Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trying to decide between Droid X2 or Charge

They both seem to be fairly close in specs. Anyone have any real life comparisons/recommendations?

-GJ

Default Re: Trying to decide between Droid X2 or Charge

do u live in a 4G area?

ROM
    Gummy Charged FE 1.9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Droid3r View Post
    do u live in a 4G area?
    Yea, that would be question #1. I have the charge, and my coworker has the X2, I personally like the charge better, I think the screen looked nicer, and it felt "snappier." But I only used hers for ~1.5hr, and it was completely stock, whereas mine is rooted, different kernel, rom, theme, etc. So I can't say beyond that. However, if you are in a 4G area, I would say its definitely worth it, the internet speeds are insane.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

No, strictly 3g and prob won't be 4g for 5+ yrs (if at all). I do travel some for work, but only 3-4 times/year to major cities for maybe a week tops at a time.

Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

If you live in a 3G only area, I'd say go with the X2. Fit & finish, as well as call quality are far better on the X2. The Charge's advantages are the Super AMOLED+ screen & LTE. The data speeds really are sick.

well in that case then droid x 2 since it handles the 3g better than the charge. plus its not worth paying 300 bucks plus tax if you arent going to take advantage on the 4g speeds on a daily basis.

ROM
    Gummy Charged FE 1.9.1

Worth noting, however, from a review I was just reading on the Droid X2 from Droid Life here

"Update: After spending a lengthy amount of time (our review) with the DROIDX2 after writing this post, we can conclude that this might be one of our least favorite screens of all time. qHD to Motorola is indeed just a marketing term, because this screen is no where near HD-quality. You can see pixels on the device with a naked eye, colors are never correct, and the instant head pounding that you receive while scrolling through anything is something I’ve never seen from another phone. It’s not pretty in the Moto PenTile world."

That was pretty much my impression of the screen on the X2 as well. When I walk by my coworker and see her screen, I am so thankful I don't have to look at that.
    Last edited by stranula; 08-09-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stranula View Post
    Worth nothing, however, from a review I was just reading on the Droid X2 from Droid Life here

"Update: After spending a lengthy amount of time (our review) with the DROIDX2 after writing this post, we can conclude that this might be one of our least favorite screens of all time. qHD to Motorola is indeed just a marketing term, because this screen is no where near HD-quality. You can see pixels on the device with a naked eye, colors are never correct, and the instant head pounding that you receive while scrolling through anything is something Iíve never seen from another phone. Itís not pretty in the Moto PenTile world."
    You know, I read all the negative comments regarding the X2's screen. I spent an hour or 2 at Verizon playing with each device (X2 & Charge). I could not see the pixelation every one was screaming about. The screen was very bright & text was nice & crisp.

My suggestion is to visit Verizon & scrutinize the screen. Only your eyes matter.

ROM
    Gummy Charged FE 1.9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    You know, I read all the negative comments regarding the X2's screen. I spent an hour or 2 at Verizon playing with each device (X2 & Charge). I could not see the pixelation every one was screaming about. The screen was very bright & text was nice & crisp.

My suggestion is to visit Verizon & scrutinize the screen. Only your eyes matter.

You are absolutely correct, if it looks good to you then there is no problem, all just personal preference.
    AcrobatSausages likes this.
    Androidoholic

Global Posts
    1,530 Global Posts

The Charge only has around 250mb of user space for apps.... So to me that's a deal breaker.

Mean while the X and X2 have 8 Gigs.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by mrspock2002 View Post
    The Charge only has around 250mb of user space for apps.... So to me that's a deal breaker.

yeah but the Charge comes with a 32 GB SD card, the X2 only an 8GB. The Charge is 4G as well but the X2 is only 3G.

Both are nice, coming from the fascinate, the Charge was obvious for me...

X2 has pretty much everything over it, besides dev support (which is coming), 4g, and ffc, other than that the x2 wins in every category
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by albertgeorge View Post
    X2 has pretty much everything over it, besides dev support (which is coming), 4g, and ffc, other than that the x2 wins in every category
    It is a matter of opinion, but yours is without a doubt funny. What are you basing it on?
    he sAmoled screen is a winner for DC
    internal storage is a winner DX
    Dual core for DX
    FFC for DC
    OTB external storage for DC
    4G for the DC
    cameras are a push
    blur vs TW is a push
    onboard ram is a push
    battery is basically a push (slight advantage to the DC in mAh)
    weight is for the DC

