I just got the Charge and its pretty cool but I want to be able to switch back and forth with my Fascinate. When I *228 I can reactivate my Fascinate but when I want to go back to the Charge I have to call Verizon to do this. Has anybody figured out how to avoid calling Verizon to do this?
    07-15-2011 02:35 PM
    I used to use *228 to update my cell towers when I used Blackberry. After I bought my Charge I was told by the Verizon support desk not to use *228 with the Charge.

So I would call VZ for their input before trying it. Just my opinion!

There was option 1 and option 2 when I dialed in with my BB. I know option 2 was to update the towers. I'm not sure if entering option 1 is still used to activate.
    07-15-2011 03:14 PM
    Probably has to do with the Charge being a LTE device.
    07-15-2011 04:55 PM
    You can just go to the verizon wireless website and change devices there. It will ask you to input the number printed on the LTE SIM card.
    07-15-2011 05:15 PM
    Probably has to do with the Charge being a LTE device.
    You're right, that's what they said. 4G does not use *228!
    07-15-2011 05:49 PM
    You're right, that's what they said. 4G does use *228!
    4G *doesn't* use *228. LTE devices' SIM cards automatically update their PRL (you can force an update by restarting the device). I've heard that *228 will damage LTE devices, but I can't see how. You can switch between two LTE devices by interchanging their SIM cards (it's spookily easy). However, the SIM in your Charge is associated with a specific ESN (mobile number) in Verizon's system, which is why you have to call them whenever you want to reassociate the SIM with a new ESN. I know, because when Costco sent me my charge, they associated the SIM with the wrong ESN and I had to have them send me a new one. -.-
    07-15-2011 06:05 PM
    4G *doesn't* use *228. LTE devices' SIM cards automatically update their PRL (you can force an update by restarting the device). I've heard that *228 will damage LTE devices, but I can't see how. You can switch between two LTE devices by interchanging their SIM cards (it's spookily easy). However, the SIM in your Charge is associated with a specific ESN (mobile number) in Verizon's system, which is why you have to call them whenever you want to reassociate the SIM with a new ESN. I know, because when Costco sent me my charge, they associated the SIM with the wrong ESN and I had to have them send me a new one. -.-
    Best part is that Verizon's system doesn't automatically cancel a sim card if you switch to a non-sim device. They hold it for a set number of days (30 or 60, I can't remember), so that you can switch without a problem.
    07-16-2011 12:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD