Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4g working but no 3g

Hi im running altered beast 5 and it has been working great for about a month or so now. In the past few days i have noticed that after midnight 4g kicks in where im from. I took it as they were testing it in my area in the middle of the night and then 3g comes back in the morning. well the first 2 nights were fine and now after the 4g goes away in the morning I have no 3g. I have rebooted, pulled the battery, pulled the sim card, factory reset. I got nothing. I tether alot so I thought maybe vzw cut off my data. I called them and told them my prob without mentioning anything I shouldnt be doing. They said my phone must be broken and they are sending me a new one. Has anyone else had this problem? I think it is weird that 4g works when im in a 4g area but 3g wont work at all.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Re: 4g working but no 3g

Mine did that for a few days and had to get a replacement handset

Mine just started doing this today. I noticed when I was in 4G, I had data. If I left a 4G area, I had no data at all. I called VZW and was on the phone for about a half an hour trying to fix the issue. We did everything....factory reset...reset on their end, but still no luck. Finally they decided to send my out a replacement. I just wish someone could explain why all of a sudden it stopped working. I am running stock by the way....

I will be receiving my 4th charge monday. The 3rd phone is having the same data issues and I am in a new 4g area. The rep i spoke with said my area is a problem area right now and they are working to resolve issues. He said this causes the 4g phones to have even 3g data issues as my husband's iphone works great.

I think it takes a little time to work out the kinks in the new 4g areas, so I am just going to wait and hope they resolve the issues soon. I really like the charge!

Ive seen this over at xda too. Lots of people having problems with 3g radios. I don't live in 4g area. Im hoping it doesn't happen to me. But just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Blackberry 8320? OLD > blackberry 8703e > blackberry curve > blackberry Storm 2 > Samsung Fascinate>Droid Charge

UPDATE; Out of nowhere, my 3G started working again. I am wondering if there was a 3G issue in my area and Verizon was slow to report it. My phone seems to be back to normal. I am now wondering if I should still take the replacement or send it back. Any ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by dressagerider View Post
    I will be receiving my 4th charge monday. The 3rd phone is having the same data issues and I am in a new 4g area. The rep i spoke with said my area is a problem area right now and they are working to resolve issues. He said this causes the 4g phones to have even 3g data issues as my husband's iphone works great.

I think it takes a little time to work out the kinks in the new 4g areas, so I am just going to wait and hope they resolve the issues soon. I really like the charge!
    dressagerider:

I was just getting ready to post a message like yours. I lived in a 4G area, but have had terrible data problems inside my house. Yesterday I noticed 3G now works in my house. It has never worked reliablity at my house inside. Maybe VZ did some kind of update on the towers where I live or added a new tower. I live in Cincinnati Ohio, east side.

Quote Originally Posted by barrytest View Post
    dressagerider:

I was just getting ready to post a message like yours. I lived in a 4G area, but have had terrible data problems inside my house. Yesterday I noticed 3G now works in my house. It has never worked reliablity at my house inside. Maybe VZ did some kind of update on the towers where I live or added a new tower. I live in Cincinnati Ohio, east side.
    Verizon said my area has a ticket saying it is a problem now. I hope they get the towers working quickly and I start to receive good service like you now have.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagerider View Post
    Verizon said my area has a ticket saying it is a problem now. I hope they get the towers working quickly and I start to receive good service like you now have.
    I must have jinxed myself. I started to have the problem of only getting 4g. Long story short. Vz store replace the sim card. All is well now. Hope it stays this way.

ROM
    GummyCHARGED FE 2.0

Are you sure you guys aren't frying your sim cards by dialing *228? This is a known issue and if you are dialing that number, stop.

Quote Originally Posted by deadpenguins View Post
    Are you sure you guys aren't frying your sim cards by dialing *228? This is a known issue and if you are dialing that number, stop.
    I have not dialed *228. The weird thing is about 2-3 days before 3G disappeared 3G was working great. Out of the blue 3G stopped working. No matter what I did 3G would not work. I put my phone in CDMA mode and went to VZW store. I set the dispaly model Charge to CDMA and it switched to 3G, mine did not have 3G. I suggested it might be the sim card. The replacement sim card resolved the no 3G problem immediately. I hope it was a defective card and not the phone frying it. Time will tell.