Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Signal Strength

So it seems my signal strength is not as good on this phone as it was on my S2. It dropped out completely when I was at home yesterday and it just seems like it's overall weaker in a lot of areas.
    Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

I too had the S2 I gave it to my wife when I got the S3 and the signal strength is lower on the S3 side by side in our house my signal is 95 dBm and the S2 is 74 dBm

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Taptalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well, I did get a tweet from uscc that they have some "service effecting issues" in my area (Milwaukee), and they're working on it. Hopefully it gets better!

Default Re: Signal Strength

There is a noticeable difference between the S3 and the Electrify. Many times the singal dbm appears the same yet the electrify holds the call better. It's almost as if the electrify fights to hold on and the S3 just plain gives up and drops the call. Love the device but in this day and age how is it one manufacturer can make a bullet proof radio and another can't?

I don't want to but the S3 may be going back.

Check your baseband version. If it's LF9 that seems to be the culprit for poor reception and from what I've seen LG1 remedies it

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

I have LF9. Is there anything I can do to fix the dropped calls? Not a huge deal because I don't actually talk on the phone much but it is a little annoying.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

Exchange it, take it to a tech and see if they can do it, or check out TeamUSCellular. I believe they have the stock LG1 Odin file

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Mine is lg1.

I just checked mine, and it is LP9. So, that means that I need to take mine in to US Cellular? I have been having signal issues.

I'm also having signal issues. On second s3 and same problems. Mine is LF2. Could that be my issue also? Don't know how to delete, but on wrong carrier. Sorry
    Last edited by Kegs2015; 07-31-2012 at 07:33 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I've heard that Samsung has guaranteed an update within 2 weeks to uscc. Hopefully this pans out as I'm fed up!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin5377 View Post
    I've heard that Samsung has guaranteed an update within 2 weeks to uscc. Hopefully this pans out as I'm fed up!

I really hope your right that would be awesome. Where did you hear this from?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Well, I've since called uscc myself and they told me that there is "something happening very soon". I do not know if that means a patch, hardware repair, or device replacement.
    I would highly recommend to anyone having signal issues to call support and get a device ticket created. Those who have called with signal issues will be the first to be notified of the fix (so I'm told).

Quote Originally Posted by kevin5377 View Post
    Well, I've since called uscc myself and they told me that there is "something happening very soon". I do not know if that means a patch, hardware repair, or device replacement.
    I would highly recommend to anyone having signal issues to call support and get a device ticket created. Those who have called with signal issues will be the first to be notified of the fix (so I'm told).
    They've been saying this since shortly after release when the problem became known. Always a good idea to call tech support with any problems you have so there is at least a record of your issue. There are many topics on this specific issue across all forums with no real resolve for the phone in hand. My fix was another replacement phone, likely from a different manufacturer's batch. My signal issues are gone.

ROM
    2.2.1 froyo EB16, Voodoo

Have to agree with trucky, had this issue from the start and over the course of several calls USCC replaced my GS3 with a new phone...no issues and I'm a happy camper!

Cheers

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Please disregard. Wrong forum.

Samsung and US Cellular have partnered up to do an exchange program for these buggy SIII's out there. If you call Customer Support at USC, tell them you need to talk with Tech Support so you can be put on the list for the Drop Call Exchange for the SIII. The list is already started and more details with be coming out next week directly from USC. But you MUST CALL right away!!!! I've heard from one source that there were a batch where the placed a screw in a bad spot which affects signal quality. I too have a POS III right now, it's essentially a digital camera, not a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by iowastudio View Post
    Samsung and US Cellular have partnered up to do an exchange program for these buggy SIII's out there. If you call Customer Support at USC, tell them you need to talk with Tech Support so you can be put on the list for the Drop Call Exchange for the SIII. The list is already started and more details with be coming out next week directly from USC. But you MUST CALL right away!!!! I've heard from one source that there were a batch where the placed a screw in a bad spot which affects signal quality. I too have a POS III right now, it's essentially a digital camera, not a phone.
    I called shortly after I read this and the Tech Support didn't know anything about the Drop Call Exchange. But I went ahead and created a device ticket so they will call me as soon as they have a answer to the problem. So who knows.

You hear lots of stories but I'm not putting a high level of confidence in any of them until they come from USCC directly. If a screw were placed in a "bad spot" then the entire design would have to be reworked. You can't just put a screw someplace where it isn't designed to be screwed in. I also heard that they were trying to limit the potential radiation to your head so they reduced the output of the radio... still yet another unconfirmed report. But the underlying truth is you do need to call if you're having problems, even if they are unable to resolve them now. Having a record of the issue in your files will only help if you attempt an exchange or repair later.

I received this information directly from a US Cellular Rep, I saw the email US Cellular sent the Rep. The screw information was from a USC tech over the phone, so that is still speculation, however I GUARANTEE you there is a DROP CALL EXCHANGE list, it's so new that most of the techs may not know about it until it's released in the upcoming week(s). I'm sure they are still going through training on what to tell customers, etc. You definitely need to call USC to get a complaint filed regarding your SIII though, everyone that has a complaint in and falls within their exchange guidelines will get a letter for exchange.

I received this information directly from a US Cellular Rep, I saw the email US Cellular sent the Rep. The screw information was from a USC tech over the phone, so that is still speculation, however I GUARANTEE you there is a DROP CALL EXCHANGE list, it's so new that most of the techs may not know about it until it's released in the upcoming week(s). I'm sure they are still going through training on what to tell customers, etc. You definitely need to call USC to get a complaint filed regarding your SIII though, everyone that has a complaint in and falls within their exchange guidelines will get a letter for exchange.
    I hope this is true. I was just in a local USCC store and the rep said they are going to be doing a update soon. So kevin5377 your right. Hopefully its soon or the Drop Call Exchange come through soon too.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

USCC's facebook update today: "Samsung Galaxy S3 Update – For those of you experiencing increased dropped calls with your new Samsung Galaxy S3, we appreciate your patience. If you are among the small number affected, starting October 1st, you may visit your local U.S. Cellular Store or call customer service to begin the exchange process. Thank you for your detailed feedback; it helped us partner with Samsung on a solution."
    iowastudio likes this.

I bought my S3 just yesterday.. only problem so far is the signal being crap.. I called uscc today and they told me to bring it in and we'll try to resolve the problem.. if we can't we'll be more than happy to exchange it out for a new one or give you a refund (bc I just bought it) so you are able to purchase a different phone of you choice.. I love the S3 so far so I'm going to continue testing it for another day or two.. my area does not yet have 4G up and running.. but 3g works just fine in my area.. so I went to my settings (bottom left) clicked on "settings" then clicked on "more settings" then clicked on "mobile networks" then clicked on "network mode".. here you need to choose (CDMA) only.. but only do this if you are in a area with no 4G available network.. I did this a few hours ago and my phone's signal has been nonstop 3g.. it hasn't dropped to 1x or no bars since

---------- Post Merged at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:53 PM ----------

.... I have yet to drop a call after doing this also.. I hope this fixes my problem cause I surprisingly like this phone..

So far my phone seems to be running fine, i was finally able to make some quick phone calls and didnt have any issues. I even spent the day in town checking my signal at different locations and -94dBm was as bad as it got. So iam hoping mine is a good phone, btw we dont have 4g and my baseband is LG4.

I found if you have any aluminum in your case, your signal quality and data performance is heavily impacted. In my case my aluminum case completely wiped out my data service.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast