Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Data dropping?

I have a Charge and I live near Boston which has 4G LTE. Randomally, my Charge will just not have a data connection. I have an iPhone 4 as well and it has full signal 3G but the Charge will not connect to 3G or 4G. The only way to fix this is if I restart the phone. When I do that, it has 4G LTE full signal. All the while my location does not change, I am home. What is wrong? Is this common? How do I fix it?

Default Re: Data dropping?

Quote Originally Posted by Guphanti View Post
    I have a Charge and I live near Boston which has 4G LTE. Randomally, my Charge will just not have a data connection. I have an iPhone 4 as well and it has full signal 3G but the Charge will not connect to 3G or 4G. The only way to fix this is if I restart the phone. When I do that, it has 4G LTE full signal. All the while my location does not change, I am home. What is wrong? Is this common? How do I fix it?
    I had a similar problem but even more difficult. I live in CT and was traveling through MA to Martha's Vineyard and couldn't get a data signal on my whole trip. Even in the Verizon store on MV I couldn't get a signal after battery removal and factory reset. They overnighted me a new phone, but while I was waiting I called my voicemail and by the time i hung up I had a 3G connection. Not sure if this was just a coincidence, but I'm taking the new phone just in case.

It's weird we can't call *228 like you could with your old phones, but I have a feeling my phone just didn't know where the towers were (though the whole time I could make phone calls, just no data). My GF has a 3G motodroid that worked fine the whole time.

Between this and my SD card sh*ting the bed I'm not too impressed with the durability of this phone. What gives?

I am in a 4g area and my phone is doing the same thing. I hope there is a fix for this soon as I am already on my third charge!

I'm about and hour north of Boston in NH. We don't have 4g here yet. But my phone is always dropping data alltogether and it take rebooting or just waiting it out to fix the problem. Sigh.... other than that I love the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I have this problem too; toggling 4G/3G usually works, failing that I go in and out of airplane mode.

Spoke to Verizon about this today as a matter of fact. This is a known issue, and they have an update that they are working on to correct it. The Tech Support Rep said she didn't have an exact ETA, but did say that it would come in the form of a normal maintenance release.

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 RC2

Quote Originally Posted by Orcares View Post
    Spoke to Verizon about this today as a matter of fact. This is a known issue, and they have an update that they are working on to correct it. The Tech Support Rep said she didn't have an exact ETA, but did say that it would come in the form of a normal maintenance release.
    A VZW rep on the Verizon support forums acknowledged the issue and said they were working on a fix back at the beginning of July. I would like to see a fix soon, but as slow as the updates for the Fascinate were, I am not getting my hopes up.

Per my chat with VZ tech support, could be a SIM card issue, as the SIM is what allows the 4G connection, unlike the 3G phones, which do not require a card. If the SIM card is bad, the connection to data service could be interrupted.
    Replaced the SIM card at VZ store, and have not lost data connection (4G) in over 24 hours. The signal seems to be stronger, too. Coincidence?
    Last edited by atheron121; 08-09-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: updated information

My data goes in and out every few minutes....not a huge deal so I have not called verizon yet....had a similar problem on my fascinate....had verizon do a hard reset on their end and it fixed it....maybe I will try that with the charge....

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Getting pretty fed up with the data dropping. Even cancelled my internet service banking on the 4g. Low and behold it will completely drop, switch to 3g, then down to 1x but never return to it's original state. Only thing that can be done is to switch in and out of airplane mode which in my opinion is a load of crap especially after paying 300+ dollars for this "flagship" phone.
    trifecta likes this.

My wife was having the same problem. Took the phone to COSTCO (where we bought the phone) and the lady said it might be the SIM card. She replaced it and the phone no longer drops 3G. You may want to start there with VERIZON.

I will be receiving my 4th charge due to data and call quality issues. Also, the phone freezes when exiting apps.

The verizon rep I spoke with said my area is new and having trouble with 4g and the 4g phones will have data problems when that happens. I am going to hope the 4th phone is better with the other issues and wait for the 4g issues to resolve in my area. When 4g works, it is very fast and I understand it takes time to work out the kinks.

The sim card is something I have not thought about, so I am calling verizon today to request they please send a new one. Will this erase all of my contacts saved to my current sim?

The SIM card is used to tell the phone what service (4G/3G) Verizon is using. The SD card is were your data is stored. 2 different cards.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Quote Originally Posted by coulter6 View Post
    The SIM card is used to tell the phone what service (4G/3G) Verizon is using. The SD card is were your data is stored. 2 different cards.
    He isn't asking about data saved on the SD card, but rather contacts stored on the SIM card. They should be able to transfer your contacts from one SIM to another
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gossett View Post
    He isn't asking about data saved on the SD card, but rather contacts stored on the SIM card. They should be able to transfer your contacts from one SIM to another
    I had my sim card repalced today to resolve the no 3G issue, I still have all of my conatcts. I use backup assistant, don't know if it makes a difference.

seems like switching between airplane mode ON/OFF is our solution for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG DROID CHARGE 4G LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Droid3r View Post
    seems like switching between airplane mode ON/OFF is our solution for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG DROID CHARGE 4G LTE
    That use to work for me. Once it airplane mode quit working, nothing, reboot, power offf/on, battery pull or reseat sim card would work. Replacing the sim card fixed the problem immediately.

Replace sim.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

I tried getting my SIM card replaced at the store and the rep wouldn't do it

ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by zeus_r6 View Post
    Verizon can act stupid as nmuch as they want to ,bnut they know there is a problem with the sim card shipped with the Charge, the VZW Manager told me that the day i carried my charge in asking for a sim card that had never been sent to me to begin with... he was more than helpful, even telling me that his son has a fascinate that had to be replaced and VZW offered him a droid x2 which was all he could get.the manager told me that the charge was a much better phone than the droid x2. dual processors or not 1ghz was still 1 ghz processor.. manager said his son really wanted a charge but at that time VZW wouldnt do it,, but after eating fascinate after fascinate they began offering the droid Charge...

he also said that in a few weeks Verizon should have their systems up to speed and all wouild see the difference.. just a pass on from a VZW co-op store to you..john doe public

Quote Originally Posted by zeus_r6 View Post
    Here is how I got VZ store to replace my sim card.
    - I put my Charge in CDMA mode.
    - went to store and put demo Charge in CDMA mode
    - showed VZ rep the display model connected in 3G mode, mine would not do it
    - I suggested it could be the sim card
    - rep replaced the sim card

Instantly my Charge had a 3G connection after activation.

Hi All, My Charge has begun dropping data multiple times a day now, to the point that when I pick up my phone I can pretty much count on not having a data connection.. 3g or 1x (in CDMA mode only).

Does the SIM card replacement resolve this issue? or only the next OTA update?

Thanks

Droid Charge - Tapatalk

Just signed up after reading for a while. Just wanted to say I have been having the same problem forever on my Charge. I tried switching to CDMA mode and that didn't help (then swtiched back to LTE). Tried restarting, several times, didn't help. Tried remving the battery, didn't help. Tried reseating the SD card, didn't help. Then tried turning on CDMA mode again and it's working fairly well now. From what I can tell, reseating the SD card + CDMA mode fixed it, now it will hold a 3G signal most of the time. Hope this helps someone.

ROM
    EE4 Voodoo, EP1W Radio

I would like to add that mine has a tendency to drop the 1x that we have here in Extended Network quite frequently. Interestingly, when I am in a native service area, it works like it should. I blame my problems on the carrier in the extended network area (USCC)
    Last edited by Kevin Gossett; 09-20-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Language

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Went to the Verizon store...they replaced the sim card right in front of me and the issues are unchanged.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast