Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dr.bizarro
  • 1 Post By tube517
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Don't overcharge battery warning

The Thrive manual specifically says not to overcharge the battery, but heck, the docking station I bought not only charges, but is hooked up to my stereo and HDTV. Is it REALLY harming the battery leaving it in the dock all the time?

Default Re: Don't overcharge battery warning

As with any lithium based battery, overcharging causes individual cell instability. You will greatly effect the performance of the pack if its overcharged just as much as you will if it is overDIScharged.
    Some information can be found by googling lithium battery charging/discharging procedures, but here's a link to the wikipedia page that explains specifically lithium ion/polymer batts, such is the type in our specific case. Honestly, I doubt very much you will do any harm from using the dock, whilst having the battery in, but as with most batteries, they don't like when you just keep giving 'em juice over and over and never really discharging them. Also, try using the dock without plugging in the cord. Just some thoughts, as I've ruined my fair share of lithiums in my RC heli's and planes. Don't be afraid of just taking the battery out either. Remember, that's a feature we have over every other tab on the market. The Thrive will function without a battery installed, FYI.

So, oorah to USER REPLACEABLE BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Good Luck

Edit forgot the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...olymer_battery
    Thanked by 2:
    tube517 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.bizarro View Post
    As with any lithium based battery, overcharging causes individual cell instability. You will greatly effect the performance of the pack if its overcharged just as much as you will if it is overDIScharged.
    Some information can be found by googling lithium battery charging/discharging procedures, but here's a link to the wikipedia page that explains specifically lithium ion/polymer batts, such is the type in our specific case. Honestly, I doubt very much you will do any harm from using the dock, whilst having the battery in, but as with most batteries, they don't like when you just keep giving 'em juice over and over and never really discharging them. Also, try using the dock without plugging in the cord. Just some thoughts, as I've ruined my fair share of lithiums in my RC heli's and planes. Don't be afraid of just taking the battery out either. Remember, that's a feature we have over every other tab on the market. The Thrive will function without a battery installed, FYI.

So, oorah to USER REPLACEABLE BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Good Luck

Edit forgot the link: Lithium-ion polymer battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    how do you remove the battery? i have the 10 inch excite 16gb/ i cant see a way into this lil monster without a hammer

ROM
    Decks Reloaded,RebelROM

Quote Originally Posted by tattoomikeinnc View Post
    how do you remove the battery? i have the 10 inch excite 16gb/ i cant see a way into this lil monster without a hammer
    The Excite doesn't have a removeable battery, the Thrive has a removable battery.
    TOSHIBA Thrive • Pio's Team Baked BlackBean 4.1.2 ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 (i717) • CM11 4.4.2 kitkat (jamied)
    Samsung GalaxyTab 3 (7 in) • Deleterious ROM
    HTC EVO 4G • Deck's Reloaded ROM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (i317) unlocked • Ditto Note 3.1.1 (4.3) ROM
    B&N Nook Color (Gifted to relative)
    Samsung Galaxy Prevail • Half A$$ed ROM
    EVO Shift• JellyBelly ROM
    Samsung Galaxy S3 • DanKang 4.3.1 ROM

hummingbirdhill likes this.