Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Outdated...

I have a simple question that is hard to get a specific answer since it seems 98% of the world has moved on from the S3.

However, if I wanted to manually root my US Cellular S3 running 4.4.2 (by manually i mean not using a toolkit, cuz obv they're all outdated for my current OS), does the fact I'm running 4.4.2 matter? More specifically, is rooting process the same on an S3 running Gingerbread as my current KitKat?

Thanks.

Default Re: Outdated...

To answer your second question first, you generally can't use a tool that was written to root Gingerbread on a device running KitKat. I'm no expert, but the rooting methods change as the OS changes so what worked even on Jelly Bean may not work on KitKat.

Take a look at http://towelroot.com (it seems to be current and well liked) on your phone:
    - select the lambda symbol
    - download the apk
    - install the apk
    - follow the instructions

Oh, and please don't double post - it just leads to unnecessary confusion (and violates the forum guidelines to boot).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

My bad on the double post action. May I ask, have you used this method? What will downloading the .apk on my phone do? Should I backup before doing any of this? Thanks for the reply....

My phone is already rooted, but I followed all of the steps up to pressing the button to perform the actual root.

Downloading the .apk doesn't do anything in-and-of itself; it's just like downloading any other file.
    Installing it is just like installing any other app - it doesn't do anything there either.
    Only by running the app and starting the root process do you actually accomplish anything.

You don't need to make a backup or anything, but that's always a good process to follow regardless.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So I went ahead and tried towelroot. Was pretty stoked and thought it'd be the answer...but no. When I tapped the "make it rain" button it says "this device not supported".

Any other clue on how I can root this darn thing?

Did you read through the forum that's linked off the website?
    Is the kernel on your phone dated June 3rd or later?

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes and yes. Seems odd. Everyone else seems to have a good outcome with towelroot.

I contacted max lee with galaxys3root.com and he says his method will work. Im only hesitant cuz his article/method is dated July of 2012.

I will take his word for it and try i guess, but it just seems odd that everyone says you need proper root method for your current OS.

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Outdated...-screenshot_2014-08-04-05-38-40-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleigh View Post
    Yes AND YES. Seems odd. Everyone else seems to have a good outcome with towelroot.
    Are you SURE you read through that forum? When I read through it last week the OP stated that Towelroot wouldn't work if the kernel was dated after June 3rd (which yours is).

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Ah. Well apparently i read poorly. You are correct. I have too recent of a kernel.

Fairly amazing the battle i am going through to root this. Apparently i decided to root a few weeks too late. Every process seems to apply to older OS or older kernel.

Thanks for the replies.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

GSDer, thank you for fighting the urge to call me stupid and stop replying. I figured I should update this with my status in case anyone else has an issue rooting a US Cellular S3 on 4.4.2 (perhaps I am the only one though)

Anyways, I tried/attempted several methods and had no luck. The MSkip method is too old for my OS, but since the process at galaxys3root.com is not OS specific, I thought it was the way to go. Everything seemed to go flawless. I made it through all the parts of the process where people were hung up, so when my phone rebooted and didn't get stuck in a loop I was stoked. Buuuuuuut, quick check with Root Checker and nothing. Said device not rooted. So I tried again, same thing...flawless process and reboot aaaaand nothing. Then I plugged my device in and erased all existing superuser files (cuz they would install but something wasn't working), and did it again. Again perfect root process followed by a reboot that left my phone not rooted.

After talking with @zedomax he was also stumped. Then I notice the SuperSU file was in my "forced stopped" list. I restarted it, and nothing. But then I rebooted the phone and sure enough. SuperSU was in my app tray! DL'd Root Checker and yep, device was finally rooted.

Sorry for being so lost on this process.

Off topic'ish. Does it matter what version OS you are running when you flash a custom ROM? I am thinking no primarily because before you flash you are factory wiping/erasing everything. Am I right with that thought?

Does it matter what version OS you are running when you flash a custom ROM?
    It does matter if your phone already has 4.3 or later firmware: that firmware came with an updated bootloader component, part of Samsung's Knox Enterprise security features, that prevents loading certain firmware (custom recovery, etc).
    If the phone has firmware earlier than 4.3 - flash away!

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

This applies even if SuperSU (i think it was SuperSU) successfully disabled Knox?

Do you know for sure that US Cellular applies? I thought i read somewhere that only ATT and VZW locked their bootloaders. I could be wrong since I've know been reading so much about this process and could be thinking of something else.

This applies even if SuperSU (i think it was SuperSU) successfully disabled Knox?
    SuperSU may disable the Knox application components but it wouldn't affect the bootloader.
    Do you know for sure that US Cellular applies? I thought i read somewhere that only ATT and VZW locked their bootloaders.
    I don't know for sure; I only have a Verizon phone. And I can't keep track (information is too scarce) of which carriers include the bootloader component. But Knox is pretty worthless if the bootloader isn't locked.