HTC Merge delayed -- to get LTE?
Admittedly, I don't know @V3RDICT. And the HTC Merge hardware I saw looked pretty final, but I wouldn't blame anyone if they pushed it back for LTE. But wouldn't new radio testing/FCC approval *really* push things back?
- 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM #2
- 11-10-2010, 11:16 AM #3
- 11-10-2010, 01:11 PM #5
- 11-10-2010, 01:18 PM #6
- 381 Posts
- CM 10.1
Ah well shucks. Looks like coal in my stocking this year.
Those in "the know" testing for a new radio implementation like this could push it back how long?
Why not just release the Merge and then give us the Merge Pro w/ LTE later on? LTE would be great for the future, but TBH I don't really care about that atm. I mainly use Wifi already.
- 11-10-2010, 01:19 PM #7
- 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM #8
- 1,190 Posts
- CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0
Would be disappointed if true. I was holding out for this phone. If this turns out be correct, what are we looking at? March, April 2011? I've seen discussion that Verizon will do what Sprint did and release the LTE cards first and then the phones. So that really pushes things back (in addition to the new FCC approval). This could really suck!
- 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM #9
- 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM #10
- 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM #11
- 11-10-2010, 02:13 PM #12
- 39 Posts
I'd be more than a bit disappointed if this was true. I've been waiting to upgrade to this phone since September, but I won't wait until sometime next year for it. The speed of LTE would be great; but I don't live in a major metro area, and I won't pay for a LTE plan (which I expect will be more expensive or data capped) if I'm not getting LTE service.
This goes against what a Verizon store rep told me earlier in the month, and everything I've been reading; so hopefully this guy's just starting a rumor. I've been told it would launch before the end of the month (I'd love to see it released tomorrow); but if this turns out to be true, I'm with a bunch of the other people who've posted... it's the D2 / D2G for me.
On the positive side of things, I ought to be able to pick up a D2 pretty cheap right about now...
- 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM #13
- 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM #14
- 11-10-2010, 02:31 PM #15
- 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM #16
- 381 Posts
- CM 10.1
Any chance Motorola "asked" VZW to hold off on the Merge as it might hurt sales of their Pro and D2G so VZW is giving HTC first crack at LTE? Seems like Motorola kind of has favored nation status. I mean just reading this thread would make Motorola very happy - delay in Merge = D2G sales? [/conspiracy]
- 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM #17
- 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM #18
- 11-10-2010, 02:57 PM #19
- 29 Posts
Didn't someone on this site or another Android blog report that VZW stores and Amazon both have Merge accessories in stock right now? I'm putting money on this delay stuff being total b.s. Maybe it's Moto putting it out so people run out and buy the D2G or DPro before the Merge hits.
- 11-10-2010, 03:12 PM #20
- 13 Posts
I really hope not.. i have been waiting for a new phone and i really like the HTC merge, and ill still wait, Motorola is a piece of junk in my opinion. Ill wait to enter the the android market.. if so... I can only hope that this is a rumor.. personally think it is, just to stir up things
- 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM #21
- 15 Posts
I was checking out the Twitter page of the guy who said that. I think its right. In several post he mentions
- Merge was supposed to be released November 23rd
- Phone was ready to go. Passed all test. But verizon pulled back to add LTE
- Verizon will be releasing 4 big phones 1 each month starting in January
This stinks! Was really looking forward to this phone and joining Droid family. Have a BB right now..Hopefully it comes out by or in January!
- 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM #22
- 74 Posts
I cannot believe this guy has gotten this much attention.
If the phone was supposed to be release on Nov. 23rd, they would have to have some stock or at least 10,000+ units in transit already. The tooling for manufacture alone had to be done months ago as well as the components. Not to mention the near final demo units? I think there is too much investment there. There might be a LTE redesign/upgrade, like in the case of Droid to Droid 2 Global, but we should still be seeing some units.
- 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM #23
- 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM #24
- 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM #25
Oh the wait...
Man I really want to see if the Merge comes out this month but I have been itching to dump my Blackberry Storm since August. I also bought a D2 back then but a store tech told me about the Pro/Global so I held off. If is now November and I can't wait much longer. If this rumour turns out to be true (someone in the KNOW must be able to confirm it) I will be going for the D2G in the next week or so. I simply cannot stand my Storm any longer and I really want an Android.
So why do some people hate the Motorola phones so much? I know that Motoblur could be better but this phone seems to have some serious horsepower and great features. Other than the keyboard why shouldn't I get the D2G?