Why is the Merge keyboard so much better??? Where are the reviews?

klunsford

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely one of the many on this forum who are excited about the release of the Merge. Software aside, everyone seems to comment on the improved keyboard, but do not go into specifics about what makes the keyboard so much better than the alternatives. How does it compare to it's desire-ish cousin the G2?

I've scoured the net, but I haven't found any reviews other than AndroidCentral's hands-on, which doesn't go into detail about the keyboard. Phil, why are you so 'over the moon' with the keyboard?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Keys had excellent spacing and the right amount of click. And unlike the Epic 4G, there aren't too many keys. HTC knows how to make keyboards. Period.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm still undecided whether to get this or the Droid 2 WE.

I was leaning towards this phone due to the high praise in the review and a "better keyboard" is probably worth its weight in gold.

But it hasn't been referenced in any of the VZW material that has been leaked, and now the D2 WE looks like it's going to have a 1.2Ghz CPU (and probably be available next week).

If I was sure this was going to be in stores by Thanksgiving, I'd wait and check them both out first-hand, but since this phone is completely off VZW radar from what I can tell, I don't know!!!

-AJ

sc32valve

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you used the Touch Pro 2 or Tilt2, you would understand... like was said, HTC knows how to make keyboards. The spacing and feel is perfect... I just wish they kept the screen tilt action of the TP2 or the upcoming Win 7 Pro.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would wait, from what I have read elsewhere the Merge will likely be a quiet launch since, it does compete directly with Moto and they are likely paying big money for their launch. Worse case, get the D2 WE and when the Merge comes out you can always swap it (within) 30 days.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I would wait, from what I have read elsewhere the Merge will likely be a quiet launch since, it does compete directly with Moto and they are likely paying big money for their launch. Worse case, get the D2 WE and when the Merge comes out you can always swap it (within) 30 days.

Yeah, that's probably the right call (no pun intended). If the launch date isn't tipped before Thanksgiving -- or the launch date is tipped and it's 2011 -- I'll go get the D2WE.

...still...1.2Ghz vs 800Mhz...hard to ignore too...ugh.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget this is more to a device than the clock speed of the processor, memory and type of processor, plus graphics rendering. The Merge is shown to have some very impressive numbers.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
@Raptor
So your signature-line indicates you're waiting for an upcoming VZW Droid. Is this your target phone, or what are you considering?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at both the HTC Merge and the Dinc HD (or whatever name verizon has for it). I know the user Verizon considers anything with Bing not part of the "droid" family but honestly I could what stock search or map app is installed so long as I can root, remove and install Google Search and Maps. I mean anything running Android is a Droid, to me at least.

I like the Merge for the keyboard and smaller size to fit in the pocket. I had the DX and honestly with a side case on your belt its a pita to carry around. But the upcoming HTC Dinc HD at 4.3 & other hot specs could make it worth it. I just need to get a phone going soon since I am using an old crappy flip phone.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The Merge feels amazing in your hand, and you can't praise the keyboard enough.

If you're deciding between the D2W and Merge, I'd hold out for the merge.

ericon2

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
We are excited about the keyboard because it is almost identical to the keyboard on the HTC Touch Pro 2 that I currently have. The best keyboard ever on a Window mobile device many people say. Read the reviews on it or go to youtube and you will see what we mean. I have been waiting for another unit that had this keyboard. It will be like having a TP2 with Android. I was imagining that about 4 months ago and here it is. The reason I still have the TP2 is because of the keyboard. It is simply the best.

Reactions: sc32valve

sc32valve

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
We are excited about the keyboard because it is almost identical to the keyboard on the HTC Touch Pro 2 that I currently have. The best keyboard ever on a Window mobile device many people say. Read the reviews on it or go to youtube and you will see what we mean. I have been waiting for another unit that had this keyboard. It will be like having a TP2 with Android. I was imagining that about 4 months ago and here it is. The reason I still have the TP2 is because of the keyboard. It is simply the best.

My sentiments exactly. I've wished 4 months ago for an droid phone with the TP2 keyboard and its Global capability. Needless to say, I'm more than psyched and will most likely buy 2 at launch.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane