1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

Default Froyo update

stopped into my local USC store today and asked the manager about the update schedule and proceedure. He did a bit of digging on USCs internal site and couldn't get the answer he was looking for so he called their tech dept.
    According to the tech on the other end of the conversation, the Froyo update for the Mesmerize is on schedule to be dumped via Samsung Kies through the USC website second week of February, i.e end of next week!
    The manager did make the comment that even though USC is overly cautious with updates, he would wait a week or two to make sure everything went smoothly with the roleout.
    Great news!

It does seem a bit ironic that USC was the last carrier to adapt the Galaxy S and it will be one of the first in the US to get 2.2! We may complain that they are slow to get new phones, but when they do, they usually do it right!

Cheers!

Good news. They must be providing an updated Kies as well, because the last time I tried to use Kies it didn't recognize my phone.

Believe it when its released i was told yesterday by uscc data tech hat froyo update is March.

Update was moved up from march to the first weeks in Feb

Global Posts
    2,162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Just purchased a mesmerize tonight, manager said couple of weeks on 2.2 so looking forward to it
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

Actually the latest USC press release states it as "early Febuary", and their device calender also lists it early this month so I would tend to be optimistic...tech commented that 2.2 has been running for some time on test Mesmerize units without a hitch and had gone much better then antisipated.
    Though we all know any hint of a hangup with an upgrade will send USC into ultra conservitive mode! Guess I'd rather wait a little while for perfect Froyo then a bricked phone today!

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Since the Mez is my first Android phone, I wonder if I should root and make a full backup prior to the FroYo update coming out.

I always made backups of my BlackBerry prior to OS updates, knowing that BB updates actually wow the phone as part of the process. I would hate to lose data on my Mez.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )

Wait for the update and then root your phone. Because if do it before the update you may have to reroot after updating.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

Well, hate to say this but at this point I think it is a fair assumption that since the Froyo update for the Desire dropped yesterday, the Mesmerize may well be stuck waiting for a while to get 2.2. I hope I'm mistaken but, I just can't see USC rolling out another major customer service event while one is already in progress! The tech dept. will be pretty busy walking customers through the upgrade AND the normal glitches that pop up much less a posible major issue without tempting fate with a second roleout at the same time!
    What does this mean for Mesmerize owners? If USCs resent upgrade history is any indicator, we may be on the sidelines for a while...the Acclaim got 2.2 on Jan. 13, almost a month ago, it is a very real posibility that the Mesmerize may wait a similar time period for the Desire roleout to get completed before USC dumps 2.2 for the Mesmerize!
    Don't mean to be a downer here, but I guess we have to look at the facts...The thing that REALLY bites here, the USC tech department has had several Mesmerize phones running Froyo flawlessly for some time now!
    Again all I can say is I hope I'm mistaken!
    Cheers!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

If I'm not mistaken, if you root now, you would have to "unroot" before updating to 2.2 since the update will not work on a rooted phone.
    Cheers

Yes, and if you're like me and don't know jack about rooting or unrooting you may know that if you root your phone it voids the warranty and US Cellular, even with their Belief Project, will not replace your phone if it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by jokout1 View Post
    stopped into my local USC store today and asked the manager about the update schedule and proceedure. He did a bit of digging on USCs internal site and couldn't get the answer he was looking for so he called their tech dept.
    According to the tech on the other end of the conversation, the Froyo update for the Mesmerize is on schedule to be dumped via Samsung Kies through the USC website second week of February, i.e end of next week!
    The manager did make the comment that even though USC is overly cautious with updates, he would wait a week or two to make sure everything went smoothly with the roleout.
    Great news!

It does seem a bit ironic that USC was the last carrier to adapt the Galaxy S and it will be one of the first in the US to get 2.2! We may complain that they are slow to get new phones, but when they do, they usually do it right!

Cheers!
    So where is the update? I want froyo now! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

yes, as I posted above, we do not have 2.2 yet and probably will have to wait a while for it. I'm man enough to admit that much.

Though, I do find it interesting that while the Desire has beat us to the Froyo punch, HTC seems to have missed the boat a bit with this update if all the negitive posts are any evidence of the problems that have come to the surface with this firmware! All of these OEMs seem to be having problems keeping their phones updated, not just Samsung! Back in my WinMo. days, HTC had a horendous time upgrading to 6.5
    While we are all waiting anxously for Froyo on our Mesmerize, I sure hope Samsung/USCC has done a better with the 2.2 upgrade when we finally get it!

Cheers

Global Posts
    2,162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Stopped at the USCc store last night and the rep who had sold us our phones had no new news on 2.2. If nothing comes out in a couple weeks I may try the leaked version.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Default Froyo

I did the Froyo leak yesterday and it was very simple to do if you follow the instructions. It almost seemed easier to do than the BB OS updates I am used to. I was a little nervous at first but then once it was completed I didn't know what I was worried about. Definitely enjoy the added app2sd card option as well as a few little things that come with Froyo as well.
    Thanked by:
    john_v 

Global Posts
    2,162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Quote Originally Posted by md0600 View Post
    I did the Froyo leak yesterday and it was very simple to do if you follow the instructions. It almost seemed easier to do than the BB OS updates I am used to. I was a little nervous at first but then once it was completed I didn't know what I was worried about. Definitely enjoy the added app2sd card option as well as a few little things that come with Froyo as well.
    Thanks for the info! I remember the first time I upgraded my BB OS, and also the first time I changed the bezel...I was sweatin' the whole time. But it turned out to not be so bad.

I'll definitely keep the leak in mind, give USCC a couple more weeks.

Cool Official 2.2 Release

I stopped by US Cellular store on 2/21. The tech guys were saying by the
    end of March. I hope it is sooner than that. One of the sales guys hinted that they are trying really hard to get this out before the 1st quarter is up.

So much for early February.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

yeah if you follow the directions its really simple. The only real pain is getting everything setup again after you do it but it gives you a chance to not download apps you don't need anymore. Having Flash and the capabilities to save apps to the SD card is definitely worth it.

Is there a best/easiest way? Something ***** proof (which I need).

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moose drool View Post
    Is there a best/easiest way? Something ***** proof (which I need).
    just read through this thread and it pretty much explains it all

http://forum.androidcentral.com/u-s-...tock-root.html

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

i may be wrong but if one roots their phone and also updates to 2.2 at the same time why worrry about a OTA update.. they have to let ev 1 with the device to be updated to not make any calls or use the phone for anything while the update happens.. so if i root and i plan to and get 2.2 along with the root.. when they offer a new update i will just stick with the android croud and ride the waves with them..
    i currently own a Fascinate,, love the phone,, but hate to feel left out in the cold or better yet i am not a mushroom,, so unless i hear other wise.. root n update placing the fascinate in my hands and some what away fromm verizons hands..
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

Well enough is enough...stopped in the USCC store Saturday and was told end of March at best now! The tech kinda hinted all the little issues with the Desire upgrade, ( they are now having all users bring in their phones to have the tech upgrade them!), and some of the other Galaxy S models has given USCC pause and they want to test a bit longer to certify the update, so when i got home Froyo leak went on my Mes! I had downloaded all the needed files and had them ready to go so in a matter of about an hour which included backup, 2.2.1 was up and running!
    Froyo is nice, but you will do well to not expect miracles, it will seem REALLY fast at first but keep in mind this is with a clean slate and will gradually start to slow a bit to a more realistic pace when you actually load all your apps and setup your accounts again! While flash and Apps to SD are nice , the many little improvements AND the new browser speed have been the nicest upgrade to me! Have yet to test the battery life directly, but I would expect it to be a bit less then 2.1 while I play with the setup on 2.2 and get used to all of the little diferences. I would be surprised if the battery performance wasn't on par with 2.1 once I get this optimized like my 2.1 setup! All in all, I'm liking this a lot but again don't expect this to be a HUGE bump like it is in the HTC phones!
    Also, odin is about as ***** proof as an upgrade gets! just read everything 3 times and make sure you understand it all!

Cheers
    Thanked by:
    john_v 

Global Posts
    2,162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

Have to agree with jokout...the upgrade process is very ***** proof, as long as you read all the instructions and follow them exactly! Am now running froyo!

Quote Originally Posted by jokout1 View Post
    Well enough is enough...stopped in the USCC store Saturday and was told end of March at best now! The tech kinda hinted all the little issues with the Desire upgrade, ( they are now having all users bring in their phones to have the tech upgrade them!), and some of the other Galaxy S models has given USCC pause and they want to test a bit longer to certify the update, so when i got home Froyo leak went on my Mes! I had downloaded all the needed files and had them ready to go so in a matter of about an hour which included backup, 2.2.1 was up and running!
    Froyo is nice, but you will do well to not expect miracles, it will seem REALLY fast at first but keep in mind this is with a clean slate and will gradually start to slow a bit to a more realistic pace when you actually load all your apps and setup your accounts again! While flash and Apps to SD are nice , the many little improvements AND the new browser speed have been the nicest upgrade to me! Have yet to test the battery life directly, but I would expect it to be a bit less then 2.1 while I play with the setup on 2.2 and get used to all of the little diferences. I would be surprised if the battery performance wasn't on par with 2.1 once I get this optimized like my 2.1 setup! All in all, I'm liking this a lot but again don't expect this to be a HUGE bump like it is in the HTC phones!
    Also, odin is about as ***** proof as an upgrade gets! just read everything 3 times and make sure you understand it all!

Cheers