Device is low on memory

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
This error message keeps popping up a few times a day. I've tried searching google for an answer, but can't find one. Is this message referring to RAM, device storage, or SD memory? I am assuming RAM. What can I do to fix it? I don't usually leave apps running, and the only widgets on my home screen are google search, calendar, and weather bug. Google search doesn't update, calendar is updated once a day (I assume), and I have weather bug to only update manually. I also have lookout free and smart battery running full time.

drego74

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
im assuming you are on the stock rom something is taking up all your memory.
id root and debloat it if i were you
Great Advice Cowboy. I would also like to advise you to root and de-bloat. There is a great section right above the regular posts dedicated to assisting you in the rooting process. This should more than help you regain control of your low ram situation. Hope this helps.

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, but I'm not comfortable rooting yet. I want to get rid of the bloatware but I don't want to screw my phone up. I was thinking of waiting until gingerbread is officially released then making a decision.

chaddymoff

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Without rooting, you could install a freebie like Android Battery Booster (I think NetQin is the developer.) It might help you pinpoint what is hogging resources?

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that warning is about low RAM, because when RAM starts to get low the OS automatically begins purging what it thinks are the least important running apps to make more room for whatever you're working on at the moment.

So it has to be the 2GB of internal memory that's getting full. You can relieve that by uninstalling apps you don't really need [start with the largest ones first] and/or by setting certain apps to install on the SD card.

Reactions: xRodo

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that warning is about low RAM, because when RAM starts to get low the OS automatically begins purging what it thinks are the least important running apps to make more room for whatever you're working on at the moment.

So it has to be the 2GB of internal memory that's getting full. You can relieve that by uninstalling apps you don't really need [start with the largest ones first] and/or by setting certain apps to install on the SD card.

Thanks. I think you are correct. Unfortunately, I rooted my phone and hard bricked it with the first ROM I tried to flash.

BobR

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I got this all the time when my Charge was new. It's been a while, but I believe it was specific to background task memory. I tried the clear memory button, which only helped temporarily because all the background services would eventually restart. So when given the option to not get this notification any more, I said "yes". Don't know if it caused any side effects by ignoring that, but I figured I didn't really have any other solution.

There has been a system update since then, and I've noticed that the amount of background services memory available is much larger. (Home - Settings - Applications - Running Services) Don't know what changed, but I'm guessing that the update increase the allocation for background services.

I didn't record the previous usage, but right now for example, I show... "Available:41MB+83MB in 17 services."

The only time I really notice a lag (other than expected moments like when an app is installing, or some other heavy processing is occuring) is when I am on the built in launcher. I plan to try out Launcher Pro or Go Launcher EX, but never seem to get around to it.

Reactions: BlueBiker

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a stock Charge and get this message about once or twice a day. When it comes up, my memory(RAM) is at least half free and my storage has plenty space (about 10% internal usage and less than 5% used on the sdcard) so I don't know what causes the message.

xRodo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I got everything fixed and then rooted my phone again. I installed the debloated Gingerbread. Since then, I haven't seen this message a single time.