Why won't my phone ring during incoming calls?

Faithbits

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Can't get phone to ring. It just vibrates. I've tried everything I can think of:

• Volume is turned up for all settings (ringtone, music/videos/game, notifications, and system).
  • I selected a ringtone, not silent.
  • Blocking is not on during the time of day the phone won't ring. (Also tried turning it completely off, to no avail)
  • Accessibility does not have "turn off all sounds" checked
  • All other sounds work fine, including ringtones when you are selecting them, just not when you have an incoming call
  • Tried multiple different ringtones

Can't seem to find anything more to check or change. Completely frustrated.
Anything else that might work?

Faithbits

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Are you rooted? Do you have any app installed that has access to the Dialer?

Try booting into Recovery Mode and clearing the system cache partition: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Thanks for your effort B. Diddy. The phone is not rooted. Cleared cache partition, but problem persists. The only apps I'm aware of that have access to the dialer, are Groove IP, and Ring.to. Checked every setting in those apps as well, and can't find anything that changes the result.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode, which disables all 3rd party apps. If the problem goes away, then something you installed is causing issues--try uninstalling GrooveIP and/or Ring.to. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then there's probably something wrong with the firmware. Safe Mode instructions at the bottom of this article: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S III | T-Mobile Support

Faithbits

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode, which disables all 3rd party apps. If the problem goes away, then something you installed is causing issues--try uninstalling GrooveIP and/or Ring.to. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then there's probably something wrong with the firmware. Safe Mode instructions at the bottom of this article: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S3 | T-Mobile Support

Thanks for this information. This sounds like exactly what I need. The only problem is that I use VOIP for the phone, and don't even have a phone contract. 3rd party apps are the only way I can receive incoming calls. If I uninstall them, then I can't receive in coming calls at all.

Wildon Terrell

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem. I turned the phone off, removed the battery, waited about 15 seconds, reinstalled the battery. When I turned the phone back on the problem was fixed.

Last edited:

Steelo27

May 21, 2016
Visit site
Can't get phone to ring. It just vibrates. I've tried everything I can think of:

• Volume is turned up for all settings (ringtone, music/videos/game, notifications, and system).

• I selected a ringtone, not silent.

• Blocking is not on during the time of day the phone won't ring. (Also tried turning it completely off, to no avail)

• Accessibility does not have "turn off all sounds" checked

• All other sounds work fine, including ringtones when you are selecting them, just not when you have an incoming call

• Tried multiple different ringtones

Can't seem to find anything more to check or change. Completely frustrated.
Anything else that might work?

I'm having the exact same issue with this POS V10... Absolutely cannot get any ringtone whether it be downloaded or the stock ringtones to play a sound. All settings have been check triple checked and checked again. Nothing and I mean nothing makes this phone ring. So completely randomly every now and then but very seldom a call will come through and it will actually play my ringtone. But this is completely random and there is no Rhyme or Reason to it is there a fix for this or do I need to toss this phone in the garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mahdi Z K

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Try to uninstall any third-party applications that change ringtones
And
Set the incoming ringtone to the original default one.
if this not work try to disable "call blocker" in your antivirus.

ksschlosser

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem! :'( and also my alarm will not sound either now. I have an LG. Going into the safe mode worked for my alarm. :D Thank you!

Last edited:

joinrubel

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I was suffering this problem from last month. At first only LOUD profile was active, Now every profile has the same problem. No ring tone no vibration - only screening the incoming call.
Solution: after huge research in 'sound and notification' , interruptions i got nothing. The finding is : my 'Phone ringtone' for both SIM was set to one MP3 file which is not present in my device. I think this happens due to malware. I changed them to another sound and it is now functioning. Go: Setting> Sound & Notification> here is some profiles and at the right side one wheel sign, click on it> 3rd line is 'Phone ringtone' enter there and select SIM 1 set ringtone, again select SIM2 and set ring tone.
.................................................................................Solved. All profile is activated.

varider

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I was suffering this problem from last month. At first only LOUD profile was active, Now every profile has the same problem. No ring tone no vibration - only screening the incoming call.
Solution: after huge research in 'sound and notification' , interruptions i got nothing. The finding is : my 'Phone ringtone' for both SIM was set to one MP3 file which is not present in my device. I think this happens due to malware. I changed them to another sound and it is now functioning. Go: Setting> Sound & Notification> here is some profiles and at the right side one wheel sign, click on it> 3rd line is 'Phone ringtone' enter there and select SIM 1 set ringtone, again select SIM2 and set ring tone.
.................................................................................Solved. All profile is activated.

Thank you!! This worked for me too!! :)

saxman25o

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
we recently bought two Samsung galaxy S5 neo`s neither would ring when receiving incoming
stumbled across the fact that DO NOT DISTURB was somehow enabled :)
switched that off presto ! sound worx !
Now the wife can call me anytime ooops :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888