Stop the annoying startup sound and video

bmann

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
When my phone freezes and I have to restart it, I hate that annoying sound when it powers off and even worse its the breaking glass sound on startup, can these be eliminated without rooting? Or at least muted?

bmann

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
And while I am asking, can I also turn off those little brown pop up windows near the bottom of the screen reminding me how to use Go Launcher menus or other pages?

noobsickle

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sound settings, volume, turn off system volume

Google navigation has been know to turn this back on at full blast.

But hey, if you're rooted;-)

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
When my phone freezes and I have to restart it, I hate that annoying sound when it powers off and even worse its the breaking glass sound on startup, can these be eliminated without rooting? Or at least muted?

I've read that people who root their device can turn the sound off. I prefer to wait for the next update that will hopefully address this by giving us an option to toggle that annoying sound especially when you are in the middle of an office when it reboots.

What do you expect from a device that was probably designed by Chinese kids and assembled by 6 year olds :D

Then again there are always people who actually like it. They say it pisses off the iphone and Blackberry owners when their Charge starts up :)

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
There won't be a toggle to turn it on or off... Like the poster above said, you can turn your system volume down or completely off, which will mute the sound, but the animation will still play. Also, if your general volume is turned all the way down, the sound will not play on start up

sv_one

May 17, 2011
Visit site
It isn't the animation that's annoying. It is the SOUND. It is very loud and long and annoying. There's absolutely no reason for it. I've never seen it on a phone before.

sv_one

May 17, 2011
Visit site
if you have the sound off (set to vibrate), it won't make the power up/down sound...
Yeah, but have to remember to turn the sound off every time. And, sometimes it spontaneously reboots so no way to turn sound off prior.

Try this to turn off the power up and power down sounds, without having to silence your phone. Also a method for waking the phone without having to swipe the screen.

Tips Dialing Code String for DROID CHARGE and FASCINATE - Android Forums
Um, this is FANTASTIC. THANK YOU.

SuperJonCA

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
It isn't the animation that's annoying. It is the SOUND. It is very loud and long and annoying. There's absolutely no reason for it. I've never seen it on a phone before.

Dude, you are seriously overreacting. Every "droid" branded phone at least says "dddrrrrrrrooooooooooiiiiiiiiiidd" at the boot animation. They all make noise. Calm down.

dlauri

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Dude, you are seriously overreacting. Every "droid" branded phone at least says "dddrrrrrrrooooooooooiiiiiiiiiidd" at the boot animation. They all make noise. Calm down.

They all make noise, and it doesn't bother you, but it bothers other people. Why does it matter to you that other people are bothered by the boot noises enough to seek a way to stop it?

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Download "Silent Boot" from the market. Works for me.

Wow, thanks for this tip.
Just installed this free Silent Boot program and first time I resarted it was silent!
Sweeet. . . always hated that dumb embarrasing opening sound with the DROIDDDDD and then breaking glass sound. It's so childish.
Maybe gamers like it, but I'm not 8 years old.
When I used to remember to turn volume down BEFORE I shut it off at night I never remember to turn it up again and then miss morning calls.

I had tried that secret cade thing months ago, but it did nothing on my Charge.
Try Silent Boot . . . worked for me!

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried the instructions from the aforementioned link since the update? I tried it and it doesn't seem to work. I can get it to access the "hidden menu". But when I type the string to access the Audio menu (*#28346#) nothing happens. the numbers go away..but no menu appears. Here is a quote of the instructions:

Audio Tuning
*#28346#
Several audio tuning menus.
I've only tested the two items below:

To silence boot and shutdown audio go to Situation/BOOTSOUND and turn the values to 0. I've tested and confirmed this works.

There is no menu as a result of the command..so what it means by "go to situation" I have no idea. Has anyone else had any luck?

PS. Yes there are times when "DROOOOOIIIDD-crashbangcrackle" is not a good thing to have happen. This earblasting nonsense has no place in a professional environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: KB3MMX

graybeardnc

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried the instructions from the aforementioned link since the update? I tried it and it doesn't seem to work. I can get it to access the "hidden menu". But when I type the string to access the Audio menu (*#28346#) nothing happens. the numbers go away..but no menu appears. Here is a quote of the instructions:

There is no menu as a result of the command..so what it means by "go to situation" I have no idea. Has anyone else had any luck?.

This doesn't work with GB. There was a post in the original Dialing String... thread that mentioned this. I can verify that it's true, because it worked for me on 2.2, but I have the same results as above since the update. Silent Boot app took care of the Startup sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy