ICS for Thrive . . . YES!

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Easily, quickly d'loaded and installed ics this morn. No problems with any part.

ICS on Thrive: Wowsers!

Changes I have noticed:
Most importantly (to me), NO Kaspersky. YAY!
Stock calendar is hugely improved (although initially it manifested a few problems).
Stock file manager now has alphabetical order with each file in a neat rectangle box!
Stock browser is faster and smoother---so nice. (Haven't tried my dolphin browser yet.)
New ringtones, 7 of which are (to me) useable. (I still prefer Sky, but the new Betelgeuse is intriguing.)
Settings is more organized with more specific categories (such as reset) in the main list.
My email (not gmail) settings appear to include a way to compose Quick Responses.
I like that TalkBack is now available (although I may never use it).
I haven't used the cam yet.
I've not yet checked out ALL the individual apps so I can't comment on anything there except I noticed that Key Chain is included . . . Does anyone in here know what Key Chain app is?
My sole negative is the default for Google Photos sync is ON. I never upload ANY photos to ANY cloud (including fb). So that really upset me.

At any rate, I highly recommend the ics upgrade to my fellow THRiVERs! I am thrilled with it.

Last edited:

onotarianism

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The most important question to me: can we now write to the external sd card?

Being in Canada, I don't have the update yet - but if someone who does would respond, that would be great.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, Kaspersky has only been renamed as "Tablet Security."

True but it no longer continually announces its presence in my bottom right notification area! That constant irritant was my sole negative with my Thrive and I cannot describe my awesome relief that it was not staring at me each time I check the battery, etcetera, post-update. :)

AND I was able to DISable it in Settings. :)

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey does anyone know if you can add apps to the lock screen in ics i like the camera but would like to add a browser.

Since I don't use apps on the lockscreen I haven't thought about this. In hurriedly attempting to find an answer to your question, I realized that I don't see a way to add an app or widget to a home screen. I had noticed the + beside the apps link in the upper right corner is no longer present after the ics upgrade but i figured another way would be available. Guess deeper delving is required to find the other way . . .

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
You'll have probably figured out the answer to the question, how to add apps, but in case you haven't, just click on the apps and find the one you want and long press on it, just like before.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I had 2-3 very minor issues once each, but they occurred only the first time I did something. Since they didn't repeat, I was grateful and not anxious. Now I can't recall what the issues were---which is a good thing.

Does your Thrive still have some ICS probs???

EDIT: One of the issues of my Thrive w/ICS is that the pics and folders in the Gallery were rather weirdly messed up. But the next time I opened the Gallery all was back to normal.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine goes to sleep sometimes and I have to hold the power button down and shut it off to get it to wake up. PAINFUL

Oh, that is something my Thrive did a couple times after it got ICS, but then it quit. I'm thinking the ice cream sandwich gave my Thrive temporary indigestion . . .

ZaynesMama

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
If i coupd have any other device it would not in a million years be this inferior hunk of SH*T. What kind of portable device diesnt have sound? I am dusgusted and irrate about my money flushed on crap like this. Got tvs and laptop and very satusfied but this thung is toshibas black sheep

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
If i coupd have any other device it would not in a million years be this inferior hunk of SH*T. What kind of portable device diesnt have sound? I am dusgusted and irrate about my money flushed on crap like this. Got tvs and laptop and very satusfied but this thung is toshibas black sheep

So sorry for any negative experience you have had. My Thrive is so satisfactory that I've not even been tempted to get a later model tablet---a very unusual situation for me as I completely enjoy using the latest technology.

If we can in any way assist you in resolving your Thrive issues in this forum, we stand ready do so.

onotarianism

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine is doing it (locking up while in sleep mode) too, post-ICS-upgrade. Just this morning I had to reset again. Hoping Toshiba Canada comes out with a patch to resolve this soonest.

It was perfectly reliable before.

With ICS I was hoping for at least a) being able to easily write to the external SD card again and b) face unlock. Neither appear available, and the tablet is now less reliable. So far, the only visible benefit is a slightly more-modern interface and the ability - from the Developer screen - to 'stay awake' while plugged in. It is also slower, and the Service Station takes so long to load that the system asks me if I should wait or close (I wait, it eventually starts).

I still need the full-sized USB host and HDMI connector, so it is still the right hardware, but how can I recommend a device to someone when it crashes routinely in sleep mode?

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing it (locking up while in sleep mode) too, post-ICS-upgrade. Just this morning I had to reset again. Hoping Toshiba Canada comes out with a patch to resolve this soonest.

It was perfectly reliable before.

With ICS I was hoping for at least a) being able to easily write to the external SD card again and b) face unlock. Neither appear available, and the tablet is now less reliable. So far, the only visible benefit is a slightly more-modern interface and the ability - from the Developer screen - to 'stay awake' while plugged in. It is also slower, and the Service Station takes so long to load that the system asks me if I should wait or close (I wait, it eventually starts).

I still need the full-sized USB host and HDMI connector, so it is still the right hardware, but how can I recommend a device to someone when it crashes routinely in sleep mode?

Yes, the hardware is tops! But the innards of your Thrive, wow, I so regret that for you---not that my regret improves your situation. I'm wondering why our Thrives have such diverse reactions to the ics os version . . . and I suppose it is because we all use different apps . . . I've probably downloaded no more than 6-10 apps total (which I'm sure is nothing compared to most tab users).

Have you spoken with Toshiba tech support regarding all these issues with your Thrive??? I would expect Toshiba to replace my device if it had all those problems. Please keep us posted on your progress in returning your Thrive to working order . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty