HTC Merge delayed -- to get LTE?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
htc-merge-delay.PNG

Admittedly, I don't know @V3RDICT. And the HTC Merge hardware I saw looked pretty final, but I wouldn't blame anyone if they pushed it back for LTE. But wouldn't new radio testing/FCC approval *really* push things back?

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
*vader* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ah well shucks. Looks like coal in my stocking this year.

Those in "the know" testing for a new radio implementation like this could push it back how long?

Why not just release the Merge and then give us the Merge Pro w/ LTE later on? LTE would be great for the future, but TBH I don't really care about that atm. I mainly use Wifi already.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Would be disappointed if true. I was holding out for this phone. If this turns out be correct, what are we looking at? March, April 2011? I've seen discussion that Verizon will do what Sprint did and release the LTE cards first and then the phones. So that really pushes things back (in addition to the new FCC approval). This could really suck!

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Considering I saw a VZW rep using this device "in the wild" when VZW had a "quarterly review" with the customer that I support.

He had it on the table the entire meeting...

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
HTC is definately testing LTE devices. Meaning they already have test models running on VZW's Network. I am sure other manufacturers do as well. So putting in the radio may not be a big delay at all.

jim1969

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
We know this isn't a "Droid" phone. Wouldn't giving it LTE capablities put it in that category? I've been waiting on this phone to replace my BB 8330. If it's a wait, I'm going D2G.

bigdav1178

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd be more than a bit disappointed if this was true. I've been waiting to upgrade to this phone since September, but I won't wait until sometime next year for it. The speed of LTE would be great; but I don't live in a major metro area, and I won't pay for a LTE plan (which I expect will be more expensive or data capped) if I'm not getting LTE service.

This goes against what a Verizon store rep told me earlier in the month, and everything I've been reading; so hopefully this guy's just starting a rumor. I've been told it would launch before the end of the month (I'd love to see it released tomorrow); but if this turns out to be true, I'm with a bunch of the other people who've posted... it's the D2 / D2G for me.

On the positive side of things, I ought to be able to pick up a D2 pretty cheap right about now...

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
We know this isn't a "Droid" phone. Wouldn't giving it LTE capablities put it in that category? I've been waiting on this phone to replace my BB 8330. If it's a wait, I'm going D2G.

Where did you get this idea? I don't see how the 2 are related. The only thing, AFAIK, that differentiates Droid from the rest is no Bing, at this point.

jim1969

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Where did you get this idea? I don't see how the 2 are related. The only thing, AFAIK, that differentiates Droid from the rest is no Bing, at this point.

We know the Merge will have Bing and is not being labeled as a Droid phone. How could Verizon put LTE in this phone and not call it "Droid"? They consider Droid to be their high end android phone line. Anything less is considered mid-range and gets Bing. That's my reasoning that this is a false rumor. I may be wrong but how could this get LTE before any of the "Droid" offerings?

Droid hungry

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
i think that if they do push this back to get LTE and it takes a while wouldnt the phone be a little bit outdated when it does finally drop?

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Any chance Motorola "asked" VZW to hold off on the Merge as it might hurt sales of their Pro and D2G so VZW is giving HTC first crack at LTE? Seems like Motorola kind of has favored nation status. I mean just reading this thread would make Motorola very happy - delay in Merge = D2G sales? [/conspiracy]

map724

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Didn't someone on this site or another Android blog report that VZW stores and Amazon both have Merge accessories in stock right now? I'm putting money on this delay stuff being total b.s. Maybe it's Moto putting it out so people run out and buy the D2G or DPro before the Merge hits.

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I really hope not.. i have been waiting for a new phone and i really like the HTC merge, and ill still wait, Motorola is a piece of junk in my opinion. Ill wait to enter the the android market.. if so... I can only hope that this is a rumor.. personally think it is, just to stir up things