My Thrive's a Keeper! (my THRiVE review)

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
My Thrive isn't as heavy as I expected.

The fullsized USB port and SD card slot, along with the Toshiba file manager, are the dealmaking features for me:

Attached via the miniUSB cable, my Thrive and puter transfer files back 'n' forth . . .Yes!

My 32GB SanDisk Ultra USB flash drive is recognized by the Thrive--oh, bliss! Ditto for my 32GB Secure Digital card. The ports are covered. :)

My Thrive quickly boots and works fast but the stock android browser has a bit of a lag. (I now use the faster Opera for Mobile browser.)

My Thrive charges very fast---a full charge in just about an hour. :)

My pop3 email was fasssst and easy to set up, but it doesn't give an audio or visual notification for new mail; I've been attempting, so far in vain, to find a setting to correct that. (Options are available for notifications but apparently something is overriding the email notification options that I chose.)

I appreciate the option of keeping the lockscreen UNlocked--much more convenient since I work in my home studio. But when I leave my studio, I do use the option to display my name and contact information on the lockscreen.

I enjoy the capability of dictating, rather than keyboarding, and of listening to an ebook being read, rather than all the time reading, and because I now have low vision I love the giant calculator. :)

The Thrive is a professional device (although it supports music and games---for which I've not used it). The pre-loaded version of Quick Office is extremely limited; I obtained the Pro HD version for my teaching work because I've not found a way to create a new document in the pre-loaded version. However, .pdf and Microsoft Word and Excel documents open in clear, easy-to-read text.

Wifi sets up quickly and easily. My Thrive is definitely wifi-oriented; it works well even on a low-signal (single bar) wifi network. I am SO glad this device is wifi-only! I would not have purchased a tablet requiring a carrier fee to connect.

I'm not impressed with the pre-loaded free 30-day trial version of the irritating (to me) pesky Kaspersky Mobile Security (and will try McAfee's Mobile Security and/or Lookout now that the lonnng 30-day trial has finally ended).

The widgetry on the five (huge!) homescreens works easily. (I wish more widget options were pre-loaded.)

The sole preloaded calendar requires registration to the user's google account; I refused. That pushes too far on the side of ridiculosity. So, obviously, I'm searching for an offline calendar for my otherwise awesome Thrive. UPDATE: I'm using the bare minimum Deja Office calendar until Pocket Informant for Android 1.5 is out of beta in early September.

Photographs are subdued in completely natural colours! The camera takes "okay" pictures. Using a 10.1" tab as a cam feels awkward for me but my tab will never replace my digital cams for photographing. (I've not yet practiced videography on my Thrive.)

The portfolio 360 degree case works well to stand the Thrive either vertically or horizontally, even in my lap. I would gladly have paid more for a genuine leather case; this "faux leather" is far inferior in both feel and smell to the real stuff. This case is heavy; it may double the weight of the Thrive.

Thrive is designed for professionals (and can also provide entertainment). I am completely satisfied with my Thrive tablet; we have bonded. :)

Last edited:

kap0ne

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I have had mine for a little over a week and LOVE IT!! I love Android based phone and this tab showcases the OS very well. I 100% agree that it is a great professional tablet. Maybe now the app developers will make more tablet optimized aps.
:cool:

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Still loving my Thrive. I probably don't use it to its full advantage, but I bought it mostly for fun. lol.

I still need to check out connecting it to my laptop, haven't tried it. Anyone encounter any problems doing that?

I've heard of "force closing", how does that work?

:)

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Nonie, I've had no probs connecting my Thrive to my desktop; 'tis pure digital bliss to freely transfer files back 'n' forth betwixt the two!

Force closing occurs when an app is in use and a popup states that the app must force close. The user presses OK and the app closes. I don't believe my Thrive has done that but my Inspire phone has done it a couple of times when it had a prob contacting my pop3 email server.

Last edited:
Reactions: nonie

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So, what are you looking for in a tablet?

Expandable memory is a must.Preferably without having to add something to the tablet like the Asus' keyboard dock.
I would prefer full-size SD over microSD (If you've ever had one on those *&^%$^U%&*^$%#$254*&%&^ things pop out fly across the room and disappear for the rest of the day you know what I mean).
There's also more companies making full-size SD cards. And you can buy full-size SD cards in 64 and 128 GB sizes.
Full-size USB port. Being able to use a thumb drive is unbelievably cool and convenient.
Timely updates would be a nice plus (The one thing that makes me hesitate over the Thrive - Where's 3.2? Toshiba can't even be bothered to give a date. On the other hand the Asus Transformer is already on 3.2)

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got home with my 32GB Thrive. I really like the look and feel of the device. I don't know why everybody is whining about how "thick" this tablet supposedly is. It doesn't feel or look too thick at all to me. I'm also not bothered by the power brick that everybody's been complaining about. Doesn't that brick allow the Thrive to charge faster?
I went to Best Buy again and spent about half an hour playing with the Asus Transformer and the Thrive. I was mainly trying to see how much better the Transformer's screen was since everybody who reviews it just rants about how great it supposedly looks. I really couldn't see enough of a difference between the two to make me swing towards the Asus. Yeah the Transformer has a wide viewing angle. So what? Who uses their tablet from the side ? The Transformer's screen didn't look any sharper to me. I went to the same few websites and the only difference I could see was that the text in some add at the top of the webshots website looked a lot cleared and sharper - I couldn't see any difference other than that. I went to youtube and watched a video. I couldn't get it to play on the Transformer but it looked great on the Thrive. The guy speaking at the beginning of the video had blond hair and I could very clearly see individual hairs sticking out on the side of his head.
I already had a 32GB SD card & a 32GB thumb drive so I'm starting out with 96GB worth of storage.
The only thing I'm worried about is software updates since Toshiba can't even be bothered to give a release date for 3.2.

Shopping list :
64GB thumb drive
64GB SD card
screen protector
bluetooth keyboard

Edit:
I really wish they had put the SD card slot under some kind of cover. I was fumbling around for the volume buttons & ejected the SD card by mistake...while a video was playing from it...

Last edited:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the Asus Transformer, but ended up giving that to my son for school. It was ok bit I didn't really like the feel of it. He will use the dock more than I will too.

The only thing keeping me from the Thrive right now is the lack of the 3.2 update. It (3.2) came out less than a month after 3.1, so there are a lot of needed bug fixes. Not too mention many improvements. So I'm waiting on a release date, or any news I guess.

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the Asus Transformer, but ended up giving that to my son for school. It was ok bit I didn't really like the feel of it. He will use the dock more than I will too.

The only thing keeping me from the Thrive right now is the lack of the 3.2 update. It (3.2) came out less than a month after 3.1, so there are a lot of needed bug fixes. Not too mention many improvements. So I'm waiting on a release date, or any news I guess.

That was the only thing keeping me away too. But to be honest the tablet works fine without 3.2.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

So, what new functionality would the 3.2 update give the Thrive?

Last edited:

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
what can u connect with the usb? can u connect ur phone and mount your usb storage??

You can connect most everything via the Thrive's USB port. I mainly connect USB flash drives to my Thrive to transfer documents and pics. I love the ease of transferring my Excel gradebooks from puter to tablet via USB!

superbat85

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
hey guys,
I recently just bought one online and I thought it said the battery was great but I am noticing that people are buying an extra battery. How come?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Superbat, since we all have different uses for our tabs some users may need backup batteries. I don't use a backup battery because my writing/teaching studio is in my home so I can charge my Thrive almost anytime, and it charges so bloomin' fasssst that the original battery is totally adequate for my use. :)

bakerja

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Just went from a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 to the thrive 10.1 and am mostly happy.

Battery life is definately diminished. Wonder if any 3rd party batteries are available with more capacity?
Screen on thrive has less color saturation. I noticed it first when I pulled up netflix and the red background was a bit washed out compared to the SGT. The additional ports on the thrive more than make up for this though.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Just went from a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 to the thrive 10.1 and am mostly happy.

Battery life is definately diminished. Wonder if any 3rd party batteries are available with more capacity?
Screen on thrive has less color saturation. I noticed it first when I pulled up netflix and the red background was a bit washed out compared to the SGT. The additional ports on the thrive more than make up for this though.

Yes, bakerja, the fulll ports and SD card slot were my dealmakers too despite the less intense colour (which was a surprise to me but my colour disappointment faded with the superior practicality of my Thrive). :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech