Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to assign ringtones to text messages

I just got my Galaxy 3 and so far I love the phone but I can't seem to find anyone who knows if you can take an individual contact (like my daughter) and assign her a different ringtone for when I receive her text messages...I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anywhere where you can do it. All help is appreciated.
    Thanks all!!

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

Default Re: How to assign ringtones to text messages

To my knowledge you cant wit the stock message app. However if you use a app like Go SMS you can set ringtones per contact

Quote Originally Posted by gmmech View Post
    To my knowledge you cant wit the stock message app. However if you use a app like Go SMS you can set ringtones per contact
    That doesnt work for texts, just for calls. There is no way to do it, not even in gosms or handcent. I have had both on this phone. Unfortunately this is something they forgot. I wish I could take things i loves from every phone and put it on this one. It's Damn near perfect, but that would be awesome.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by CChamp View Post
    I just got my Galaxy 3 and so far I love the phone but I can't seem to find anyone who knows if you can take an individual contact (like my daughter) and assign her a different ringtone for when I receive her text messages...I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find anywhere where you can do it. All help is appreciated.
    Thanks all!!
    GoSMS just updated and u can now. Go into individual settings, notifications, choose contact and choose notification like ringtone or LCD light or whatever. Frikkin awesome!!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

I have a Galaxy S3 also and I was wondering the same thing because one day I got a text from my son and the ringtone was completely different than the whistle. It was a small beeping chime. Strange. And since that day his ringtone is completely different than the others. I don't know how that happened and I can't figure it out but if it did that then there must be a way. Strange!!

Ladyjej

I don't know if there is a built-in way to do this, but there a great app that lets you do this - Ringo. It lets you set ringtones and notification tones for each contact.

I have the Galaxy S3 and I'm running on Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and the best way that I found to do this is to simply go to the play store download and install Go SMS Pro and look under notifications a sub menu will pop up look at the bottom of the list and select music, if you have any music that you have put on your phone all of it will be there and you can set individual text message alerts for any1 in your contacts list, I'm sure this will help you it's pretty easy to do

Are you wanting an actual ringtone as a text notification or a different notification sound. If you look in your SD card there is a folder (in media, I think) labeled notifications. You can put whatever tone, mp3, you want in there and it can be used as a notification tone.

On the other hand, on all android devices you can set one with the native app. Open messages, press the menu button, scroll down to notification tone...

Hopefully I helped

USC GS3
    Thanked by:

You can set differents sounds for each of your contacts. I just go to the contact that you want to add a custom sound and put what you want. Should be able to set ringtone and message alert. I have done it for my sons.

I downloaded the GoSms and i was able to set different ringtones, but how can I set the duration? I don't want the whole song to play when someone just sends me a text message... Thanks !

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

you need a short tone for sms alerts, thats why when you look online and on zedge and such the have message tones specifically that are quick 1-2 sec tones usually.

Hi all,

I'm new here and I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, which I LOVE. I had the iPhone 5 before but it pales in comparison to the Note 2. At least I'm not restricted to iTunes any more.

Anyways, regarding custom tones to assign to people for text tones, you CAN do it. If you download or make custom text tones, when the phone is connected via PC you have to drag the files into the phone under the "Ringtone" folder. Windows will probably ask you if you want to convert it, say no because it won't show up.

After that you then go to your individual contacts, edit and select 'Message Alert". After a window popups up you select the file you put on your phone.

I hope this helps!

if you wish to just set a tone for text receipt,try using Handcent SMS , it handles it's own notifications so that you don't have the default notification bound to your text messages

Cool Re: How to assign ringtones to text messages

I just received the s4 active and I have it on AT&T I found that if you have AT&T you have to go into the AT&T messenger and shut off notifications then it works great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by renauldo86 View Post
    Are you wanting an actual ringtone as a text notification or a different notification sound. If you look in your SD card there is a folder (in media, I think) labeled notifications. You can put whatever tone, mp3, you want in there and it can be used as a notification tone.

On the other hand, on all android devices you can set one with the native app. Open messages, press the menu button, scroll down to notification tone...

Hopefully I helped

USC GS3
    looks like my folder is on my device memory

Seems, that
    Messaging / Settings / Notification ringtone
    overrides
    Contact / Message Alert tone
    Or they are the different things?

Never heared a sound I've set in the last place...

rgds,
    Maunu
    SGS3@4.1.2
    Last edited by Maunu Abloy; 08-02-2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: specify

It's easy to do this. You don't even need an app.

I emailed an Alert Ringtone to myself (Al Pacino's Hoohah!)
    Then I opened the email on my phone and downloaded the ringtone - it went to Downloads
    Go to Apps/My Files
    Click All Files
    Click downloads
    press on the ringtone until the menu comes up
    Choose Copy
    go back to All files
    go into notifications folder
    Click Paste Here

You're done.

I have an app called Audiomanager which I opened and clicked on "Alerts" ringtone dropdown menu and voila! There it was, big as life.

It does help but you need to be even more basic.I'm with you when you say connect the phone to the PC then you loose me.Please go through the procedure as if you are talking to a complete novice with 21st century technology.Thanx

thirlwall,
    How about we start at the beginning?
    1. Do you already know how to assign an existing ringtone to a contact? (On my Verizon phone there are about 35 different ringtones to choose from.)
    2. Are you dissatisfied with the built-in ringtones, and if so, have you already downloaded a ringtone that you like to your phone?
    3. Do you know how to use the 'My Files' app to find the file(s) that you downloaded?
    4. Do you know how to copy/paste or move files from within the 'My Files' app?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSder Thanx for getting back I do not know how to assign ringtones.I have downloaded a couple of ringtones.I don't know how to carry out the last two procedures you mention.As I said a complete novice.By the way like the dog we have a Shepherd as well.

thirlwall,
    Let's start with assigning a specific ringtone to a contact.
    1. Open the Contacts app
    2. Scroll down and find a contact; select it
    3. You'll see several groups of information (Phone; Connection; Groups; Ringtone; etc)
    4. In the Ringtone group it should show Default with an arrow - press on the text or arrow
    5. In the Ringtones pop-up dialog select 'Ringtones'
    6. You'll see a list of all of the available built-in ringtones.
    7. As you select each one that specific tone will play. Once you find one that you like, press the OK button and the list will be closed and you'll be returned to the Contact view, with the Ringtone group showing the name of the ringtone that you selected.
    8. Press the Back button until the Contacts app has been closed

Once you're comfortable with this and want to fiddle with custom ringtones let me know.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDER
    Successfully completed first two steps.On selecting a contact I get a picture a number a phone icon a message icon and a video call request and thats it.

Umm, that doesn't sound anything like what I see on my Verizon phone. Maybe Wi-Fi calling changes the basic behavior of the app?

What happens if you edit a contact (by picking the pencil icon in the upper area)? Then does it show you anything to do with ringtones?

GSder I think I am with you now.I was not using the + prior to entering the details of my contacts.I would now like to fiddle with custom ringtones.So fire away

Quote Originally Posted by thirlwall View Post
    I would now like to fiddle with custom ringtones
    Ok, you mentioned before that you had downloaded a couple of ringtones - do you know where they got downloaded? They need to be put hereand more likely than not you downloaded them hereso you just need to move them to where they belong.

If you use the 'My Files' app shown in the screenshots, all you have to do is navigate to the directory where the files got downloaded, click the checkbox next to each file that you want to move, then select the options icon in the upper right cornerand select 'Move'. Then navigate to the Ringtone directory and select the 'Move Here' option.

After that, when you're in the Contacts app and go to select a ringtone, your custom ringtones should be shown in the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast