I have a Thrive right now.

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it released or did they screw up? I have a ton of questions for you - if you don't mind ;)

I keep seeing people say that they will be able to tether with their Android phones through the USB cord (since it has a USB slot). That is not automatic is it? I know that I have to use the Easy Tether program on my laptop to connect it with my phone. As far as I know, there is not an Android 3.1 tablet app to connect the phone tether to the tablet yet - is there?

Also the video that I saw - it seems kind of thick, is it signicantly thicker than an iPad? Does it get really hot and did they make it without a pesky fan? Sorry for so many questions, I am trying to decide if I should get one!

Reactions: bn

tre9099

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Is it released or did they screw up? I have a ton of questions for you - if you don't mind ;)
They definitely screwed up. :) I believe that unbeknownst to them, they sold me their only one.

I keep seeing people say that they will be able to tether with their Android phones through the USB cord (since it has a USB slot). That is not automatic is it? I know that I have to use the Easy Tether program on my laptop to connect it with my phone. As far as I know, there is not an Android 3.1 tablet app to connect the phone tether to the tablet yet - is there?
I just connected my Nexus S to the Thrive and it does receive full current for charging. I was also able to browse the Nexus from Toshiba File Manager by clicking the USB storage icon. Now, as far as USB tethering, I enabled it on the Nexus and nothing seemed to occur on the Thirve other than the USB storage being disabled. I'd imagine an app is needed on the Thrive. Truthfully, I haven't read the (thick) manual, so I may be missing something.

Also the video that I saw - it seems kind of thick, is it signicantly thicker than an iPad? Does it get really hot and did they make it without a pesky fan? Sorry for so many questions, I am trying to decide if I should get one!
It's a little thicker than the iPad. I have a digital thickness scale, and I'll update with it's exact thickness tomorrow morning. It does not get hot at all, even when gaming. No fan. :)

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
How is the screen, is it glass, IPS? How about the smoothness of the OS on the device? Any bugs so far?

Those are the things I have been wondering about as well.

I bought The Samsung galaxy tab 10" last week to try it out, with full intentions of returning it to bestbuy on the 15th when the Thrive comes out.
The galaxy tab seems a little laggy at times going from one screen to another
It is also so thin and slippery my big fingers have a hard time holding it, so a little thicker with a rubber back on the Thrive will be welcome with me.

Give us an update when you get the time

Hitch

tre9099

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
How is the screen, is it glass, IPS? How about the smoothness of the OS on the device? Any bugs so far?

The display is really nice. Looking at the settings there are two Toshiba-specific options for both the display and sound. The one for the display is enabled by default, and seems to make the colors very good looking. I actually uploaded some of my photos from my Canon 5D directly onto the Thrive using USB and they display isn't too far off from my calibrated Cinema HD display. I do not believe it is IPS, but it is definitely glass. The OS runs very smoothly. For some reason it runs more smoothly than the Asus Transformer and gSlates I evaluated. Only bug I've seen is that when I accessed the UI of a piece of software my company makes it caused the browser to crash. I have seen this on other devices though.

tre9099

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried gtalk yet, but certainly will this evening. The Kaspersky program when opened prompts me to trial it, buy it, or enter a code. The trial is a 30day full featured trial. The program itself seems pretty comprehensive, and well thought out.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried gtalk yet, but certainly will this evening. The Kaspersky program when opened prompts me to trial it, buy it, or enter a code. The trial is a 30day full featured trial. The program itself seems pretty comprehensive, and well thought out.

Thanks, amana9! Please give us a report of the gtalk after you try it. :)

What do you think of the Toshiba Media Player? How does it compare with Windows MP?

Last edited:

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Are we able to remove manufacturer's apps like the Kaspersky app like we can on the HTC EVO 3D (and I believe the Thunderbolt too). Once that trial is over, the app would be useless.. =/

kitster

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Can I ask what location sold you the Thrive?

Also, how do videos you shoot look? I know the videos shot on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 were very poor. I had heard that the Thrive has something going on that upconverted videos and photos. Any sign of that?

How heavy is it?

tre9099

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Are we able to remove manufacturer's apps like the Kaspersky app like we can on the HTC EVO 3D (and I believe the Thunderbolt too). Once that trial is over, the app would be useless.. =/

The 'extra' apps are present in the application settings area, and can be removed. :)

tre9099

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Can I ask what location sold you the Thrive?

Also, how do videos you shoot look? I know the videos shot on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 were very poor. I had heard that the Thrive has something going on that upconverted videos and photos. Any sign of that?

How heavy is it?

PM me for the location, I do not want to openly advertise it but will gladly tell anyone who PMs me. It's near Atlanta, GA though.

The video quality is excellent! In fact, that was one of the first features I tried. I had my wife 'model' in front of our car in the BB parking lot and shot a HD video. I then loaded it on to my MP at home and was highly impressed with what I saw. I had to make sure it came from my tablet. :p

To answer your question, yes Toshiba does have proprietary 'processors' for both audio and video. Video is enabled by default and affects all visuals displayed on the screen. It also affects recorded video and outputted video quality. The sound processor is disabled by default.

I'm not sure on the weight. Anecdotally, I find it about average, but with above average handling and comfort. The rear material really ups comfort.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Does the Nexus S allow you to tether to the tablet? I know you said USB tether didn't work, but what about normal tether?

What about streaming YouTube and playback of HD video? I know that the ASUS has problems with it, even on 3.1.

Overall, what do you like about the tablet and what don't you like about it? Do you think it's a worthy investment to buy it now or to wait a while? It has full-size ports, but the specs are the same as all other tablets right now.

I'm still looking at Archos' 101 G9 because of the 1.5GHz processor which SHOULD be faster than the 1GHz Tegra 2 that every tablet is using now.

tre9099

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Does the Nexus S allow you to tether to the tablet? I know you said USB tether didn't work, but what about normal tether?

What about streaming YouTube and playback of HD video? I know that the ASUS has problems with it, even on 3.1.

Overall, what do you like about the tablet and what don't you like about it? Do you think it's a worthy investment to buy it now or to wait a while? It has full-size ports, but the specs are the same as all other tablets right now.

I'm still looking at Archos' 101 G9 because of the 1.5GHz processor which SHOULD be faster than the 1GHz Tegra 2 that every tablet is using now.
Ok. Youtube HD playback is buttery smooth. I watched some movie and game trailers to test. This is possibly due to Toshiba's proprietary processors, but I'm not sure.

Now as far as what I like and don't like- It is easily the most 'full featured' honeycomb tablet out there, and I feel more secure having a user replaceable battery. Now, in truth I know that I will probably never purchase a second battery, but it makes me feel better, and is something I like to encourage in all electronics vendors. I feel that having full size ports does add a pretty awesome degree of functionality. For example, particularly with a modified OS you could do some very powerful things with a full size, full power USB port. The full size HDMI also takes the hassle out of TV and projector connection. No dongles to break or lose.

Now, I'm with you that all Honeycomb tablets have the same 'brains' right now. I do not believe that the same architecture going to 1.5GHz is going to make an appreciable difference, but more speed is more speed. :) I think it is better to buy the best of the current generation. Otherwise, you need to wait until the next true upgrade. Incremental stuff is probably not worth waiting for.

Now, as far as tethering; do you mean using the tablet's network connection for my phone? One thing I've done several times is enable my phone's (nexus s) wifi tether and the tablet flew with it. That's not really anything special though!

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Youtube HD playback is buttery smooth. I watched some movie and game trailers to test. This is possibly due to Toshiba's proprietary processors, but I'm not sure.

Now as far as what I like and don't like- It is easily the most 'full featured' honeycomb tablet out there, and I feel more secure having a user replaceable battery. Now, in truth I know that I will probably never purchase a second battery, but it makes me feel better, and is something I like to encourage in all electronics vendors. I feel that having full size ports does add a pretty awesome degree of functionality. For example, particularly with a modified OS you could do some very powerful things with a full size, full power USB port. The full size HDMI also takes the hassle out of TV and projector connection. No dongles to break or lose.

Now, I'm with you that all Honeycomb tablets have the same 'brains' right now. I do not believe that the same architecture going to 1.5GHz is going to make an appreciable difference, but more speed is more speed. :) I think it is better to buy the best of the current generation. Otherwise, you need to wait until the next true upgrade. Incremental stuff is probably not worth waiting for.

Now, as far as tethering; do you mean using the tablet's network connection for my phone? One thing I've done several times is enable my phone's (nexus s) wifi tether and the tablet flew with it. That's not really anything special though!

Ya, that's what I meant. :)

I never thought about just getting the best current tablet. But I'm really worried about Toshiba's support for their first tablet. When ICS comes, would it get the upgrade? the Archos is coming in September...and that's the month before Q4 2011 so it probably wont' get ICS right away while Thrive might.

It's just something that's concerning me, but it's good to know that it's not that bad of a tablet.

How is the HDMI connections? Have you been able to connect it and try it out? Does it simultaneously broadcast between tablet and TV/monitor?

tre9099

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Ya, that's what I meant. :)

I never thought about just getting the best current tablet. But I'm really worried about Toshiba's support for their first tablet. When ICS comes, would it get the upgrade? the Archos is coming in September...and that's the month before Q4 2011 so it probably wont' get ICS right away while Thrive might.

It's just something that's concerning me, but it's good to know that it's not that bad of a tablet.

How is the HDMI connections? Have you been able to connect it and try it out? Does it simultaneously broadcast between tablet and TV/monitor?

My feeling on Toshiba is that they are taking the tablet market seriously. They announced a few weeks ago that they felt tablets are a strategic product and the future of their consumer goods direction.

As far as upgrades, while I think Toshiba will be good, you can never really know. Given the Thrive's flexibility I would think the community will be taking care of rom needs for quite some time.

The HDMI works great. However, if you wish to drive the display (I use a new Samsung 8000 LCD) to display in full 1080p, the tablet turns off. It can do 720p without turning off for some reason. (???) When you plug in the HDMI a notification pops up that takes you to video settings.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
My feeling on Toshiba is that they are taking the tablet market seriously. They announced a few weeks ago that they felt tablets are a strategic product and the future of their consumer goods direction.

As far as upgrades, while I think Toshiba will be good, you can never really know. Given the Thrive's flexibility I would think the community will be taking care of rom needs for quite some time.

The HDMI works great. However, if you wish to drive the display (I use a new Samsung 8000 LCD) to display in full 1080p, the tablet turns off. It can do 720p without turning off for some reason. (???) When you plug in the HDMI a notification pops up that takes you to video settings.

I didn't know that they announced that though...hm. I heard that they're going to release another tablet later this year and that the Thrive would be a family of tablets. What I'm hoping is that they continue to support the original without just making an ICS tablet and that's it.

That's weird about the display issue. While I don't have a 1080p TV (it's 720p), my monitor is 1080p. I wonder if Toshiba will fix the issue later.

I suppose we'll see if Toshiba will update as quick as ASUS has when Android 3.2 releases later this summer. That's supposed to be the last Honeycomb update before ICS.