There is no clear cut winner here. It depends on your area and your likes. For me the Charge is better than the X and even the TB, but it won't hold a candle to the Prime....
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts

My Charge has 1GB of space for apps. Plenty of space.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    My Charge has 1GB of space for apps. Plenty of space.
    I believe the other guy was talking about usable space. Once you get Android and bloat on there it knocks it down significantly.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I believe the other guy was talking about usable space. Once you get Android and bloat on there it knocks it down significantly.
    Mine has 1GB+ of usable space for apps. This is with 40 apps installed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying to decide between Droid X2 or Charge-sc20110809-232719.png  

If the OP is considering a Sammy, then why not wait for a few more weeks and get galaxy S2?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Mine has 1GB+ of usable space for apps. This is with 40 apps installed.

Well WTF?!?! Mine has 879MB free too...lol
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by TauntingBull View Post
    If the OP is considering a Sammy, then why not wait for a few more weeks and get galaxy S2?
    Seems like OP was looking for more of a now than a later

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

Quote Originally Posted by TauntingBull View Post
    Because that Galaxy S2 is likely not going to be the verizon variant, but rather the AT&T one. Verizon was the last major carrier to get their variant of the original Galaxy S, and that is likely to happen again with the SGS2. I wouldn't expect a verizon SGS2 for at least a couple of months.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

I went from the fascinate to the DX2. I had the option to get the Charge. After having 4 fascinates that none of them ever worked right I couldn't bring myself to have another Samsung right now so I tried the DX2. Build quality is stellar, phone feels much more solid. Now that we have GB on it the little bit of bloat doesn't bother me because the phone flies. its the fasted 3G I've had yet and the battery life is easily double what I got on the fascinate. To me the Charge just looks like a next gen fascinate, bigger screen, 4G, same processor and software. I am loving my DX2 more each day. Blur was horrid but ADW fixed that.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    It is a matter of opinion, but yours is without a doubt funny. What are you basing it on?
    he sAmoled screen is a winner for DC
    internal storage is a winner DX
    Dual core for DX
    FFC for DC
    OTB external storage for DC
    4G for the DC
    cameras are a push
    blur vs TW is a push
    onboard ram is a push
    battery is basically a push (slight advantage to the DC in mAh)
    weight is for the DC

There is no clear cut winner here. It depends on your area and your likes. For me the Charge is better than the X and even the TB, but it won't hold a candle to the Prime....
    I forgot to include samoled, but that not even a clear cut winner, x2 is pushing out a higher res, and someone who looks past pentile will like that better. Battery is much better on the x2, mostly because of the pentile display, and that it isnt 4g. Any 3g phone battery life will outmatch a 4g phone. 60 mAh isnt going to change the game. And as for the weight, they are basically the same weight and its hard to tell the difference as there only about .40 oz differences. And you forgot to mention the thiness and build quality of the x2 that might win some people over, plus the phone is a tad smaller.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by albertgeorge View Post
    I forgot to include samoled, but that not even a clear cut winner, x2 is pushing out a higher res, and someone who looks past pentile will like that better. Battery is much better on the x2, mostly because of the pentile display, and that it isnt 4g. Any 3g phone battery life will outmatch a 4g phone. 60 mAh isnt going to change the game. And as for the weight, they are basically the same weight and its hard to tell the difference as there only about .40 oz differences. And you forgot to mention the thiness and build quality of the x2 that might win some people over, plus the phone is a tad smaller.
    The resolution on the Charge can be changed if you so wish.

I understand that 3G uses less battery in theory, but in my experience it is a wash. that is just my experience so YMMV. I don't wan a screen that I have to "look past its flaws" to like. I want a screen I like all the time. sAMOLED is it and it is a clear winner.

the .1 in the dimensions difference between the 2 is not even noticeable, just like the 60mAh is negligible (and I agreed).

I don't see a build quality issue with my Charge. Yeah the back sucks but the phone all around is solid.

I come back to my ending statement: There is no clear cut winner here. It depends on your area and your likes. For me the Charge is better than the X and even the TB

Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

Um. I have 1.1 gigs available for apps. Don't think I ever used more than 200 mb on my Fassy. Once GB hits, we will have an additional 32 gigs for apps. Well, that's assuming we get GB. Lol.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    Um. I have 1.1 gigs available for apps. Don't think I ever used more than 200 mb on my Fassy. Once GB hits, we will have an additional 32 gigs for apps. Well, that's assuming we get GB. Lol.
    Why? is the SD Card slot gonna support 64GB Cards?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast