new Thunderbolt, new to Android, questions!

anotherfiz

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Ahoy, I made the leap yesterday and purchased my first android phone - Thunderbolt via Verizon

Spent most of the evening last night rooting it using the XDA developers rooter.exe app, and now im sitting with superuser rights on the stock ROM.

Ive noticed that i still cannot delete the verizon apps, and i cannot stop them from running. It seems like even when i kill the tasks using advanced task manager, they come back after a while. Same thing with deleting the apps.

The way im beginning to understand it, it seems like my only recourse is to download a custom "bloat free" ROM. Is this the case?

I do not mind wiping my phone at this point, since it is a new device i enjoy playing around with it.

My next questions are in regards to updates and rooting.

Ive heard of the "MR2" update which i want because it specifically allows you to chose between 3g and 4g (i live in a 4g area and work in a 3g, so i would like to disable 4g when i go to work so that it does not spend battery life trying to roam onto a 4g network) . Ive heard that once rooted, I cannot get updates such as these or it will brick my phone. Does this mean that I should unroot the phone [using auto unroot on these forums?] before updating? Or can i get these features by using a custom rom such as BAMF?

This leads me to my next and final question: Radio and Rom updates - When i upgrade to GB will I have to flash both?

I am interested in running Gingerbread ASAP for the battery optimization, but based on reading the forums it seems like the OS is not quite ready yet? (camera bugs and the like)

Sorry for the long first post, hope my questions were intelligible.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The first thing you want to do is remove the task killer from your phone because it will use more resources then save. If you do a search you will find a ton of thread discussing the use of ATK. To completely remove a application you can use an app like root explorer of titanium Backup. I prefer using root explorer myself and to remove follow this path system>app then locate the app and long press and choose delete.

Before you make any changes (removing apps or flashing) to your phone you will want to backup in recovery there is a great thread by Cyber Warrior in this forum that will explain making backups and flashing roms.

Don't worry about getting OTA updates from Verizon all the updates will be baked in the new Rom way before Verizon puts anything out.

To upgrade to Gingerbread which IMO are the best Roms your correct you will need to update your radio and flash the Rom. You will flash the radio in hboot and not in recovery like you do with Roms. I hope thi helps you out if you have more question please let us know.

almost forgot welcome to Android Central :)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Ahoy, I made the leap yesterday and purchased my first android phone - Thunderbolt via Verizon

Spent most of the evening last night rooting it using the XDA developers rooter.exe app, and now im sitting with superuser rights on the stock ROM.

Ive noticed that i still cannot delete the verizon apps, and i cannot stop them from running. It seems like even when i kill the tasks using advanced task manager,stop using a task manager--android 2.2 does a better job of multi-tasking & program delegation so when you're killing apps via Task Manager it will hurt the phone b/c it has to start some of those processes up again & can actually kill your battery faster b/c of the amount of CPU required. it keeps apps running @ a minimal state so it can recall them quicker without having to use large amounts of power/processing. they come back after a while. Same thing with deleting the apps.

The way im beginning to understand it, it seems like my only recourse is to download a custom "bloat free" ROM. Is this the case?

I do not mind wiping my phone at this point, since it is a new device i enjoy playing around with it.

My next questions are in regards to updates and rooting.

Ive heard of the "MR2" update which i want because it specifically allows you to chose between 3g and 4g (i live in a 4g area and work in a 3g, so i would like to disable 4g when i go to work so that it does not spend battery life trying to roam onto a 4g network) . Ive heard that once rooted, I cannot get updates such as these or it will brick my phone. True, and the XDA community normally has these radio leaks/update leaks days/weeks in advance for rooted users to use Does this mean that I should unroot the phone [using auto unroot on these forums?] before updating? Or can i get these features by using a custom rom such as BAMF? Many ROM's will give you more options than those OTA updates pushed by Verizon. most of the time, they'll give you options long ahead of time before Verizon, so a custom ROM is preferable for its additional features. for instance, DasBamf has a ToolKit that allows you to choose custom boot animations, splash screens, CPU, a terminal emulator, and custom fonts that you can all access from within the ToolKit and can apply simply by rebooting the phone.

This leads me to my next and final question: Radio and Rom updates - When i upgrade to GB will I have to flash both?
flashing a GB ROM will require you to also flash the MR2 radio. you're more than welcome to flash a GB ROM but keep your current FROYO radio, but you won't have any service.

I am interested in running Gingerbread ASAP for the battery optimization, but based on reading the forums it seems like the OS is not quite ready yet? (camera bugs and the like)
somewhat true; but it really does vary with what ROM you use & what kernel you apply overtop of the ROM. i've been running DasBamf 2.0.5,2.0.6,2.1, 2.1Remix and really haven't had any problem with camera lag. i did at first--but then applied a Imo 3.0.1test kernel & the lag went away. kernel's are the suggested fix for camera lag. i haven't had any problems since--and the kernel fixes other problems on most ROM's, too. the most stable GB version of DasBamf i've flashed that didn't give me any problems was 2.0.5; but i'm hooked on some of the upgrades/modifications that have been added to the higher versions so i can't tear myself away from them to go back

Sorry for the long first post, hope my questions were intelligible.

this is just gonna be easier if i BOLD my response to you in your post that i'm quoting :)

but before you consider flashing anything---BACK UP YOUR PHONE! NOW! DO IT NOW! :) seriously. this will be your safety-backup in case anything goes wrong.

Last edited:

sound48

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
The best thing to do is read, read, read, use the search functions, and ask questions if you still can't find the answer. The people here are great if you have any questions. There are a bunch of stickies on this site at the top of the Rooting, ROMs and Hacks section and over at XDA. But before you do ANYTHING, like PIP said, backup, backup, backup. You can learn more how to at http://http://forum.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/77350-guide-how-backup-restore-install-roms-thunderbolt.html

Reactions: zero neck

anotherfiz

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies!

I've made progress!

Running MR2 now with flyweight rom (the light weight stock Froyo one).

Working now to upgrade to Gingerbread rom.

One quick question though. Is there any way i can setup my phone NOT to automatically replicate apps the first time i enter the android market on a fresh build?

Right now its working to load all the stuff i put on last night in a hurry and for funzies, and sadly its trying to do it off a 3g network (since i am at work)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies!

I've made progress!

Running MR2 now with flyweight rom (the light weight stock Froyo one).

Working now to upgrade to Gingerbread rom.

One quick question though. Is there any way i can setup my phone NOT to automatically replicate apps the first time i enter the android market on a fresh build?

Right now its working to load all the stuff i put on last night in a hurry and for funzies, and sadly its trying to do it off a 3g network (since i am at work)

yes. after you flash the ROM, & your phone enters the setup (enter gmail account, pick language, etc)--don't enter your gmail account. if you do--your apps will automatically begin downloading to your phone.

i wait until i've had a chance to restore my apps from TitaniumBackup (found in most ROMs or accessible with a file explorer, also found in most ROMs) with app data,then sign in to the phone using a gmail account (menu>settings>accounts & sync>add account>gmail)
if you don't use TitaniumBackup (and why wouldn't you) then you can just cut that part out. Flash ROM, enter setup, don't provide gmail account, begin customizing then sign into your Gmail account on the phone when you're near a wifi connection or strong 4g for optimal download speed

Reactions: zero neck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech