New Merge Info(?) - And I was just about to give up...

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Welp just passed the 30 days mark on my switch to Sprint for the EVO Shift, which is their version of the Merge. Good job Verizon I guess.

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Welp just passed the 30 days mark on my switch to Sprint for the EVO Shift, which is their version of the Merge. Good job Verizon I guess.

Well, on the bright side, you do have 4G on the Shift. The jury's still out on the Merge's radio setup.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Finally "resigned" myself to the Thunderbolt (been out of contract for 10 months, and really want a physical keyboard) and Android Central has two stories that resurrects the possibility of a Verizon Merge.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-merge-screen-protectors-appear-verizon-store

http://www.androidcentral.com/mythical-htc-merge-appears-or-still-verizons-inventory-system

So... a thread for discussion of any new news that surfaces in the near future...

I think we're almost in the same boat. I've been out of contract since last August. I'm coming from a BlackBerry and really prefer a physical keyboard. The Merge looked great ... back in November. I had pretty much resigned myself to getting the TBolt too (on a 1-yr). And now, we have recent news on the Merge. The problem is, I hope they've updated the hardware. The original hardware we saw back in November is getting dated really quick.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

If Sprint were a viable option for me, I'd probably be pretty happy with the Shift. I don't think you made a bad choice!

I think we're almost in the same boat. I've been out of contract since last August. I'm coming from a BlackBerry and really prefer a physical keyboard. The Merge looked great ... back in November. I had pretty much resigned myself to getting the TBolt too (on a 1-yr). And now, we have recent news on the Merge. The problem is, I hope they've updated the hardware. The original hardware we saw back in November is getting dated really quick.

Yup, I'm on a BB myself as well. I guess I'll need to see final specs on the Merge before making a decision. My wife will get one without doubt (latest and greatest not important to her) but I'll be torn between new and shiny vs. a form factor that I know I will love.

Here's the latest article that Engadget just posted:

Droid Bionic and HTC Merge hit Best Buy website, accessories galore -- Engadget

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a BB Tour, I prefer a Keyboard...Have been looking at a Thunderbolt. But living about a 2 miles from Canada I have no idea when I'm gonna get 4G in the main area were I'm at since its the same freq as a TV Station in Canada.

So the Merge might be very intriguing depending on specs on a 1 year contract.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that the Merge feels amazing on hand and it's an extremely solid phone. the keyboard is really really amazing as well. It felt better than my HTC Fuze and better than the LG Quantum when I tried at the store.
If you want a phone with a keyboard and you're on verizon, the Merge is the way to go.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
If you want a phone with a keyboard and you're on verizon, the Merge is the way to go.
Well that would be great if the phone actually came out. Since it seems like it's not making any progress, I've been looking at other options - a little on network but mostly off network. Unless there's a hardware upgrade, I think it loses to the X2 or Droid 3 coming releases.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
probably.
I'm actually looking to get the Desire Z... that or G2, but I want to find a phone that I can use on AT&T's 3G as well as Thailand's 3G.. which is a pain in the ass.

sc32valve

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I still don't understand why you bought a CDMA global phone to use on GSM when there are perfectly viable alternatives like the G2.

Then continue to follow the Merge forum which you sold?

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
well, I am an odd person .
I bought a CDMA Phone that is the merge because it was also supposed to be a world phone which means I'll be able to use the GSM portion without having to deal with the CDMA, or atleast I thought so.
I followed it because I'm still curious as to how it will fare. I've followed it so long that I feel like I want to see where it will finally pan out. I like the G2, but I hate the hinge and the optical trackpad. The merge pretty much clicked with me the moment I saw it. That's about it.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see the Merge surfacing again. I was going to get the Thunderbolt, but I got tired of waiting and got it's brother the HTC EVO Shift.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I honestly can't decide between the Thunderbolt and the Merge (let's just pretend it's for sure coming to VZW...).

I adore the size of the TB, but two of my "perfect phone" attributes have always been global capability and a physical keyboard.

But I have the Droid X right now (entirely because it was the first VZW phone to measure 4.3"--so yes, size matters, to me, at least), and I just can't imagine going down to 3.7".

Ideally, I'd be able to hold both in my hands and just *know* which is the best, but if the Merge keeps floating out there as a "possibility," I feel like I'll never be able to setting on the TB instead!

Grrr.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Why not get the Bolt now (well whenever it happens to be ready and at this rate, we might just see the Merge) and sell it if the Merge ever releases? Surely either the Bolt will grow on you and you won't care about the Merge or you'll be able to find someone to take the Bolt and you can get the Merge.

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I honestly can't decide between the Thunderbolt and the Merge (let's just pretend it's for sure coming to VZW...).

I adore the size of the TB, but two of my "perfect phone" attributes have always been global capability and a physical keyboard.

But I have the Droid X right now (entirely because it was the first VZW phone to measure 4.3"--so yes, size matters, to me, at least), and I just can't imagine going down to 3.7".

Ideally, I'd be able to hold both in my hands and just *know* which is the best, but if the Merge keeps floating out there as a "possibility," I feel like I'll never be able to setting on the TB instead!

Grrr.

Go hold an EVO Shift, it's seriously just about the exact same device.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Oldpueblo is almost 99% right. The feel of the shift is pretty close to the Merge. The only thing is the physical looks of it and the lack of a spring load on the sliding mechanism. When I got my hands on the merge, the keyboard was spring loaded so it slides up in a snap and locks in place.
The evo shift I tried at the sprint store has no spring load, it just slides up and down and stays where you leave it .
still a damn good phone, so if you're looking for a Merge replacement, then go Evo Shift if you're using CDMA.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Could be worse in upgrade dilemma. I'm just trying to snag a droid 2 off someone on ebay. I don't want to use my upgrade credit and lock into it if the merge ever sees the light of day. And I don't want to pay a ton of money for it. I'm not sure if going D2 now will be a big loss in money or not if the Merge releases in a couple months. I'd be peeved though.

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Go hold an EVO Shift, it's seriously just about the exact same device.

This is a good idea. I tend to forget that looking at other carrier's phones can be helpful.

Just saw an update somewhere today that the TBolt is delayed until March... who knows if that's true, but if it is, I suppose I have some additional time to make a decision. :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers