Mesmerize 2.3 Gingerbread Upgrade

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a mesmerize anymore but I might update my wifes mesmerize.
I'm shocked that Samsung put it out so quickly after froyo, and that us cell approved it so quickly

drwp

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I updated last night. It did not wipe my phone clean as promised, just had to reset a couple widgets and re-enter log-in info for the Amazon app-store.
The update does not appear that different, the phone seems a bit snappier and the graphics are different, but the transition from 2.2 to 2.3 does not seem as extreme as going from 2.1 to 2.2 did.
I had some trouble this morning getting my WiFi to connect correctly, but I haven't dug in to it to see if it was an issue with my phone or my home WiFi set up.

DCooper323

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
what ive noticed in 24 hours of the update:

-Startup from OFF to ready to text is alot quicker.
-Overall operation is alot faster
-icons at the top have changed a little bit
-improved battery life
-better reception
-i HATE the keyboard. I want my old one back

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I just stumbled across this... came out today! Im nervous to upgrade since i upgraded to the 2.2 the first day it came out... and everyone at UScell looked at me like i was crazy til few weeks of other complaints. aplus i finally rearranged my phone and settings to my likings.. not sure if i wanna reinstall it all over again
Anyone try it out yet?

I just updated mine to Gingerbread and i didn't have to rearrange anything and my apps were all still on there and nothing was changed at all besides the software. I just did it a hour ago and yeah it hasnt been long but i havent had any problems yet.

regalsoft

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just upgraded last night. What a difference!!!! The performance improvement is fantastic! This is now finally the phone I had hoped for. I had been on Froyo since it first came out and I have had soooo much trouble with reliability. I usually had to reboot the phone at least twice a day from lock-ups. Everything is now so smooth. No hesitations like before. Everything seems to work better. Even my hotspot connections seem faster. It has only been 1 day so far so my assessment may be premature when it comes to long term reliability.

The upgrade did not want to work at first. It got to the screen where it tries to detect the phone from my PC and it would not detect it. The "Next" button just stayed disabled. At first I thought it was because I'm running Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit or maybe because I have USB 3.0 ports. So I tried it on a different Vista machine and I realized there was a status bar at the bottom of the screen that was not visible in my Windows 7 box. The status was showing "Detecting phone...." (or something like that). It stayed that way for a good 5 minutes before it FINALLY found the phone and everything was smooth from there on. Perhaps it would have worked fine on my Windows 7 machine if I had just waited long enough. Anyway, the update went perfectly and all my data and settings were completely INTACT!. I had backed up everything just in case but everything was still there. I immediately started getting my emails and it even showed me that I had missed a call during the upgrade. Awesome! I encourage everyone to do the upgrade. You will not be disappointed. :cool:

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So you guys did it off the UScc site? Im still on the 2.2 froyo... was waiting to see how more experienced people like it.

BUT on the 2.2, im currently having same issues that I had originally on the 2.2 back in March/april time... missing calls (phone doesnt ring but if they leave me a VM , thats only way I know) ... Could this be because of the new update that my phone needs>?

dixie_boysles

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded the other day and absolutely LOVE it. I HATED, even LOATHED 2.2. but i love this update. No more lag whatsoever, runs my LauncherPro really smooth too!

dixie_boysles

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
here is the link for the upgrade. pretty simple to do

Android Downloads | Android-Powered Phones | U.S. Cellular

But you WILL notice a difference in performance, signal, and battery life for sure!

You will notice the notification bar is different up top:

SC20110906-142412.jpg

Rocky2#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just upgraded last night. What a difference!!!! The performance improvement is fantastic! This is now finally the phone I had hoped for. I had been on Froyo since it first came out and I have had soooo much trouble with reliability. I usually had to reboot the phone at least twice a day from lock-ups. Everything is now so smooth. No hesitations like before. Everything seems to work better. Even my hotspot connections seem faster. It has only been 1 day so far so my assessment may be premature when it comes to long term reliability.

The upgrade did not want to work at first. It got to the screen where it tries to detect the phone from my PC and it would not detect it. The "Next" button just stayed disabled. At first I thought it was because I'm running Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit or maybe because I have USB 3.0 ports. So I tried it on a different Vista machine and I realized there was a status bar at the bottom of the screen that was not visible in my Windows 7 box. The status was showing "Detecting phone...." (or something like that). It stayed that way for a good 5 minutes before it FINALLY found the phone and everything was smooth from there on. Perhaps it would have worked fine on my Windows 7 machine if I had just waited long enough. Anyway, the update went perfectly and all my data and settings were completely INTACT!. I had backed up everything just in case but everything was still there. I immediately started getting my emails and it even showed me that I had missed a call during the upgrade. Awesome! I encourage everyone to do the upgrade. You will not be disappointed. :cool:

Hmmm...I'm stuck at the part where it's trying to detect the phone. It's saying "Detecting port" in the bottom left of the box. Should I just wait it out? USB debugging connected should be enabled, correct?

Reactions: moliticon

jdavis1019

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
here is the link for the upgrade. pretty simple to do

But you WILL notice a difference in performance, signal, and battery life for sure!

You will notice the notification bar is different up top:

I'm trying to get the 2.3 update for my phone too but this site doesn't support the build number of my phone (which is EE25). Is there anyway other way I can update my phone without having to root it?

Chevyracing252

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I just want to know if anyone has found a way to successfully root the 2.3.4 Gingerbread update on the Mesmerize yet. I was rooted prior to installing the 2.3.4 update and now I have all of the USC Crap-Ware back on my phone and can't uninstall it until I get rooted again.

Thanks in advance.

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
did all of you back up all your data? Im reading the step by step on how to..did you store it all to your gmail or exchange mail accounts?

Im not all that smart with this stuff, know the basics.

drwp

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I backed up my contacts to my SD card, but nothing got erased. It was the least destructive of any of the updates we've had on this phone, had to reset a couple of widgets and that was it.

AlterPostal

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Its almost 2 weeks since the update and I agree with everyone saying this is sooo much better and this is what this phone was meant to be.

Most noticeable changes:

- Signal Quality (not quantity)

Before I noticed that every now and then, the signal bar would go from 3 bars, down to no bars, back to 3 or 2, while at the same location (not in movement like commuting) like in my room. But most importantly, the 3G usage would be very choppy if less than 3 bars. I lived in doubt if I was getting all my calls and txts.

Now, even tho the dBm of the signal gain are about the same (just a bit better), the signal seems solid, no crazy ups or downs. The 3G is much better and stable.

- Power Management

Even tho, I managed to get the phone to last just over a day 1/2, with moderate usage, and had no complains on this topic (I'm aware of what process is using cpu/gps/3G/etc so I limit for the most part what I need to run and don't), now power management is an overachiever.

Now with the in-OS power usage graph, I can see a bit more in deph what I stated before. And I can see that in general the cpu usage of the OS system procss are reduced to a minimum and some are not even using cpu on the long periods on standby that I leave my phone while at work. Some others are not even present in this version of 2.3

- Performance (Memory & CPU Management for running/cached Apps)

This is my favorite improvement by far, the usage is now faster, no lag, no jumpy animations of the OS or apps, seems much smoother, apps launch and run better. Because of this the initialization of the phone is faster and the "launcher" runs better (like someone said before on both points).
I use ADW EX (I upgraded to EX after this OS upgrade since I noticed it was goin to be worth it) and I freaking LOVE it.

The apps in the background/cached seem to stay minimized on mem & CPU usage. It makes sense that now the phone runs better. I stopped using app-killers since I discovered System Panel from NextApp back in 2.1. Believe me guys, there's NO need for app-killers on a reg basis if you take a real look of what's runnning what on the system. The stock Task Manager is more than enough to kill a frozen app.

- Cosmetic Improvements

The most noticeable is the Status Bar (Task/Whatever-you-name-it/Top Bar), the OS Icons are different and its black background, coincides with the general theme of black-darkgrey-neongreen of the rest menus, submenus.
But I don't know if it's me or I see the graphics (icons, text, lines, curves, transparencies) a tiny bit more sharper/better. I dont know, but anyway, the general feel of the screen seems a bit better, to the point that I don't envy anymore the snappier/smooth animations (and sharpness) I'm used to on my iPod 4, and I feel that the full potential of the bright-colored AMOLED screen is now at it's best.

- As usual "where there's good, there's bad"

The only mayor CON, is what it appears to have been the tradeoff to improve the Cell Signal and Power Management. The Wi-Fi signal pickup is now a bit weaker (notice this "weaker"). Ya if it was weak before, now is a bit weaker, not much, but enough to be noticed by the very in-detail user. It seems to be a limitation related to power management, but also because of this, it seems that the Wi-Fi doesn't drains the battery as it did before (it was one of the biggest batt-hogs).

This is all I have noticed, aside of a couple of small changes under the menu options here and there. Some apps work better with 2.3.4 some others are getting there, some games have even better gaming experience, etc, etc.

I definitely recommend this upgrade and to do it from scratch, doesn't take much more time to backup your stuff to the SD card and restore it. It will give you the feeling of a new phone again :)

** For those of you having problems of USB detection, I had this too but I knew it's a very small flaw on the driver comunicating with Windows and Phone (That is if you have already triple-checked that the USB setting on the phone is set to Kies!!). I got it on the second connection/try.

No big deal, just:
- Close samsung program (optional)

- Disconnect Phone USB

- Wait until Windows shows the change (open Windows Device Management, list devices by connection and there you'll see what I'm talking about)

- Reconnect, you should see the >>Samsung ADB Interface and Modem<< besides the USB Mass Storage Device (SD Card), if it's only the Mass Storage, it didn't detected properly.

* If it's good to go, leave it connected, open Samsung Updater program and go thru the steps WITH phone connected. Ta-da.

- Repeat if not good. It shouldn't take more than 3 times; if so, restart PC; not yet? There's definitely a problem with your PC's installation of the driver.

- Uninstall ALL Samsung programs and drivers from PC, do a full restart of Windows and Reinstall Samsung Updater program. Restart. Try again.

- Not yet?? Use another PC or go to USCC store.

I hope this helps.

bootle

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I did the upgrade to Gingerbread using a PC with Windows 7 yesterday. It went well after I updated the SAMSUNG Android USB Composite Device driver. My upgrade was hung at the same point you mentioned - I recall seeing a "Detecting port" message in the lower left of the window. Exited the window, updated the device driver, restarted the upgrade and it went fine. I had to have the USB device attached to the phone and PC in order to see the SAMSUNG device in the Device Manager window. Right-click and select Update Driver Software ... Phone works nice. Battery seems to last longer and it runs a little faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci