Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen wont turn off

Just today my phone started having a problem with the screen turning off. When I press the power button the screen goes black (and it makes the default liquid sound) and then the screen turns back on. I press the power button again and the process repeats. Occasionally the menu will pop-up like I want to turn my phone off (I get the power off, restart, etc. menu), even though I haven't held the power button, just pushed it like I would to turn the screen off. Doesn't happen every time, but it's happened a few times. But almost every time I try to turn the screen off it goes through the process listed above - screen goes off, comes back on, I push the button to turn it off, it comes back on.

The only things I could find online were talking about a bad/bent micro USB port and suggested taking a small screwdriver and bending it back - tried that. Didn't work. The other option was to remove any apps that were recently installed - I haven't installed any new apps in a couple of months, so I don't think that is it.

I tried powering down the phone, pulling the battery, letting it sit for a couple of minutes then putting the battery back in and restarting the phone, but that hasn't help, either.

Please help! This is driving me crazy.

Default Re: Screen wont turn off

Sounds like your Power button (the plastic piece that we press on) or the actual Power switch (on the mainboard) is getting stuck.

If you take the phone apart you can clean around both parts (using a toothbrush and/or can of compressed air) to make sure it's not gunked up. You could even use electronic contact cleaner (be sure to take the battery out) to clean/exercise the switch.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Screen wont turn off

Thanks GSDer!

I'll probably start with the toothbrush and compressed air, and go from there.