Netflix through HDMI out to RCS's or S-video

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Oops, once again I screwed up the subject spelling . . . RCS's should have been RCA's (but of course we "are not allowed" to edit the subject and correct a subject typo on this board, go figure).

So far the HDMI micro to HDMI cable mirrors the Charge's screen for Photos or streaming Netflix to a TV with HDMI in and works great.

But since many TV's like in hotels and motels still have TV's with no HDMI in . . . most have only with the red, white and yellow RCA in or S-Video in type connections.

I bought what is called an HDMI (and AC powered) converter for $43 that changes the digital signal to analog for RCA and S-video type TV's.

But I found that this unit "DOES NOT WORK" with the Charge. It works for an HDMI out of a laptop so I'm keeping it for now as many of the newer laptops now only come with HDMI out instead of those round TV monitor out connection that I use a non powered cable that converts that output to RCA's so I could watch Sling box on a full sized tv screen or stream Netflix the same way off my laptops,

"IT MAY WORK" after the Charge gets the Gingerbread OS upgrade like the Thunderbolt just got but the Thunderbolt does not have a Micro HDMI out like the Charge has so even if someone has a converter like I have now a Thunderbolt owner can't test it out anyway.

These "powered" converters work well, but seems they can't convert the Charges signal yet!

If anyone buys one off Amazon the price fluctuates weekly between $43 and $55 each week, so just hold off a few days if you are looking to use one with a new laptop to stream Netflix to a full screen TV and hopefully from the Charge after the Gingerbread update.

Maybe someone who is using the Gingerbread hack and has one of these powered converters that they are using with Apple TV and can report back to us if it works with the Charge and Gingerbread?

Either way, most of these converters are made by "Portta" check them out at: Portta--HDMI Cable HDMI Switch HDMI Splitter
They are sold by like 5 Amazon re-sellers.

WHATEVER YOU DO . . . "DO NOT" purchase one of these powered converters from a re-seller named . . . "Electronics Pro". I just had a bad experience in that he does not list where he is shipping out of like all the other places do (the rest ship from CA, NY, NJ etc. His feedback was 96% because he ships out of "HONG KONG" which takes several weeks. I should have believed his negative feedback BEFORE I purchased. There were several other complaints where people were stuck sending the unit back to "Hong Kong at their expense!

Lastly, he sends item by registered mail, which he does not mention either or I would have shipped to my office. It tracks from Hong Kong and then switches over to UPS over then over to U.S. mail (two of the worst delivery services in the world are now working together) and then USPS then leaves a slip at your house to sign which then took them another 3 days for them to deliver.

Always beware of buying from an Amazon re-seller, I've had nothing but grief with most of them.

Last edited:

Fifty9Dunes

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
sorry to hear about your trouble. the problem with HDMI to the "Red, White & Yellow" RCAs is that it ends up being a composite signal on the RCA end. the converter was probably meant to do the digital to analog work... whatever the case, HDMI isn't cheap to bust out to that configuration as it has to be scaled and converted.

best wishes!

but if you must...:) http://www.markertek.com/Video-Equi...I-Converters/Gefen-Inc/GTV-HDMI-2-COMPS.xhtml

would be the cheapest remotely reliable piece i could find at first glance.

Last edited:

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
sorry to hear about your trouble. the problem with HDMI to the "Red, White & Yellow" RCAs is that it ends up being a composite signal on the RCA end. the converter was probably meant to do the digital to analog work... whatever the case, HDMI isn't cheap to bust out to that configuration as it has to be scaled and converted.

best wishes!

but if you must...:) Gefen Inc GefenTV GTV-HDMI-2-COMPSVIDS HDMI to Composite Scaler HDMI Converters at Markertek.com

would be the cheapest remotely reliable piece i could find at first glance.

Thanks for that answer. The one on Amazon says it lists for $159 (I know they can say anything)

I know it converts OK because I sent the HDMI signal from my PS3 streaming Netflix through a 50 foot HDMI cable in another room and it worked fine through this powered converter. It also works from a laptop's HDMI to S-video or RCA's.

I just can't get it to work out of the Charge's HDMI yet?

But from the specs below on the one I bought what do you see different than the one you show for $272? And other than the coax out?

Product Description
Features HDMI Version Compatible with HDMI 1.3 and HDCP Input HDMI Resolution 480p (60Hz), 576P (50Hz), 720p (50Hz / 60Hz), 1080i (50Hz / 60Hz), 1080p (50Hz / 60Hz) Output Signal Composite Video (1.0Vpp), S-Video(Y:1.0Vpp / C:0.3Vpp) Output Video Systems PAL/NTSC Output Video Impedance 75? Power Supply DC 5V Working Temperature -25 to 75 Working Humidity 10%-60% Product Dimension 118*84*28mm (L*W*H)

Amazon.com: HDMI to Composite /S-Video Converter 3RCA CRT TV CVBS: Electronics

Fifty9Dunes

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ah, i see the problem - that convertor only handles HDMI spec. 1.3 - micro HDMI pinset configuration requires HDMI spec.1.4a or above. after 1.4a it gets stupid and that's where support for 3D comes in. it's nothing, unfortunately, that you could have probably forseen...the newer the tech. the more complicated they make things, so the protocols for cable are constantly changing...and it's a huge pain it the ass.

so, based on that - nix my original link, as the specs they give for that box aren't descriptive enough to tell if it would work or not.

-cheers, and good luck

Last edited:

expidia

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
ah, i see the problem - that convertor only handles HDMI spec. 1.3 - micro HDMI pinset configuration requires HDMI spec.1.4a or above. after 1.4a it gets stupid and that's where support for 3D comes in. it's nothing, unfortunately, that you could have probably forseen...the newer the tech. the more complicated they make things, so the protocols for cable are constantly changing...and it's a huge pain it the ass.

so, based on that - nix my original link, as the specs they give for that box aren't descriptive enough to tell if it would work or not.

-cheers, and good luck

Thx for that response. Ya, I've delt with HDMI compatibility when flat screens first came out with HDMI inputs. Due to handshake issues the first HDMI splitter boxes never worked until this issue was addressed and then they not only worked well but the prices for splitters dropped considerably.

Hopefully, the Gingerbread update might resolve this issue (I doubt it though) seems they are always trying to force us into buying new equipment just to stream Netflix onto a big screen TV. I had to spring for 2 PS3's at $150, each just so I could hear Netflix movies in two different rooms in Dolby Digital!

I'm sure someone will come up with reasonably priced powered HDMI converter for Droids.

Fifty9Dunes

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hate to burst your bubble, but there isn't any software update that will allow this...mini HDMI or micro or whatever the hell they are calling it is proprietary to HDMI 1.4a spec - you'll just have to wait til the price drops.

later!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams