where is everything? :)

bruceblosser

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't think this question is specific to the US Cellular device... but thought i'd give it a try here!
I used to have a Huawei Ascend Y smartphone that used android 2.3... and that version seemed to make sense to me, as far as how memory and sd cards were concerned, but now that i have the Note 3 - with android 4.3 i am completely confused as to where things are going, and when!

I have been able to set my picture editing programs and the camera to store everything on the external SD card, and i have also been able to put all my music songs on the external SD card, and i am able to play these files...

However, even when i go into settings and application manager and indicate that i want programs to be stored on the external SD card, it doesn't seem to get put there... but instead put on this emulated SD card...

When using file managers I see a storage forlder and a MNT folder... and i am not sure if these are both symbolic links or actual folders

So the question is can i actually move apps to the external SD card, if so, how do i do it... and what exactly is the difference between Storage and MNT?

thanks for your help! :p

-bruce

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: where the %&^% is everything? :)

Since Android dropped official support for External SD Cards a while ago, the external SD card must be 'emulated' as a mounted internal partition, but in the end, the "SD Card" (I know why this can be confusing) is actually the internal phone memory and "ExtSD Card" is your external memory if available.

Now, with Samsung phones, you can move apps to SD via the Application Manager BUT it's still up to the app's dev to decide how much of the app's data can be moved. Some apps will move all downloaded data, some will move only external files, some will not allow you to move anything at all.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

No JB will not move apps to extSDcard only the internal SDcard.

Storage is a general term and depicts multiple locations

MNT is for mount and allow you to browse what is mounted to your device..

bruceblosser

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

that you for your quick response!

When i go into Application Manager - i can see that i supposedly moved a large number of my downloaded apps to the SD card - but then when i try to use any kind of file manager, or even looking at the phone from my computer's windows explorer, i don't actually see ANY of these applications - (ie folders and or files) on the external SD card... this is why i was asking about the difference between STORAGE and MNT

-bruce

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

STORAGE came into being with JB as a general folder for all the different storage areas android used. MNT is direct path to each device actually connected to the OS. This can get confusing because Storage can show duplicates of several things but they are not actual copies just images for android to redirect the seeking app or task to the correct data.

When you connect from your PC it sees the "REAL" SDcard but when apps are concerned the internal virtual SDcard is used. Many file managers don't display the actual folder/partition structure. I suggest trying X-plore file manager its my personal favorite.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore&token=s4E_RYIl

With Windows on your PC X-plore can scan your network with wifi and allow you to logon to your windows box and browse your shared content and copy to and from it so no more need for swapping SDcards back and forth.