Any Truth To The Rumors Flying About Unlimited Hot Spot?

Zumaone

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
its for the first generation lte phones. 30.$ unlimited tethering. which if true will. make me mad I've been waiting for the Bionic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

drego74

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Any Truth To The Rumors Flying About Unlimited Hot Spot??

It just doesn't make sense to me. I would like it to be true but can you imagine what the ramifications would be if everyone did use unlimited tethering? This would no doubt bog down the system I would imagine. Post a link to source if you can.

Bigdaddy649

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I currently have unlimited tethering on a BB through Verizon. I am looking to upgrade to a Charge and am told that I can only keep unlimited tethering if I stay 3G.

MrTruckincowboy#AC

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I had unlimited on my storm as well but i pulled the trigger and went to the charge nice thought i wish on unlimited tether would be nice.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

I work for a verizon wireless authorized retailer, we were told late last week that for 30$ a month you will have unlimited data tethering on the current 4g phones i.e. Droid Charge, Thunderbolt and Revolution. I don't have a 100% guarantee on this info, but it's very well possible. Hoping to get a 100% official word sometime soon. It does seem a little iffy figuring that would hinder their 4g mifi device sales if you ask me... I'll keep trying to get an official comfirmation or denial on the matter and get back to everyone tho.

basscadet

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Can't you just root your phone and enjoy unlimited tethering anyway? I don't see what the big concern is?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

Can't you just root your phone and enjoy unlimited tethering anyway? I don't see what the big concern is?

Yeah, that is an option as far as I know... But either way if this does turn out to be true it's not half bad of a deal really... When your other alternative is to buy a 4g mifi device and pay at least 50 bucks a month for only 5gb of data usage... using your 4g phone and getting unlimited tethering for 30 bucks is a steal in that aspect!

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I can definitely see why Verizon would rather have customers paying $30 for unlimited tethering + minimum $30 for smartphone data + $$ for voice minutes + $$ for text messaging bundle instead of a $50 mifi device... Verizon sees it as a steal ;)

Danrarbc#WN

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

But if Verizon ever starts inspecting packets and sniffs out browser or even Flash IDs that isn't an option anymore, they'd be able to spot normal PC traffic and force you into tethering. Also even without packet inspection they could probably see if your IP is hitting Windows/Apple Update servers, something a phone wouldn't do.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

I pay 30$ for my DX and 80$ for my 4g mifi this would save me some money

basscadet

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

For $30, it is a good deal. But all this means is that people will see it as the go-ahead to start streaming Netflix 720p videos daily...which will reduce the network to a crawl.

basscadet

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

But if Verizon ever starts inspecting packets and sniffs out browser or even Flash IDs that isn't an option anymore, they'd be able to spot normal PC traffic and force you into tethering. Also even without packet inspection they could probably see if your IP is hitting Windows/Apple Update servers, something a phone wouldn't do.

Packet inspection? There is absolutely no way Verizon could even begin to afford to do that.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

I work for a verizon wireless authorized retailer, we were told late last week that for 30$ a month you will have unlimited data tethering on the current 4g phones i.e. Droid Charge, Thunderbolt and Revolution. I don't have a 100% guarantee on this info, but it's very well possible. Hoping to get a 100% official word sometime soon. It does seem a little iffy figuring that would hinder their 4g mifi device sales if you ask me... I'll keep trying to get an official comfirmation or denial on the matter and get back to everyone tho.

Please update as soon as you hear anything.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

Please update as soon as you hear anything.

I'll be completely honest, even in the store we are receiving information that is contradicting prior information... It's a bit messy if you ask me, but one thing I read today from an official verizon print out is that you can get 2gb mobile hotspot per month for $20 if you currently have a $30 data plan on your smartphone... But that isn't what I initially have seen or read, so like I said things are very confusing right now. Trust me I'm definitely looking into it the best I can tho! But as far as I am still concerned if you have the droid charge and currently have unlimited data you will be able to tether to another device unlimited data for $30. Take note that that means an additional $30 to do so, that isn't going off of the regular $30 dollar unlimited data package currently available.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Packet inspection? There is absolutely no way Verizon could even begin to afford to do that.

They already do.

Seriously. All you guys that think Verizon doesn't know, or can't tell, that you're tethering without paying have no idea what you're talking about. They know and they do care. And with these tiers, I imagine it won't be long before they start mailing out warnings to customers to either start paying or see their service canceled.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

They already do.

Seriously. All you guys that think Verizon doesn't know, or can't tell, that you're tethering without paying have no idea what you're talking about. They know and they do care. And with these tiers, I imagine it won't be long before they start mailing out warnings to customers to either start paying or see their service canceled.

Couldn't agree more, it's MUCH easier than you think for them to tell... I mean come on, they can track exactly how many minutes, texts and data usage you use. It's not any harder for them to track that as well. And that is exactly what they will do, there might not even be any warnings to it.

Bigdaddy649

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I spoke with a verizon rep last night and she stated this was the case but for how long who knows. I guess I will pull the trigger and get the charge. I can't wait any longer.