Recover Lost Contacts?

jersild83

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My wife & I recently had our Samsung Galaxy S3 phones replaced with new models, due to performance issues.

Prior to the backup, we each synced our contacts to Google, thinking everything would be saved. We also copied the entire contents of each phone to a folder on our desktop, prior to performing factory re-sets and activating our new phones.

Once we activated our new phones, we noticed only a small number of Contacts were loaded. We checked our contacts in Google, but it was the exact same small number of contacts that showed up in our phones.

1. Is there any way to recover the lost contents from within the folders we backed up from our old phones and import them to our new phone?

2. How can we prevent this from happening again? Google said it synced, but it clearly did not take any of the data from our phones. It looks like it may have only synced the data that was entered manually into our Gmail Contacts page, but not everything from the actual phone Contacts section.

Thanks for you help!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
thinking everything would be saved
Everything was saved, but Google only saves the Contacts that you designate as Google contacts. The first time you create a new contact you're given the option to save it as a Google contact or a phone contact - once you make a selection, from then on all other contacts are saved in same fashion.
prior to performing factory re-sets and activating our new phones
What was the rush to Factory Reset the old phones? Once you activated the new phones the old ones would be essentially like Wi-Fi only devices.
1. Is there any way to recover the lost contents from within the folders we backed up from our old phones and import them to our new phone?
I don't think so, but that's a question best posed to Samsung - they have online chat for their Customer Support.
2. How can we prevent this from happening again?
There's tons of tools that allow you to backup/restore various pieces of your data:
1. Samsung Kies is my first choice - you can backup your contacts, pictures/videos, SMS/MMS, call logs, TouchWiz settings, etc.
2. From within the Contacts app you can export the contacts to a csv file
3. You could use something like Excel <-> Contacts: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...xcelcontacts.excelcontactslite&token=1EXRoI2G
And there are a bazillion other apps that perform similar functions.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie