After Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Update No Sound with Netflix

Ordinaryuser

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Last Friday I upgraded to 4.1.1 by going to my local US Cellular and having them perform the upgrade. After I restored my settings and Apps the only thing that does not appear to be working correctly is the Netflix app.

I am able to login to Netflix and stream the video but I get no audio. I have verified all my audio settings, cleared cache, re-installed Netflix to no avail. Is anyone else experiencing this after upgrading to 4.1.1? My audio is working correctly with other streaming services (Pandora, Winamp, NPR, etc).

On a side note, before the upgrade to 4.1.1, I was always using Developer Options > Do Not Keep Activities, but now on 4.1.1 the Netflix App tells me in order to begin streaming I have to turn off Developer options, which never was the issue prior to the upgrade. I had disabled developer options, cleared cache, rebooted phone and tried Netflix again but I still get no audio.

Edited I use the Netflix app while connected via WiFi with a 20/10Mbps connection. I have tried it on 4G LTE but still have no audio. WiFi connection and signal is fine. For the sake of testing I have tried other WiFi networks (I work for an ISP and have tried it using our WiFi and still no audio). The picture is crystal clear, the subtitles work as well, no sounds!!

Second Edit I have reported the issue with Netflix. I spoke with a representative and he claimed that there is no known issue at this time with the Netflix app causing users to experience no sound.

Last edited:

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
No not yet, even the Netflix update that came out today in the Play Store has yet to resolve it.

Some are saying that other ROMs are not having the same issue with the phone so it looks to be a Touchwiz issue, but I have yet to take a look at other carrier forums to see if they have the same issue.

I would think Verizon customers would seeing as how similar the devices and ROMs are, but not sure yet.

Ordinaryuser

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I tried today's Netflix app update as well, still no success. I'm seeing more complaints on their app page from other S3 users so hopefully the problem gets identified.

Last edited:

Rmorton0573

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I have searched everywhere and have yet to find a way to report this problem to Netflix. Only option is to blast them on the play store. I even tried the app from the Amazon app store and have the same issue.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I know a full factory reset does not take care of it.

Hopefully something comes along soon. I do not use Netflix much on my phone, but I want it to work when I do.

DaTower

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Did the Over the Air update this morning, same problem.

Called Netflix support and reported it. They upped the issue to 3rd tier support, which is going to review it and claims it should be resolved within the hour... We'll see...

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Did the Over the Air update this morning, same problem.

Called Netflix support and reported it. They upped the issue to 3rd tier support, which is going to review it and claims it should be resolved within the hour... We'll see...

Guess we will see if there is an update this afternoon for it.

Thanks and happy holidays!

DaTower

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I reached out to Netflix support tech support and they were much less helpful this time...

First I had to explain to them the concept of upgrading to Jelly Bean... and it went downhill from there...

She ended up saying I need to have the phone reflashed by USCC, "no biggie"...

Sigh...

autismomom

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem and it didn't happen until it upgraded it's self! This stinks cuz I use it all the time! I hope they fix it soon.

Kokocat

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I called US Cellular tech support yesterday to report the problem. It took a long time because of the wait, but it is important that everyone call to report this. The more we report it, the more likely they will fix it.
They also told me I could not roll back my operating system to restore the Netflix functionality.
Call US Cell Tech support at 1-888-944-9400.

ccp0415

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Experience the same problem. Contacted US Cellular who referred me to Netflix who referred me to Samsung who referred me to Netflix. See a pattern here.. No one could help me with this problem. Netflix was working fine before I upgraded.

zoskon

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I called US Cell tech support and they claim that this problem has not been reported. Well now it has... They also don't think it has any relation to them. I then called Google and they also said this problem has not been reported. The Google tech person has reported it to the engineers and will let me know when a fix is out. My guess is that it is related to Netflix and they will need to make an adjustment for the audio to work on a S3 running 4.1.1. This totally sucks since I use this app the most and it is a great way to get an extra hour of sleep in the morning when my daughter wakes me to watch something on my phone. I think I will wait about 3-6 months before I install the next Android update...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Free Tool Setups