Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Cool Thoughts after 18 days with the HTC Merge

So I have had my Merge for a few weeks now and wanted to share my thoughts and ask for yours. Let's start with the keyboard. It is wide and took some practice after using a blackberry for so long. Now I am happy to say I am close to being as fast as I was on the berry and I think I will be faster with a few more weeks of use. I tried swype and the stock keyboard wondering if I might like to trade in for a milestone x. I could do it if I had to but I just love this physical keyboard and could not do it. I am new to android so I got to tell you that this is the best phone that I have had. Windows and blackberry just don't compare. Haven't tried the iphone but I have never been a fan of apple. The camera takes great pics and vids and the screen shows them well.

I have a few things that I don't like as well. This thing is heavy. Not bad as far as weight while I hold it in my hand but I used to keep my blackberry in my shirt pocket at work and as far as size it fits fine but it is not comfortable. No big deal I just keep it my pants pocket or in my Golla case that I bought. The only problem with that is it doesn't fit very well with a cover on the phone in the Golla case. I have found that the phone is easier to hold with the keyboard out but comfortable either way. Also the merge doesn't get as good of reception as my blackberry did. But it may be an alltel thing because some of my friends are having problems with droped calls and calls going straight to voicemail. I know 4g is the big thing now but my blackberry never had 3g showing at the top and I get it with the Merge and it is much faster!!!

Now what I would like to know is some what of a roll call. Who else has the Merge, what are your favorite things about it and and any tips and tricks for it. Also what do you use your AP1 shortcut key for?
    Last edited by jtowndawg; 04-21-2011 at 02:38 PM.
    GO DAWGS!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,017 Global Posts

Jealous!! I fancy the Merge but don't live in right zip code for it. Glad you're enjoying it for the most part.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

I realy wish it would release on more carriers so more people would be able to give good tips on it. I haven't been able to find any info on rooting it or custom roms yet so I think as more people get it maybe those things will come. It is a great phone despite the few things I found not to my liking (Alltel is more than likely to blame than the phone).
    GO DAWGS!

I wonder if the EVO Shift ROMs/tweaks would be compatible, you should poke around those forum sections since the device is just about the same hardware.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock

I will have to give that a try. So far I haven't seen anyone get perm root on the merge.
    GO DAWGS!

Awesome, glad you're having a mostly good experience. I'm still holding out hope but it's fading fast...

JTowndawg,
    Hi, Does the Merge have FM radio?
    Thanks
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock

Yes it has fm radio. You have to plug in the ear phones and they are used as the antenna.
    GO DAWGS!

Sweet! Thanks

I've had my Alltel Merge for about 3 weeks now and really do like it. No real complaints other than the wi-fi sharing not being activated. That's something Alltel has to do in the future, something about an update after they move over to a new billing system. The phone does everything to my satisfaction. However, reception sensitivity is not as good as my old LG. That will be recitified with the Wilson repeater that should arrive today. I'm mystified as to why this phone is not getting more attention, other than Verizon grabbing all the media attention with the Thunderbolt.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Stock

I think it would get more attention if it would have been released on a major carrier like verizon and at alltel they got the milestone x 2 weeks after this came out and all of the store sales people pushing it. I wish every one would give the merge its due at alltel. I have had friends go get the X then complain about typing on the screen. So many people from verizon are holding out hope wanting the merge and they have higher end phones they could buy but have had enough and want a physical keyboard.

Rick-in-Nc I'm glad you like your Merge and maybe the hot spot will get fixed. The people I talked to at the store didn't know what I was talking about.
    GO DAWGS!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Stock

Oh yeah I almost forgot one of the things I started this trend for. I got a tip!

When you are typing an email adress or url and you want to enter ".com" press the "FN" button then "@" and it will enter it fore you. 2 keystrokes instead of 4!
    GO DAWGS!

I picked up an ebay-ed Incredible to tide me over until something with a good keyboard came out for Verizon...it only cements the feeling for me about how:

A) Android is far superior to Blackberry in terms of form, function, and fun.

&

B) I LOATHE TOUCHSCREEN KEYBOARDS!!!!!!! I don't text or send email from my phone much in the week since I got this, because its a pain in the ***...and when I DO text, i usually use the voice2text button, as it gets it right more than my fat fingers on the screen.

and just because you guys (especially you bunny ) would expect no less from me, I end my post thusly:

I EFFING HATE YOU VERIZON!!! Damn you for not having a decent keyboarded Android. I LOVE Android but hate hate hate hate hate the all touchscreen factor that you insist on forcing down our throats you worthless pieces of dog feces!!

