used for backing up/deleting/restoring your ROM's.

app data can be used on any ROM as long as you are able to install that application on the ROM. sounds "duh" but some applications are not optomized for different versions of OS (eclair, froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb). if you can install the app, you can use the same data aggregated from a previous ROM.

Reactions: zero neck

Valquez9

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So I saw the post that Das Bamf Rom was updated...I flashed it, so Im assuming I dont need to reinstall the MR2 radio. Now, say I dont like this ROM and I downgrade to the one I backed up, do I need to reflash the MR2 radio since I deleted it off my SD card? again, thanks for helpin the newb.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So I saw the post that Das Bamf Rom was updated...I flashed it, so Im assuming I dont need to reinstall the MR2 radio. Now, say I dont like this ROM and I downgrade to the one I backed up, do I need to reflash the MR2 radio since I deleted it off my SD card? again, thanks for helpin the newb.

if you're going from a Froyo ROM to a Froyo ROM--no need to flash a radio.
in your scenario--you're staying on Froyo. so there's no need--you should be able to flash your backup & have cell service.
(mind you, some times it takes a few moments/minutes for cell service to kick in after you flash a ROM)

it's only required to flash a different radio if you go from 1 version of Android (froyo, gb) to another version (froyo, gb).

kylep23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hijack, I switched today from rooted stock to CM7 without switching radios. Everything works fine. I thought I read cm7 recommends the stock radio. Am I right? Lte is supposedly a few weeks away in Baton Rouge, just want to make sure I can get it when it goes live.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae