Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ice Cream Sandwich for Thrive?

Does anyone know the probability of Thrive's getting an ICS upgrade?
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Default Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Thrive?

I would say that it is very likely that the Thrive will get ICS. ICS is intended to work for phones, tablets, and computers, and it is going to have dual core optimization built into the OS. The Thrive is a relatively new device and Toshiba should want to have it run on the latest OS for a while.

As a last resort, if Toshiba becomes slow at releasing updates and holds ICS back from the users, we should be able to root and load an ICS ROM by that time.
    Thanked by:

I know this is a dumb question, but gonna ask anyway. what is ice cream sandwich?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    I know this is a dumb question, but gonna ask anyway. what is ice cream sandwich?
    It's a deeeelicious chunk of ice cream stuck betwixt a couple of chocolate (or otherwise) cookies!

Android os has various versions such as cupcake, froyo (frozen yogurt), gingerbread, honeycomb. The next version is ice cream sandwich---due this autumn. ICS version is the first for both tablets and cell phones.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd
    Thanked by:
    nonie 

Quote Originally Posted by hummingbirdhill View Post
    It's a deeeelicious chunk of ice cream stuck betwixt a couple of chocolate (or otherwise) cookies!

Android os has various versions such as cupcake, froyo (frozen yogurt), gingerbread, honeycomb. The next version is ice cream sandwich---due this autumn. ICS version is the first for both tablets and cell phones.
    sounds like its good, that would be a good thing for the Thrive? and will this be from Toshiba? an update for it?

as you can tell, this is my first tablet, have no idea what all the terminalogy is or what it does.

sounds like its good, that would be a good thing for the Thrive? and will this be from Toshiba? an update for it?

as you can tell, this is my first tablet, have no idea what all the terminalogy is or what it does.
    Yes, it would be a good thing for the Thrive because it should better utilize the dual core processor of the Tegra 2.

ICS is software developed by Google, but Toshiba would be responsible for making it available for our tablets (following official channels).
    Thanked by:
    nonie 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

This forum is the finest way possible IMHO to learn more about the Thrive's operation, capabilities, possibilities, and future!

Some of us know some things and others know other things about our Thrive tablets. We can help each other gain knowledge and experience through our thriving forum threads.

Yes, ICS will be a major update---an upgrade if you will. As I understand it, google prepares the android os upgrades and then makes them available to the manufacturers (and 3G device carriers) who send OTA data to our devices. Please correct me, Anyone, if this is wrong.
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

This forum is the finest way possible IMHO to learn more about the Thrive's operation, capabilities, possibilities, and future!

Some of us know some things and others know other things about our Thrive tablets. We can help each other gain knowledge and experience through our thriving forum threads.

Yes, ICS will be a major update---an upgrade if you will. As I understand it, google prepares the android os upgrades and then makes them available to the manufacturers (and 3G device carriers) who send OTA data to our devices. Please correct me, Anyone, if this is wrong.
    Thanks, Hummingbirdhill, for your explanation. As I said, I'm new to adroid. The update sounds great, hope we get it.

Thanks, for all your answers.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Based on this news article from AndroidCentral, and then looking at the dolphin site, I may very well choose to use this newest version of dolphin browser designed for honeycomb tabs . . .

Dolphin for Pad V1.0 enters beta stages | Android Central
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Based on this news article from AndroidCentral, and then looking at the dolphin site, I may very well choose to use this newest version of dolphin browser designed for honeycomb tabs . . .

Dolphin for Pad V1.0 enters beta stages | Android Central
    let us know if you try it and how you like it.

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

I tried it, but I found that I liked Dolphin HD better. Perhaps once Dolphin Pad is out of beta it will be smoother.
    Dumb phone -> BB8830WE -> BB Curve 8330 -> Incredible -> DROID X ----->Galaxy S3
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by lsmunoz View Post
    I tried it, but I found that I liked Dolphin HD better. Perhaps once Dolphin Pad is out of beta it will be smoother.
    Well, I decided to forego the dolphin browser at this point. I put the Opera for Mobile browser on my Thrive and it's doing very well. I activated the Opera Link feature on my older puter so that all my Opera bookmarks are available to Opera on my Thrive---which has greatly facilitated my web use on the Thrive. :-)

Has anyone else tried a different browser on your Thrive?
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Isn't ICS 4.0? Toshiba haven't even given a date for 3.2. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on 4.0.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by leblabbiy View Post
    Isn't ICS 4.0? Toshiba haven't even given a date for 3.2. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on 4.0.
    Perhaps Tosh thinks 3.2 hasn't adequate additional features and awaits ICS to upgrade our Thrives?

What are the benefits of 3.2?
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Quote"

The Thrive 7 will come in 16GB and 32GB versions and [HL]has basically the exact same functionality and performance as the 10-inch Thrive, Cowan.[/HL]

The Thrive 7 [HL]runs on Android 3.2 Honeycomb, but will be upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich when it becomes available later this year[/HL], Cowan said. The device uses the same Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor as its larger sister and it has a 1,280 by 800 display.

"En Quote
    http://www.twice.com/article/474434-...ive_Tablet.php

If the above Quote is accurate then I am encouraged that at least the 7 " will get some Ice Cream, Why not the 10"?

I am particularly hopeful for the 7" and is the size I would like as well.
    Last edited by Viqtor; 10-15-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Other quick tip to learn is the source of the names of every mayor update.

If you notice first, all OS updates have the name of desserts, make it funnier than 1.0, 2.0, etc.
    Second: the names arent random dessert based on what the mayority of workforce wanted in their cafeteria the day the new OS came out, you'll notice an alfabetic name ([E]ccleir, [F]rozen yogurt, [G]ingerbread, [H]oneycomb, [I]ce cream sandwich and next to come out [J]ellybean). Hope this makes you a greater entussiast of the android world

And well yeah, icecream sandwich should be a great update, for phones and tables alike.

Welcome to the forum, and HEY!! Im new too, next drink is on me XD
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Can anyone say any specific changes in the Thrive that would be made by getting ICS???
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Smile Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Thrive?

Can anyone say any specific changes in the Thrive that would be made by getting ICS???
    I have no idea.

But,
    I am enjoying my thrive, still learning just what all I can do. Finally, figured out how to print.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I have no idea.

But,
    I am enjoying my thrive, still learning just what all I can do. Finally, figured out how to print.
    Good deal on the PRINT, Nonie!

I'm just very curious as to how my Thrive can possibly be improved----except, of course, by getting the Kaspersky trial version completely GONE. I've not yet installed lookout because I did a trial of McAfee Mobile Security which told me that it couldn't do a complete protection because of the Kaspersky. IRK. So, I just am awaiting Tosh's awakening and doing a removal of the ugly K.

At any rate, I'm eager to know whether I want ICS on my Thrive . . .
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

Good deal on the PRINT, Nonie!

I'm just very curious as to how my Thrive can possibly be improved----except, of course, by getting the Kaspersky trial version completely GONE. I've not yet installed lookout because I did a trial of McAfee Mobile Security which told me that it couldn't do a complete protection because of the Kaspersky. IRK. So, I just am awaiting Tosh's awakening and doing a removal of the ugly K.

At any rate, I'm eager to know whether I want ICS on my Thrive . . .

I agree, don't know what improvement they could make. Only thing i can think of, is the ability to remove bloat ware.

So glad i didn't try Kaspersky.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I agree, don't know what improvement they could make. Only thing i can think of, is the ability to remove bloat ware.

So glad i didn't try Kaspersky.
    I'm glad you didn't try K too---You definitely made the right choice, Gal!
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd

I'm glad you didn't try K too---You definitely made the right choice, Gal!
    Not often that happens.

ROM
    ICS

I definately tried K. What I get for not paying too much attention. BUT, I disabled it. So hopefully it won't cause issues; if it does - factory resets sound fun, don't they?

And I hope the 10.1 Thrive gets an ICS update - and considering the 7in one will, which is essentially a baby sister of the 10.1, I don't see why the 10.1 won't get it. Same resolutions, same hardware. Essentially the same device, just...3in smaller.

I was checking out the Thrive site (Android Tablet Computers | Toshiba - Thrive 10-Inch Tablet) and noticed in the middle, there now is an Android Robot holding the ICS Android robot picture saying upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich. I didn't see the files in the support site and haven't yet seen it in the upgrade app on the device.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTwo2 View Post
    I was checking out the Thrive site (Android Tablet Computers | Toshiba - Thrive 10-Inch Tablet) and noticed in the middle, there now is an Android Robot holding the ICS Android robot picture saying upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich. I didn't see the files in the support site and haven't yet seen it in the upgrade app on the device.
    Yo, thanks for this info and please keep us posted!
    hummingbirdhill
    THRiVEn and 4NOTEd
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast