Warning! KitKat (Android 4.4.2) Busts Wi-Fi on Galaxy S3!!

Faithbits

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
You're not the first one to say so! That concerns me.....have you found out how to reverse it? Just downgrade?

You can overcome the problem by doing a factory reset on your phone. This worked for me. It's also the advice that USC is giving. If you don't mind doing a factory reset, you can upgrade to Kitkat successfully.

joe mulligan

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I recently updated from the installed 4.3 when purchased...not by choice. KitKat 4.4.2 downloaded by itself and installed itself over my wifi when I left the phone on and charging. Apparently you can only postpone an update for so long or it'll upgrade itself if you don't respond to the postponement question.

Anyway, after the upgrade I actually liked the interface other than the network, strength indicator and battery life all being in white instead of green. My battery life went up, but my Wifi went from a poor 6Mbps to a dismal 3Mbps with random dropouts at a distance of 30-40 feet. Only when I walk within 10-15 feet of my router will the signal strength goto full strength. The Dunking Donuts and Starbucks hotspots are similar with the weak strength indicator of no bars with barely a connection even after a full factory reset of the phone.

Starting to think the wifi was bad to begin with and the upgrade made it worse. I'll be returning the phone this week for a full refund.