Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    stock

Default Is there a better browser for the Charge?

I hope someone here can help with a question. Is there a browser that provides more support for things like drop down menus and scrolling a menu within a web page than what comes with the Charge?

I belong to a membership database website from TopProducer.com that I use for contact management. It is similar to say, SalesForce.com. Because it is a database website, there are a lot of drop down menus and menus that you need to scroll within a web page for selecting things like client types, etc. I also have trouble selecting check boxes. The Charge browser does not seem to provide support for these functions. Can anyone here make a better recommendation?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Is there a better browser for the Charge?

I use Dolphin and it seems to do the trick on most of the things you are describing. Not sure how it will deal with something that intensive, but it is worth a try

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I use Dolphin and it seems to do the trick on most of the things you are describing. Not sure how it will deal with something that intensive, but it is worth a try
    This is what I use also. Its the best one IMO.

I would try Splashtop and connect to a pc personally for pages like that. I personally have not yet found a mobile browser that supports the options that you have. Pages never render the right way. Imho

I third dolphin browser. Even has some cool add-ons that are very useful.

I frequently switch between Firefox, Dolphin and Skyfire. They all have their different little quirks that I prefer over the others.
    [Every time a phone gets rooted, an angel gets its wings.]

I'm a Dolphin fan. Works great and the devs keep it updated.

I'm also a big fan of Dolphin.
    It can handle drop down menus, but I don't believe that it can scroll through a menu inside a web page.

ROM
    EE4 debloated v4.2.1

I've found that there's no universal best browser. Most of the third party browsers offer more features but none of them are as well integrated with the phone as the stock browser unfortunately.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Another vote for Dolphin here!

So far, there is no other browser as fast and smooth as Opera for me.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
    I hope someone here can help with a question. Is there a browser that provides more support for things like drop down menus and scrolling a menu within a web page than what comes with the Charge?

I belong to a membership database website from TopProducer.com that I use for contact management. It is similar to say, SalesForce.com. Because it is a database website, there are a lot of drop down menus and menus that you need to scroll within a web page for selecting things like client types, etc. I also have trouble selecting check boxes. The Charge browser does not seem to provide support for these functions. Can anyone here make a better recommendation?
    Thanks everyone for all the tips and suggestions. Based on your feedback, I installed Firefox Beta (version 6), Opera Mobile (not mini), Skyfire, Miren, and Dolphin HD. I tried them all to see how they handled the above quoted circumstances. Here is an example of the problem I was having. When my daily schedule was displayed in the internet window, you could see everything from 10 AM until 7:59 PM. The problem is, you can't scroll up to see if an appointment was scheduled at 9 AM or down to see if there is something at 8 PM.

Firefox handled it the best. Only Firefox supported all the features on the web page. So for my initial question (see the quote above), Firefox is the answer. Firefox is not good enough or bug free enough to be your primary browser. Rather if you have a circumstance like mine, it is the browser to use in that particular circumstance. For all other browsing, you will want to use something else for now.

Opera Mobile seemed to provide the worst support. The performance was underwhelming. So, Opera is out.

Skyfire and Miren do not provide the support I was looking for in my initial question. Both seemed to perform well. These browsers have their niches. I just don't have a reason to keep them on my phone at this time.

Dolphin HD is the fastest browser. It does not provide the support I was hoping to find in my initial question. It does however seem to work as well as the stock browser, but just a little faster.

EDIT: I also tried xScope. It did not do any better than other browsers and had problems rendering parts of the web page.

I'm not an expert. There are lots of folks in this forum that can likely add a lot to my comments. Some of these browsers fill a particular niche, like Firefox Beta does for me. The only browser that I truly did not like was Opera Mobile. I also don’t know if there is any value to the integration of the stock browser over a non-stock browser like Dolphin HD.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!!
    Last edited by ts47; 07-20-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Tried another browser

I have used xScope for over a year and think it is great. It seems to do what you are looking for. Maybe you should give it a look.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    ROM
    Humble 1.4

Opera Mobile here.

I particularly like Skyfire for the "Desktop View" For example, I can view my Facebook page like I would on my desktop or laptop instead of the mobile version like most browsers show.
    [Every time a phone gets rooted, an angel gets its wings.]

Boat works great for me.

Sent from my SCH-I510
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by redskinsnut View Post
    I have used xScope for over a year and think it is great. It seems to do what you are looking for. Maybe you should give it a look.
    I tried xScope. It did not do any better than other browsers and had problems rendering parts of the web page. I edited my browser list above.

I use Opera Mobile, the rendering on the browser is amazing. WHATEVER YOU DO, do not use the AOSP browser that some devs had put in their roms. It causes CPU usage to spike like CRAZZZYY
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

ROM
    stock

Here's one for all you android fans out there and another example where Andoid is better than ios!! As yet another browser comparison, I tried this on a new iphone 4...

Stock browser on the Chage:
    ""When my daily schedule was displayed in the internet window, you could see everything from 10 AM until 7:59 PM. The problem is, you can't scroll up to see if an appointment was scheduled at 9 AM or down to see if there is something at 8 PM.""

The problem with the iphone 4 was much worse than with the Charge's included/stock browser. The iphone would only display my schedule from 10 AM to 2:59 PM. When you can't see what's on your schedule, it kind of defeats the purpose of having one.
    Last edited by ts47; 08-14-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Realized it didn't read quite right.

i also LOVE the dolphin browser. after using it, i haven't touched the stock browser since. WELL worth trying.

Dolphin Browser 6.0 is what I use. I wasn't too fond of 5.0 but I got the Beta for 6.0 and it was much smoother.

Ive tried them all. Xscope, Miren, Firefox, stock, Opera Mobile/Mini... I just didn't like the feel of most of them. Some of the browsers that compress the data and render it to your phone Skyfire/Opera just didn't seem to render everything as well as or fully as dolphin or stock.

Just my 0.02
    hcp

After reading this thread, I decided to try Dolphin Browser HD and I like it much better the default browser Thanks for the advice guys!