That is all

Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxHusker View Post
    I picked up an ebay-ed Incredible to tide me over until something with a good keyboard came out for Verizon...it only cements the feeling for me about how:

A) Android is far superior to Blackberry in terms of form, function, and fun.

&

B) I LOATHE TOUCHSCREEN KEYBOARDS!!!!!!! I don't text or send email from my phone much in the week since I got this, because its a pain in the ***...and when I DO text, i usually use the voice2text button, as it gets it right more than my fat fingers on the screen.

and just because you guys (especially you bunny ) would expect no less from me, I end my post thusly:

I EFFING HATE YOU VERIZON!!! Damn you for not having a decent keyboarded Android. I LOVE Android but hate hate hate hate hate the all touchscreen factor that you insist on forcing down our throats you worthless pieces of dog feces!!

That is all
    Haha, it wouldn't be a bosoxhusker post w/out a Verizon rant! :P It's a shame about the incredible, I've used my Dad's and while it's keyboard's ok...it's no merge that's for sure. Voice 2 Text is good but I'd hate to use it most of the time because it's still just odd enough for other people to go "what the hell is that guy doing with his phone?" lol.

I'm admittedly wavering a bit...i find that i do "ok" on the touchscreen on my Droid 1. I actually feel less stress in my thumbs due to not having to smash a mushy as hell teeny tiny membrane key (thanks...Motorola....NOT!) but there are frustrations like not having a constant comma key, having to switch keyboards if i want to type a string of numbers, and some wacky text correction that linger.

The sad thing is, after seeing the BB Bold 9900 over at Crackberry and watching the videos, it sounds like a great phone and I'm a bit tempted to consider one, even though the hackability is pretty much nonexistant when compared to a Android phone.

If Droid 3 turns out to be everything people are thinking (stock, unencrypted bootloader, no 4G-and the associated 100 buck "4G Tax" verizon's adding into the LTE phone prices) then I'll begrudgingly shove money Motorola's way. If not...I'll be looking into BlackBerry and quite possibly Windows Phone 7 since its rumored that the HTC Arrive/7 Pro could make it onto VZW.

ROM
    Stocked out! Whoo!!!

I demoed the Charge yesterday at the Atlanta event - didn't win it though. Felt nice. I didn't mess with too much because I didn't want to hog the phone but I played with a couple things. If everything sounds good a week after release, it will probably be my next phone.

I just want to weigh the first wave of problems against the Dinc2's first wave.

Does it suck that Verizon lacks an awesome QWERTY phone? Yes. Does that fix my aging battery problem? No.

I was wondering if anyone has Ford Sync in their vehicle and if they are having trouble getting the merge to sync with the text messaging feature? I wanted a new phone just for this reason, sync has a feature where it will read your texts aloud and allow you to respond to them for a reply, but I keep getting a message saying "connected phone does not support text messaging"...which is strange because my 13 yr old has the little messenger and it supports the text feature??? anyone else having these issues?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgett88 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has Ford Sync in their vehicle and if they are having trouble getting the merge to sync with the text messaging feature? I wanted a new phone just for this reason, sync has a feature where it will read your texts aloud and allow you to respond to them for a reply, but I keep getting a message saying "connected phone does not support text messaging"...which is strange because my 13 yr old has the little messenger and it supports the text feature??? anyone else having these issues?

hey does the merge run on bing or google
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by noster420 View Post
    hey does the merge run on bing or google
    It comes set up with google but I have found bing buried deep in it with the option to make it the default.
    GO DAWGS!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bridgett88 View Post
    I don't have ford sync so I can't help to much other than to ask do you have a task killer? If so it might be causing the problems. I have seen it kill things it shouldn't like gtalk and things like that and if it does you won't be logged in.
    GO DAWGS!

Where did you buy it?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

ROM
    Stock

At my local Alltel store. They have had it for almost 2 months now.
    GO DAWGS!

Jtown--I see my US Cellular is supposed to be picking up the Merge in a few days. I'm coming off of a BB Bold and have a few questions for you.

What BB did you have previously?

Do you know what version of HTC Sense the merge has?

