Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kitkat upgrade today - can't turn on wifi anymore!

Go the kitkat upgrade today for my s3 from USC. Now I can't turn on wifi. It's grayed out - and won't turn on. Anyone have any advice? Tried powering off, airplane mode on / off. Just doesn't turn on anymore!

Default Re: Kitkat upgrade today - can't turn on wifi anymore!

let me know if you can figure out the problem??

Have you tried booting into Recovery mode and clearing the system cache?
    What about a Factory Reset?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

I tried wiping the cache and it still is messed up , just upgraded about an hour ago and as soon as it started up the wifi couldnt turn on .. I really hope a patch is made for this really soon!

I have the same problem. Wifi is greyed out, and won't stay on or register any sources. If you hit "Advanaced" options, the "On" switch turns green in the background, but it doesn't change anything, Tried rebooting, removing battery, removing and replacing sim card, etc. Nothing has worked yet. Without wifi, my phone is useless. Hope someone figures something out.

I got the update last night and am seeing the exact same thing. The on/off switch for wi-fi is grayed out and can not be turned on.

I'll be calling US Cellular tonight when I get home!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gottschalk View Post
    I got the update last night and am seeing the exact same thing. The on/off switch for wi-fi is grayed out and can not be turned on.

I'll be calling US Cellular tonight when I get home!

Please report back here what they tell you.

I just called customer support and they suggested doing a factory reset. They said they need as many examples as possible so they can take this back to Samsung.

I'll be trying it today, hopefully it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigt2000 View Post
    I just called customer support and they suggested doing a factory reset. They said they need as many examples as possible so they can take this back to Samsung.

Thanks. Please let us know as soon as you try it.

Mine is working fine....
    Kitkat upgrade today - can't turn on wifi anymore!-screenshot_2014-05-29-12-29-55.png

Quote Originally Posted by Bigt2000 View Post

Won't that delete all your apps and data?

I got the same response. You just have to back up whatever you care about, contacts, photos etc. They'll walk you through the backup but you may need a computer and usb connection if your sync to google isn't working.

The guy I talked to said that the factory reset has fixed the problem for everyone he talked to this morning, and that the reset was the only fix they knew of so far.

Good luck everyone!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by lizardchest View Post
    Mine is working fine....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-29-12-29-55.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	120632
    Did you do a factory reset, or did it just not malfunction when you upgraded?

Quote Originally Posted by John Jamieson View Post
    I got the same response. You just have to back up whatever you care about, contacts, photos etc. They'll walk you through the backup but you may need a computer and usb connection if your sync to google isn't working.

The guy I talked to said that the factory reset has fixed the problem for everyone he talked to this morning, and that the reset was the only fix they knew of so far.

Good luck everyone!
    Have you actually tried the reset yet, and did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Faithbits View Post
    Did you do a factory reset, or did it just not malfunction when you upgraded?
    Upgraded on wifi, stayed on the whole time. No malfunction, no issues whatsoever. US Cell did replace my phone about a month ago, as it was "not performing to their standards" (they contacted me to replace phone) - was in a serial number range or something...
    Thanked by:

Alright, I did factory reset, and it did work for me. Wi-Fi is up and running again!
    Thanked by:

Same! The reset worked for me too. Seems like most of my apps and data, call and text logs are getting restored through my samsung acct as well.

Same with me. How many does it take before they fix it? Factory Reset it not a fix. It's no wonder people root their phones when the channel upgrades do this.

I had to factory reset as well. All is good now.

The factory reset worked for me, and luckily everything was backed up. Good luck to everyone else who is having this issue.

Could u tell me if the bugs from 4.3 are fixed in 4.4.2.when I was 4.1.2 my battery was great then when I updated to android 4.3 there was a bug with the battery, where it would drain alot faster Im still on 4.3 and wondering i update to android 4.4.2 will it fix my problem.there are also problems with the music where it will randomly pause my music and I can't play it unless I get out then clear it from my recent then get back on. I hope u get this.

I got the push early friday (june 27th 2014). I figured as in past never know when or why they arrive but I did not think anything negative would come of it. Since I ran the update phone has been inconsistent and gmail has had sync errors. Quite upset and cant believe of all things the gmail is now not working.

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrcom View Post
    Since I ran the update phone has been inconsistent and gmail has had sync errors.
    If you have ANY issues following an OTA update there are two things you should do before deciding that the update is flawed:
    1. Boot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
    2. If that doesn't make any difference, perform a Factory Reset (obviously this will wipe all of your data so be sure you have made a backup of anything you consider important - Kies is a great tool for this)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

My wife and I were both having wifi issues on our recently updated Galaxy Note 2's. It wasnt greyed out but would rather say we were connected but not be able to go actually use the internet. After talking to verizon they ended up sending her a new phone that works. Now today my phone started doing the same thing as hers had did. I was messing around in the router settings and accidentally turned off WPS(which should have probably been off anyways) and to my surprise it started working and is still working. Could just be a coincidence, but my accident totally worked so I thought I would share. Try to get to your router settings and turn off WPS... good luck!

EDIT: It did work for about a day and then went out again.For some reason each time I turn WPS on or off it starts working. Not ideal but its working again for now...

Try "Wifi Fixer" from Google Play or http://www.appsapk.com/wifi-fixer-app/
    I've tried flashing over and over, all available patches: same issue, until i got Wifi Fixer.
    Works now like a charm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast