1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default How is the Ubuntu phone?

Hey guys. I heard some time ago that the Ubuntu Phone is out, well you can install it to some phones. I was wondering about doing this myself, how hard is the install process? Is it easy for a noob like myself to install on any android phone? On the Ubuntu site, it says that it's for developers and industry partners. Would I be able to install it on my phone and play around with it? Or is it advisable to just wait until an actual phone is released or a download is made that makes it easier for everyone else to use?
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,765 Global Posts

Default Re: How is the Ubuntu phone?

I had a Galaxy Nexus GSM a couple months ago, and I installed Ubuntu. The flashing process itself was simple enough. You need to install Ubuntu on your PC (if you don't have a Linux machine), but that's easy enough as well. However, Ubuntu on the Nexus didn't work well at all. It was very slow, hung a lot, and not much of anything worked.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Re: How is the Ubuntu phone?

Yeah I did some further reading and I figured I'd hold off until everything was squared away. I am not risking any of my phones right now, so I'll wait until they make it available, pre-installed on phones that I can just buy. I'm not sure why they haven't done this yet though, I'd buy an Ubuntu phone if they ever decide to make one.