Unroot advice

j1d10t

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi - somewhat new to the forum (at least for posting) but I have been doing a lot of reading here.

My phone has been acting up lately, and I would like to unroot it and return it to stock now in case the problems get worse and I need to take it to US Cellular or Samsung.

Let me give you some history:
When I first got my S3 I rooted it. Didn't install any ROMs, or anything - just wanted root access.
On 12/21/12, when the Jelly Bean update came out I used the Samsung Simple Upgrade tool because I couldn't wait for the OTA update - I kept getting the "we're busy, please wait your turn" message.
Because I used the Simple Upgrade Tool I lost root. No biggie, I found instructions on how to get root back using Odin, CMW Recovery, and SuperSU. Easy.

Well, now I want to unroot, and return to stock and reset the flash counter. So here is where I need help. I've seen the stickies here about how to unroot the Verizon and Sprint versions, but I can't find one for the US Cellular version, and wanted to confirm the steps. I think it should be:

Buy Triangle Away from the Play Store, run it.
Download the stock Samsung R530UVXALK5 file.
Run Odin on my PC, select the PDA option, select the stock file.
Plug the USB cable into my computer.
Boot into download mode on my phone.
Plug the USB cable into the phone.
Once Odin sees the phone click Start.
Wait for Odin to finish.
Done.

Is that correct? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated - this is a great forum with many, many helpful members and posts!

jwbryant1966

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good. I have heard from others..

After triangle away, you should boot up recovery. delete dalvik cache from advanced, and factory reset. Then upon restart....shut down phone....and proceed with the Odin steps.

I've successfully done it both ways. Just thought I'd share

j1d10t

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply!

What do you mean you've done it both ways? Is there another way?

Thank you for your help!

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
That's the exact way I do it op. And it works perfectly. Not to be nosey but what is going wrong with your phone? Have u tried a factory reset? Most times after I do a update I factory reset cause if not ur phone could act buggy. Needless to say after jellybean, my phone was acting funky for a week or two so I factory reset then re root and I'm happy happy happy now. :)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply!

What do you mean you've done it both ways? Is there another way?

Thank you for your help!

Also I think he means both ways by factory resetting and deleting the dalvik cache before the unrooting or after. Not for sure but could be. Lol

j1d10t

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
That's the exact way I do it op. And it works perfectly. Not to be nosey but what is going wrong with your phone? Have u tried a factory reset? Most times after I do a update I factory reset cause if not ur phone could act buggy. Needless to say after jellybean, my phone was acting funky for a week or two so I factory reset then re root and I'm happy happy happy now. :)

My phone keeps freezing, and then when it restarts it loads through the Samsung logo then through the US Cellular logo and then goes back to the Samsung logo and sits there for 5-10 minutes. Think a factory reset would help with that? I'm just worried that at some point its not going to fully start - if that happens I don't want to be stuck not being able to get it replaced because it is rooted... and its not like I've altered anything - heck, I haven't even frozen any apps on this phone.

Edit: also, sometimes when I plug it in to my charger svoice turns on than off then on then off and keeps doing that quickly. But its not doing it every time I plug in my phone. Only once jn a while. It started doing that about a week after the update to jb.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
All those problems started after doing the jb update? Hmm well I guess what I would do is unroot the way u posted, then factory reset, then try it out for a few days and see if ur phone is better. Then if it's fixed u can root again and restore ur device if u use titanium backup and be back the same way just without the problems. Let us know if it works. :beer:

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure when u factory reset you also delete the dalvik cache and wipe cache. Some people say doing a factory reset does all of that but I do it just to be safe. That way u can start completely new.

j1d10t

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the issues started about a week after the JB update - not right away, though, which I thought was weird. I'll try wiping the dalvik and cache then doing a factory reset and keeping my fingers crossed that it helps. Thank you soooooo much for your help!

j1d10t

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So far, so good. It has been almost a week since I reset and I haven't had the problem since. I haven't rooted again, yet, but probably will later this week if everything keeps running smoothly.

Thank you so much for all your help clintw22, and jwbryant1966!

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
No problem man. I just got help on this site last week so it's good to help someone else. But u should be fine to re root whenever u feel like it I'm pretty sure ur phone just needed factory reset after the update. Glad everything worked out.

jar3559

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and need to unroot my galaxy s3. I can pretty much follow the overall instructions, but the only issue I am running into is downloading the Samsung stock file (R530UVXLI4) for my phone. I have no clue where to find it and google hasn't been much help. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ScottJ Miller

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
New to this forum so I hope I'm asking the questions in the right place. I have a USCC SGSIII and it was at 4.1.1. I thought I lost it and kinda freaked. We did find it but that lead me to get AndroidLost and Titanium backup so I was protected in future freak moments - don't care about the phone so much as the data. Therefore, I rooted. and backed everything up and started breathing normal again. All was good, everything worked fine. Then 4.1.2 came out - and I had read about the suite that would be added. I kinda wanted that. So, I did a full Titanium backup. I UnRooted (worked great). I loaded 4.1.2. I didn't get the suite as we all know now - bummer. I re-rooted. I installed Titanium Backup and restored all apps and user data. All worked fine. However, my reception stinks. I have done the *228 tower update several times and it states it completed successfully but the reception doesn't get any better. I have always had excellent reception on USCC both before I got the SGSIII and after I got it. Reception only soured after the process above. So... ideas?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek