Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bloatware

Anyone else surprised by how little bloatware is on this? It's so not like the US Cellular I know! I wonder if that's how we were able to get it at nearly the same time as the big four.

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

Default Re: Bloatware

I have to agree, I can't remember the last USCC phone I had without a "My navigator" icon on it LOL!
    The down side of this is USCC looks to be moving toward a more typical "carrier" personality with their business model with extending the upgrade periods, activation fees, changing their plans, devaluing the belief points, and charged tethering! The next few monthes will be interesting to see just how all this unfolds!

Cheers

I have not got my S3 yet but as I was shopping the USCC website for the S3 I see they are charging for the "wifi hot spot and tethering"now. My question does it still work on the S3 without paying for the extra connection? It worked on my old Samsung without paying.
    As long as I don't go over my data limit I don't see the reason for the charge.

Ron
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I believe if you root you can install an app for this. I haven't looked for a long time, but they may make apps that do not require root now.....not sure. At any rate, I don't believe you can use the stock app without the extra fee.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmc1954 View Post
    I have not got my S3 yet but as I was shopping the USCC website for the S3 I see they are charging for the "wifi hot spot and tethering"now. My question does it still work on the S3 without paying for the extra connection? It worked on my old Samsung without paying.
    As long as I don't go over my data limit I don't see the reason for the charge.

Ron

I agree, and this was the main thing I was worried about losing due to upgrading to this device.

This will be the main reason I root just so that I can get around this feature. I rarely use it anyway, but would be nice to have it back.

Well I got my S3 and the wifi hotspot is disabled. I tried to use it and a message came up that I could use it for a 3 day trial period.
    For me 3 days is about how much I use it in 3 months.
    That's the way it is I guess. I will try some of the apps as suggested.

Ron

I went ahead and rooted it a few days ago just to be able to get the feature back.

I have read where some S3 users have a luck running the app "Foxfi" to get there hotspot back. Well I tried it yesterday, but USCellular still detected I was trying to use my S3 as a hotspot.
    Sounds like rooting is the only way to get it back.

Ron.

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

How did you know that USCC knew what you were doing?

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk.
    Sent using my Moto Droid Turbo BN 64G

Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
    How did you know that USCC knew what you were doing?

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk.
    A text box came up saying "this service requires a data plan please call"
    Something to that effect it's the same message if you try to use the stock hotspot option.

Ron