Lookout for the Thrive?

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
does Lookout have a version out for tablets, I tried to download it, but can't seem to get it to work.
One of there support team members has been giving me suggestions, but so far nothing has worked.

anyone else using it on the Thrive?

If so, how did you get it installed and working?

:)

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This is what the support tech, finally came up with and emailed me to do to get Lookout on my tablet:

The reason why you're having trouble finding Lookout in the market on your tablet is due to the fact that it doesn't support SMS messages. We rely on SMS messages to initiate a connection to a device in the event it's lost, stolen, etc. Without the ability to receive SMS messages the missing device features would be greatly hindered, however, device based backups and malware protection would work normally.

Until we release a version that's more compatible with your tablet you can install it using this alternate method:

The first thing you'll want to do is enable the installation of non-market applications. To do this:

Go to settings > application > and check the box next to "Unknown Sources." Go ahead and disregard the warning (by clicking OK), we can uncheck it later.

Next, back out of Settings and open up the web browser and browse over to http://ow.ly/5Kknc. This will download our app to your tablet. Then you should go to your downloads window (usually accessible from your browser itself) and click on the file that starts with 'com.lookout'. That will get the app installed on your tablet and then you can log in with your email address and a password of your choice. Then you should be all set.

You can also schedule regular anti-virus scans by clicking on the menu while Lookout is open and choosing ‘Security’. In this menu you can setup scheduled security scans.

Thanks for using Lookout!

Hope this helps, anyone wanting to use Lookout on there Tablet. :)

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Nonie, you made a very wise decision NOT to activate the Kaspersky free trial on your Thrive!

How are you liking lookout?

Does lookout turn on your Thrive when your Thrive is turned off?

Does lookout give you optional settings (such as when you want scans to run, etcetera)?

What types of information does lookout put in the bottom right notifications area?

I want to put lookout on my Thrive but I'm leery of any mobile security app after my unpleasant experience with the Kaspersky free trial that has transitioned into a permanent tribulation.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Nonie, you made a very wise decision NOT to activate the Kaspersky free trial on your Thrive!

How are you liking lookout?

Does lookout turn on your Thrive when your Thrive is turned off?

Does lookout give you optional settings (such as when you want scans to run, etcetera)?

What types of information does lookout put in the bottom right notifications area?

I want to put lookout on my Thrive but I'm leery of any mobile security app after my unpleasant experience with the Kaspersky free trial that has transitioned into a permanent tribulation.

Hummingbirdhill, I do still like it.

. No it does not turn on my thrive. Hmmm, don't really remember if I could set when I wanted it to scan, but I think so, sometimes when I turn it on, it will show that it is scanning.

It the notification area, it puts the lookout emblem. When you click on the emblem it opens to a screen, that shows, different menus. Top right shows a √ mark, and you can click on any item, see when last scanned or tell it to scan. While you have the trial premium, anytime you add app, it scans right away and also has "safe brownsing".
After your trial time and if you don't sign up for payed premium, you no longer have the safe browsing and privacy advisor. It will show them, but they are not active.
I haven't gone with the payed premium yet, but I may.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: hummingbirdhill

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much, Nonie, for answering my questions; I've been attempting to get Lookout onto my Thrive ever since you posted.

However, the android market won't let me "purchase" it (even though it's free). I have no problems purchasing from the amazon apps for android but apparently amazon doesn't stock Lookout. I now await a reply from a Lookout rep as to how to get their product onto my Thrive . . .

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much, Nonie, for answering my questions; I've been attempting to get Lookout onto my Thrive ever since you posted.

However, the android market won't let me "purchase" it (even though it's free). I have no problems purchasing from the amazon apps for android but apparently amazon doesn't stock Lookout. I now await a reply from a Lookout rep as to how to get their product onto my Thrive . . .
Hummingbirdhill, I couldn't get it either from the mkt or there web site.
But there tech team worked to help me. And finally got it.

Check my message where I explained what I had to do.

Good luck.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I bookmarked your post detailing what you had to do but I mistakenly thought that's what you had to do after downloading the lookout. At any rate, I received the same instructions from lookout that you had!

Do you know what site that weird link goes to, Nonie? It might be one of those shortened urls but I don't use them . . . This is sooooo frustrating; why does the andy market have to be soooooo difficult? IRK

Alas, I tried to get McAfee Mobile Security just now and the android market sent a popup:
Purchase cancelled
Error processing purchase.
Retry Cancel

That's the popup I get on my Thrive every single time I attempt to obtain an app from the android market. I surely wish I could discover the problem!

Another thing is:
Android Market isn't in "My apps" on my Thrive like Amazon is. I feel that has something to do with my not being able to do business with the android market. But I don't know what to do to get the market into "My apps" if that is what is needed . . . Can someone kindly advise me here? :)

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I bookmarked your post detailing what you had to do but I mistakenly thought that's what you had to do after downloading the lookout. At any rate, I received the same instructions from lookout that you had!

Do you know what site that weird link goes to, Nonie? It might be one of those shortened urls but I don't use them . . . This is sooooo frustrating; why does the andy market have to be soooooo difficult? IRK

Alas, I tried to get McAfee Mobile Security just now and the android market sent a popup:
Purchase cancelled
Error processing purchase.
Retry Cancel

That's the popup I get on my Thrive every single time I attempt to obtain an app from the android market. I surely wish I could discover the problem!

Another thing is:
Android Market isn't in "My apps" on my Thrive like Amazon is. I feel that has something to do with my not being able to do business with the android market. But I don't know what to do to get the market into "My apps" if that is what is needed . . . Can someone kindly advise me here? :)
Hummingbirdhill, no I don't know about the site. I just know it took going step by step to get it loaded.

The mkt app is in the list of apps, I just clicked on it and put it on one of the home pages, then I could go to mkt site.

Let us know if you get it loaded.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hummingbirdhill, no I don't know about the site. I just know it took going step by step to get it loaded.

The mkt app is in the list of apps, I just clicked on it and put it on one of the home pages, then I could go to mkt site.

Let us know if you get it loaded.
Hummingbirdhill, just looked at the apps, mkt is on my first page, on the bottom row, the first one.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yo, but when you touch My apps at the top of the Apps pages, is the android market in your My apps?
No, the only ones there, are ones I've downloaded, not the ones that came on the thrive.

Like Lookout and a couple games.

When you put it on one of your home pages, then you should be able to click on it and the market will open, with apps.

rtmaston

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem when I went to the market and tried to download it.after a couple of hours of trying where I could download it from you can download it from getjar.com.you can upgrade to the premium for 14 day trail I did it works great.so give it a try.hope this helps

rtmaston

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
go to getjar.com you can download it there or go to mylookout.com and scrow down it will also give you a link for that website.that is what I did.hope this help.my lookout work great on my thribe

rtmaston

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
you can go to mylookout.com to download it just scrow down the page and it gives another download link for people that does not have market app.I think the sight is getjar.com.top this helps.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Oh, sorry. That's the way it worked for me. I am now using the free version, its is working fine.