Forced to install BAMF 2.1 -- Questions, Market issues

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
OK...so a little background...I hadn't installed a GB rom yet because, frankly, my phone was running so well on BAMF Remix 1.7 I just never saw the reason to do so. I'd thought about it, but hadn't taken the leap yet. Fast forward to tonight--> I send an email in Gmail, but when I go back into Gmail about 10 min later, the email is stuck on "sending" still. Had this happen once or twice before, so as I've done before, I go to reboot the phone. About 10 min later, my phone is frozen on the boot animation. Crap. So after a few more minutes, I pull the battery and try again. Nothing; same thing, gets about 1/2 way thru the boot screen and just freezes.

I'm able to connect via adb and boot into recovery, so I wipe cache and dalvik to see if that helps. nope. My last nandroid backup was over a month old, so I didn't really feel like going back that far, and just said, what the heck, I'll download and install BAMF Remix 2.1. (Luckily, I did have a Titanium back that was only about a week old).

As far as BAMF 2.1 Remix goes, everything seems to be pretty good. Rom and radio both installed fine. Basically, right now, I have 2 issues/questions:

1. The market installed most of my apps for me, but there were a few that didn't get installed when it did it's initial sync. This has happened before, and usually I can just manually re-install them. Now, however, when I try to install or update any apps, it just starts the download then immediately stops. No FC or anything like that, it just doesn't download or install the app -- and if I go back to the market link for that app, it still shows that app as not installed. (For example, I cannot update Google Maps or install Dropbox app via the market). Is this a known issue, and does anyone know what I can do here? I already cleared cache and data and rebooted the phone to no avail. Again, luckily I had a recent backup so I was able to restore most of apps from there, but still, I don't like the idea of not being able to install apps from the market.

2. Kernel. Is the kernel that comes pre-loaded with BAMF 2.1 recommended, or are folks getting better results with something else? Does this kernel have the slow recharging issue?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
OK...so a little background...I hadn't installed a GB rom yet because, frankly, my phone was running so well on BAMF Remix 1.7 I just never saw the reason to do so. I'd thought about it, but hadn't taken the leap yet. Fast forward to tonight--> I send an email in Gmail, but when I go back into Gmail about 10 min later, the email is stuck on "sending" still. Had this happen once or twice before, so as I've done before, I go to reboot the phone. About 10 min later, my phone is frozen on the boot animation. Crap. So after a few more minutes, I pull the battery and try again. Nothing; same thing, gets about 1/2 way thru the boot screen and just freezes.

I'm able to connect via adb and boot into recovery, so I wipe cache and dalvik to see if that helps. nope. My last nandroid backup was over a month old, so I didn't really feel like going back that far, and just said, what the heck, I'll download and install BAMF Remix 2.1. (Luckily, I did have a Titanium back that was only about a week old).

As far as BAMF 2.1 Remix goes, everything seems to be pretty good. Rom and radio both installed fine. Basically, right now, I have 2 issues/questions:

1. The market installed most of my apps for me, but there were a few that didn't get installed when it did it's initial sync. This has happened before, and usually I can just manually re-install them. Now, however, when I try to install or update any apps, it just starts the download then immediately stops. No FC or anything like that, it just doesn't download or install the app -- and if I go back to the market link for that app, it still shows that app as not installed. (For example, I cannot update Google Maps or install Dropbox app via the market). Is this a known issue, and does anyone know what I can do here? I already cleared cache and data and rebooted the phone to no avail. Again, luckily I had a recent backup so I was able to restore most of apps from there, but still, I don't like the idea of not being able to install apps from the market.

2. Kernel. Is the kernel that comes pre-loaded with BAMF 2.1 recommended, or are folks getting better results with something else? Does this kernel have the slow recharging issue?

not sure about #1 (clean install/wiped everything at least twice?) but #2 you need the latest leankernel:
[GB Kernel] leanKernel: minimalistic kernel (3.3.8GBtest 6/27/11, v3.1.6cm7 6/17/11) - xda-developers

Reactions: paintdrinkingpete

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
not sure about #1 (clean install/wiped everything at least twice?) but #2 you need the latest leankernel:
[GB Kernel] leanKernel: minimalistic kernel (3.3.8GBtest 6/27/11, v3.1.6cm7 6/17/11) - xda-developers

Thanks -- my market problem seems to cleared itself up overnight.

I also went ahead and installed the latest kernel as well, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm already noticing that my battery life is taking a hit for sure. If there was one reason I was so reluctant to leave 1.7 (Froyo) is that I was getting downright awesome battery life (~36 hours on a single charge). GB does seem quite nice, though.

Any additional battery saving tips for this rom? should I enable any of the speedtweak.sh settings?

Thanks again.

jvnane

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks -- my market problem seems to cleared itself up overnight.

I also went ahead and installed the latest kernel as well, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm already noticing that my battery life is taking a hit for sure. If there was one reason I was so reluctant to leave 1.7 (Froyo) is that I was getting downright awesome battery life (~36 hours on a single charge). GB does seem quite nice, though.

Any additional battery saving tips for this rom? should I enable any of the speedtweak.sh settings?

Thanks again.
I see you fixed the market problem, but I just wanted to say, I also had this problem. It seemed to clear itself up though when I turned the mobile data off then back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34