Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By Scott Kenyon
  • 1 Post By Scott Kenyon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [SOLVED] Odin doesn't recognize S3

To start off it feels like I have read every post on this to no avail. I have a rooted sch-r530 running stock 4.1.2 that I need to unroot. It connects fine to my computer when turned on (able to see the file structure and transfer files back and forth) but for some reason ODIN is not seeing my phone this time. I have used the same stored files that have previously worked. I have tried the following, not necessarily in this order, with no luck.

1) Made sure my phone was in download mode
    2) Tried multiple U9 Samsung cables which have previously worked including the original one
    3) Reinstalled official Samsung USB drivers
    4) Checked my computers device manager for issues
    5) Tried every available USB ports (no hub)
    6) Restarted everything multiple times
    7) Hooked up my wife's unrooted S3 (identical model)
    8) Tried ODIN versions 1.83 - 3.07
    9) Downloaded all software and drivers again
    10) Kies enabled and disabled on my phone
    11) Uninstalled Kies on my computer
    12) Uninstalled every app requiring root (ROM Manager, ROM Toolbox, Titanium Backup, Adaway, Triangle Away, Autorun Manager and Root Checker,
    13) Reset flash counter to 0

The only success I have had with ODIN was when I hooked up my old sch-i500 (Mesmerize). The COM field lit up yellow immediately with a know good cable. I am beyond stumped on this.

I have been using the links below to root and unroot my phone.

How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S3 (US Cellular) - TheUnlockr
    How to Unroot the Samsung Galaxy S3 (US Cellular) - TheUnlockr
    Last edited by apel69; 07-23-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: solved

Global Posts
    18,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Odin doesn't recognize S3

Quote Originally Posted by apel69 View Post
    To start off it feels like I have read every post on this to no avail. I have a rooted sch-r530 running stock 4.1.2 that I need to unroot. It connects fine to my computer when turned on (able to see the file structure and transfer files back and forth) but for some reason ODIN is not seeing my phone this time. I have used the same stored files that have previously worked. I have tried the following, not necessarily in this order, with no luck.

1) Made sure my phone was in download mode
    2) Tried multiple U9 Samsung cables which have previously worked including the original one
    3) Reinstalled official Samsung USB drivers
    4) Checked my computers device manager for issues
    5) Tried every available USB ports (no hub)
    6) Restarted everything multiple times
    7) Hooked up my wife's unrooted S3 (identical model)
    8) Tried ODIN versions 1.83 - 3.07
    9) Downloaded all software and drivers again
    10) Kies enabled and disabled on my phone
    11) Uninstalled Kies on my computer
    12) Uninstalled every app requiring root (ROM Manager, ROM Toolbox, Titanium Backup, Adaway, Triangle Away, Autorun Manager and Root Checker,
    13) Reset flash counter to 0

The only success I have had with ODIN was when I hooked up my old sch-i500 (Mesmerize). The COM field lit up yellow immediately with a know good cable. I am beyond stumped on this.

I have been using the links below to root and unroot my phone.

How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S3 (US Cellular) - TheUnlockr
    How to Unroot the Samsung Galaxy S3 (US Cellular) - TheUnlockr

USB debugging in Developer options checked? My PC hates that option being on. Never loads and doesn't recognize.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Scott Kenyon likes this.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    USB debugging in Developer options checked? My PC hates that option being on. Never loads and doesn't recognize.
    You beat me to it sir. This is likely your culprit.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I had hopes for a while but they didn't last long. I turned off USB Debugging, Developer Options and Unkown Sources one by one with no luck. My computer makes the normal sound when connecting the phone in all cases but Odin doesn't see it. I don't have another computer to try. I could do a factory reset but I don't know what good that would do. Still stumped.

Global Posts
    18,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I had hopes for a while but they didn't last long. I turned off USB Debugging, Developer Options and Unkown Sources one by one with no luck. My computer makes the normal sound when connecting the phone in all cases but Odin doesn't see it. I don't have another computer to try. I could do a factory reset but I don't know what good that would do. Still stumped.
    Run Odin as administrator?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yep.

Global Posts
    18,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Yep.
    I am going to be honest...I am at a loss for an explanation.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Phone Timeline

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Ive had this issue with a previous phone. Connected to computer when plugged in but odin would not recognize. Finally tried using a different cable, turned out that was the problem. Even though it charged fine and showed it connected to the pc, the cable was damaged and therefore odin would not recognize. Got a new cable and presto, worked like magic.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I am going to be honest...I am at a loss for an explanation.
    That's makes two of us. I have just run out of ideas. I'm moving to an S4 but I need to unroot this thing before trading it in. Something simple is becoming very frustrating.

I have used three different Samsung cables two of which I know I have used before successfully. If they work on my mesmerize you would think they would also work on my S3.

I guess I'll try the factory reset and see what happens. I'll update with the results. In the mean time don't hesitate with any further ideas.
    Last edited by apel69; 07-20-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Global Posts
    7,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Odin 3.07 should be the correct version. I would suggest removing everything from the computer: Odin, Kies, Drivers, adb, etc.. Start fresh then re-install everything. Get everything rebooted then ready to connect.

Run Odin
    Plug usb to phone then connect to computer - Wait for the dialogue to show in Odin that a device is connected.

I've seen other people have similar issues with Odin, so I don't think its unusual.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Try this:
    Let your phone boot to your homescreen
    Start Odin
    Plug in the phone to your computer with the known good cable
    Restart phone into download mode
    See if that works

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

OP: Any resolution? I'm hoping we get it going!
    prettyNpink73 likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Sorry I haven't posted earlier but I had to put it aside for a bit while getting the kids ready for the county fair.

What didn't work: Factory reset, messing around with PhoneUtil codes, or rebooting into download mode with the usb cable connected.

What did work (I think): re-reinstalling Kies. I had uninstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled everything once before but decided to do it again upon suggestion and it worked. There was some wierdness going on because for a while I lost the ability to connect via MTP before I uninstalled everything again and even with Kies installed a second time. Then all of a sudden it all just started working again so I am going to attribute it to the re-reeinstallation of Kies. I think it was driver related because I saw Kies using some drivers in addition to the standard Samsung mobile drivers.

Kies was a somewhat recent installation so why I have't had issues before I don't know. I would love to know all the details of what was behind the problem but after so many hours I am just happy to have my phone unrooted so I can trade it in. Thank you to everyone for pitching me ideas.

Global Posts
    18,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Sorry I haven't posted earlier but I had to put it aside for a bit while getting the kids ready for the county fair.

What didn't work: Factory reset, messing around with PhoneUtil codes, or rebooting into download mode with the usb cable connected.

What did work (I think): re-reinstalling Kies. I had uninstalled, redownloaded and reinstalled everything once before but decided to do it again upon suggestion and it worked. There was some wierdness going on because for a while I lost the ability to connect via MTP before I uninstalled everything again and even with Kies installed a second time. Then all of a sudden it all just started working again so I am going to attribute it to the re-reeinstallation of Kies. I think it was driver related because I saw Kies using some drivers in addition to the standard Samsung mobile drivers.

Kies was a somewhat recent installation so why I have't had issues before I don't know. I would love to know all the details of what was behind the problem but after so many hours I am just happy to have my phone unrooted so I can trade it in. Thank you to everyone for pitching me ideas.
    Kies may have needed to update and after one of the installs, it did.

Glad we could help. It is what we are all here for.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Phone Timeline

switch phone into downloading mode
    switch on odin
    connect phone into usb slot that you have not used before
    (if you normally used the ones on front of the PC - use one on the back)
    it worked for me