Gift Phone.. User Error? lol

MikeW471

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So my cousin gave me his old Samsung Mesmerize (ICH-i500) running 2.3.5 to replace my olllld BlackBerry Tour 9630(RIP)

I have no qualms with this phone(Save for these strange transparent yet annoying whitish lines that appear on the screen regularly)

Now my question is, how can I maximize performance on this phone?
I'd like to remove these stock apps
As you can tell I think I'm talking about root-ing my mesmerize.

Before I am chastised for not Searching first lemme tell ya, I've been reading the pro's and con's on this for a good 2 hours.

I just want to most up to date info on it... This is a rather old smart phone and the only reason I have it is because it was a 2nd hand gift and my first Android(yay...)

TL;DR:
New Android user. Interested in root-ing for kernel education and access. Need UP TO DATE info. (Latest Software and maybe a tut would be a beautiful thing)

Oh and thanks for running a fantastic forum. I learned a lot tonight.

MikeW471

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted up to date info on what files need to be downloaded.
These OneClick widgets and Titanium backup.
Honestly I'm just concerned with the RAM usage on my phone.
RAM Status: 280MB/368MB.
Not critical, but i would like to free up my physical memory.
Could root-ing help me?

MikeW471

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I guess the Galaxy S forum isn't highly populated.
I knew i was making a mistake accepting this newbie smartphone.

I will wait until someone provides information on reliable/newest freeware to root.=\

MikeW471

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Look many I'm in the wrong section. Maybe my phone is too old. Maybe I have a dumb question.

But geez no one could even troll this post?
Thanks a lot.
Just needed more recent info. I don't feel like downloading outdated tar files and SuperOneClick and end up bricked.

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Look many I'm in the wrong section. Maybe my phone is too old. Maybe I have a dumb question.

But geez no one could even troll this post?
Thanks a lot.
Just needed more recent info. I don't feel like downloading outdated tar files and SuperOneClick and end up bricked.

Check the stickies section in this forum bro. Ur in the right section, but there is no 'up to date' way to root it. Its an old phone, thus, the rooting process is old, not new. It will work. Just do it. ;)

-------------------------------------
Bacon in my coffee please? you don't have any bacon??!! Unacceptable!!!

MikeW471

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you my friend.
A bit embarrassed now.:confused:
Estimated prep time: 15 min.
I talked to an employee @ US Cellular and he didn't even thinking rooting was a bad idea for me.

Plus around Thanksgiving I'll be upgrading to the Galaxy S3. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair