Tethering without plan on USCC

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tethered with FoxFi, PdaNet, etc. on US Cellular without having the tethering plan? I see that tethering is included in the 5GB plan and 10GB plan, but not 2GB. No need to start the whole "it's my data I'll do what I want with it" argument...

Just wondering if anyone has used it or had problems, I'm planning to help my sister set up tethering on her 2GB plan and she doesn't use much data but I don't want her to get in trouble if they detect it. Thanks.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... so we tried out FoxFi and it technically "worked" but after a bit we got a pop-up message from USCC saying tethering was detected but not authorized, call 611 to activate tethering plan. It still worked after that, but didn't want to push it since we knew they could detect it. Not sure what it would take to get her account flagged. We did have the add-on installed, and the proxy enabled as well.

kansashokie

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
i got that message once mentioned it to a tech at us cell. he said not to worry about it. i still use my foxfi ever since then and havent had any troubles.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
@kansashokie

How often do you tether? Ever get any issues from USCC?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I'm curious about this as well. Don't want to push our luck, but I figure the worst that would happen would be a phone call warning from USCC.

kansashokie

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
i use it a couple of times a week. i cant get my galaxy tab on my works wifi so if i need it when i work with a student, i use it. i may spend three to four hours a week on it.

Josh G Simon

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
If you want to tether without a plan, the best way I would suggest is to Root your phone and run a custom rom like Cyanogen 10 stable. Once you enable tethering in CM10, it is not picked up by USC. Please Note: You still have your data limits though, and if you have a 2GB plan, make real sure you watch the data usage while tethering.

demindar

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
i have foxfi & pda net, but cannot get them to work w my S4 & USCC...does USCC have a block on it? can someone help me?

Have you rooted? If not, I recommend you to do so. After rooting on the S4, USCC will still give you the tethering warning however. In order to solve this, download Titanium Backup and do a search for "Syncronoss". It should return something like Syncronoss TEDC. Scroll down to the uninstall section and uninstall Syncronoss TEDC. You will be free to tether from there on out! PS: A lot of people recommend creating a backup of Syncronoss TEDC, but I didnt as I dont see a point in it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane