HTC Merge delayed -- to get LTE?

LikenMerge

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I was checking out the Twitter page of the guy who said that. I think its right. In several post he mentions
- Merge was supposed to be released November 23rd
- Phone was ready to go. Passed all test. But verizon pulled back to add LTE
- Verizon will be releasing 4 big phones 1 each month starting in January

This stinks! Was really looking forward to this phone and joining Droid family. Have a BB right now..Hopefully it comes out by or in January!

sc32valve

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I cannot believe this guy has gotten this much attention.

If the phone was supposed to be release on Nov. 23rd, they would have to have some stock or at least 10,000+ units in transit already. The tooling for manufacture alone had to be done months ago as well as the components. Not to mention the near final demo units? I think there is too much investment there. There might be a LTE redesign/upgrade, like in the case of Droid to Droid 2 Global, but we should still be seeing some units.

LikenMerge

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I cannot believe this guy has gotten this much attention.

If the phone was supposed to be release on Nov. 23rd, they would have to have some stock or at least 10,000+ units in transit already. The tooling for manufacture alone had to be done months ago as well as the components. Not to mention the near final demo units? I think there is too much investment there. There might be a LTE redesign/upgrade, like in the case of Droid to Droid 2 Global, but we should still be seeing some units.

Yet, we havent heard much of this phone besides the hands on. If it was going to be released soon, wouldnt we have some specs by now or something? I wish there was a way to get some clarification on this to know if this guy is right or not.

dbasham

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh the wait...

Man I really want to see if the Merge comes out this month but I have been itching to dump my Blackberry Storm since August. I also bought a D2 back then but a store tech told me about the Pro/Global so I held off. If is now November and I can't wait much longer. If this rumour turns out to be true (someone in the KNOW must be able to confirm it) I will be going for the D2G in the next week or so. I simply cannot stand my Storm any longer and I really want an Android.

So why do some people hate the Motorola phones so much? I know that Motoblur could be better but this phone seems to have some serious horsepower and great features. Other than the keyboard why shouldn't I get the D2G?
--Denny

JM4G1C

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
As we all know, information thrown around on the 'net is sometimes true, sometimes false, and sometimes just put out their to throw you off...

Having said that, I'm just as excited about the Merge being released as anyone on this board... having it released closer to my birthday(this weekend) than Christmas would make me happy... but so would LTE capability right out of the box, instead of a 'refresh' of the device 6 months down the road making me regret the original purchase in some aspects.

Signed,

A BB Tour early adopter who felt burned by the Bold 9650 being released 11 months later... tee hee :)

that-ginzo

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Honestly to me it seems like this is just an act. The phone is called the MERGE after-all.

My thought is this: someone said this info so people think its delayed then BAM its released the next day, as if it emerged from the unknown. :eek:

... or maybe its just my imagination running wild again and we do have to sadly wait for a Sense UI qwerty on VZW. :(

NEWER BETTER HYPOTHESIS!
Maybe the dude is getting the Incredible HD mixed up with the Merge/Lexikon because i know a few tech blogs are getting them confused.

that-ginzo
------------
HTC Touch -> HTC Touch Pro -> Palm Pixi+ -> HTC Merge/D2G depending on release date.

Last edited:

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
We know the Merge will have Bing and is not being labeled as a Droid phone. How could Verizon put LTE in this phone and not call it "Droid"? They consider Droid to be their high end android phone line. Anything less is considered mid-range and gets Bing. That's my reasoning that this is a false rumor. I may be wrong but how could this get LTE before any of the "Droid" offerings?

I find fault in your reasoning. The Merge is not a midrange phone. Sure, it has an 800mhz processor, but it's the same one as the G2 which is getting excellent reviews where speed is concerned. Also, if Bing was only for midrange phones, how do you explain the Fascinate?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Honestly to me it seems like this is just an act. The phone is called the MERGE after-all.

My thought is this: someone said this info so people think its delayed then BAM its released the next day, as if it emerged from the unknown. :eek:

Lol. Actually, that's pretty good.

And I'm getting word from other sources that the Merge in fact isn't delayed and is still on track. I'm about 80 percent sure this one is bunk.

As for when we see the Merge? Hopefully any day now. :)

LikenMerge

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Actually, that's pretty good.

And I'm getting word from other sources that the Merge in fact isn't delayed and is still on track. I'm about 80 percent sure this one is bunk.

As for when we see the Merge? Hopefully any day now. :)

I hope your right.. I am up for an upgrade and have been waiting for the Merge for a while now!

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe we'll get lucky and it will also remove Bing. It has no place on an Android phone.

I just wish people would stop buying them and let Verizon know - it would send them a clear message that this garbage is not what we want.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Anywhere from 30% to 120% the way things are going.

Just a guess, but I bet Verizon is going to release one LTE phone from each manufacturer in the first round of devices, with the Dinc HD being the HTC phone.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I just wish people would stop buying them and let Verizon know - it would send them a clear message that this garbage is not what we want.

The problem is 90% of people either don't know the difference, or just don't care. The phones are going to sell either way, no matter how much we try to stop it.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Phil-is there any possibility that the unit you got your hands on had LTE, and just didn't have a finalized ROM to show it?