I've been also considering holding out for the new Galaxy S ii and have watched a few videos showing where TouchWiz has the options to create folders that you can organize apps/functions in. Does the Merge have that option?

How is the dialer? I tried an Alltel HTC Hero about a year ago and the dialer sometimes took 30+ seconds from the time I hit send till when it actually placed the call. Didn't know if that was a fault in Sense or the Hero's hardware.

Coming from a BB you of course were used to dependable battery life. How would you rate the merge? Comparable? I don't have a problem charging every night but it needs to at least make it through the day with average use.

When you had your BB, were you addicted to keyboard shortcuts as I am? With the default BB shortcuts and QuickLaunch I could fly around all of the BB's functions. How has that transition went for you? Thats part of the reason I wondered about the folders so that I could save some swiping through homescreens to get to what I want efficiently.

And finally, are you still overall happy with the phone? Do you wish you could have the Milestone X with 4.3 screen or are you satisfied with the 3.8 on the Merge? (of course it probably still seems huge compared to your BB!)

Thanks!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by hilgerone View Post
    Jtown--I see my US Cellular is supposed to be picking up the Merge in a few days. I'm coming off of a BB Bold and have a few questions for you.

What BB did you have previously?

Do you know what version of HTC Sense the merge has?

I've been also considering holding out for the new Galaxy S ii and have watched a few videos showing where TouchWiz has the options to create folders that you can organize apps/functions in. Does the Merge have that option?

How is the dialer? I tried an Alltel HTC Hero about a year ago and the dialer sometimes took 30+ seconds from the time I hit send till when it actually placed the call. Didn't know if that was a fault in Sense or the Hero's hardware.

Coming from a BB you of course were used to dependable battery life. How would you rate the merge? Comparable? I don't have a problem charging every night but it needs to at least make it through the day with average use.

When you had your BB, were you addicted to keyboard shortcuts as I am? With the default BB shortcuts and QuickLaunch I could fly around all of the BB's functions. How has that transition went for you? Thats part of the reason I wondered about the folders so that I could save some swiping through homescreens to get to what I want efficiently.

And finally, are you still overall happy with the phone? Do you wish you could have the Milestone X with 4.3 screen or are you satisfied with the 3.8 on the Merge? (of course it probably still seems huge compared to your BB!)

Thanks!
    I had a curve 8330 and I'm not sure what version number of sence the merge has but it is not the newest on that they are talking about ripping things put of now but it is newer than the hero. I don't think that the newest sense that I'm talking about is out yet or if it is its on just one phone so its up to date. I think the new sense is for dual core phones only.

Yes you can create folders on the merge, I have one on my home screen for all of my games.

The dialer connects within 2-4 seconds. A little slower than my berry but worth the wait and not 30 seconds ever.

Now battery life. It is not even in the same ball park as my curve. I could go 2 days some times with out charging it. With the merge you need to buy a charger for your car and one for work if you work long hours like I have to. I am a heavy user even at work so I would say it will last 8-12 hours of heavy use and it will last a day of normal use. My friend bought the milestone x and it looks like the merge has better battery life. The best thing I can tell you is to have a charger near by like I do and it doesn't bother me al all. I run live wall paper and things that make it worst but it is not a problem for me to plug it in.

As for the key board short cuts on the merge. If you like them on you bold you will be very happy with the merge. It has a key called AP1 than is dedicated to it and you can set up as may as you like where all you have to do is press menu and the letter you assigned it to. You won't get that on a touch screen phone that doesn't have the phycial key board.

Over all I am very happy with my Merge and I would not trade it for the milestone x. My friend that bought the MX wishes he bought he merge because he also had a blackberry and doesn't like typing on the screen. I would like to have the bigger screen but not at the sacrifice of the keyboard.

I hope this helps and if you come up with any more questions let me know.
    GO DAWGS!
    Thanked by 2:

I called my USC guy and he said they should be getting them tomorrow so I'm going to swing by Saturday and check it out.

And I do have a couple more questions.

Is the folder option on it "stock" or did you download an app for that?

Hows the typing going moving from the tight BB to the spread out keyboard?

Build quality is pretty solid?

Also, how does the screen hold up in the sun? I work outside a lot and it needs to be at least readable without having to shade it with the other hand. I assume it has a auto bright/dimming feature for the screen too?

Sounds promising with the keyboard shortcuts. That is one of the biggest things I missed when I went to the Hero from my 8330.

Thanks for the quick reply and info!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast