Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

Default Problems with AOL e-mail and Droid Charge

After setting up my AOL email account on my Charge, it has been syncing new messages ok, but I've been having other problems:

- Syncing AOL mail: I have the Charge set to sync 50 emails (set up the same way as my Comcast Account) but the AOL account pulls up the last 50 old emails and delivers them to the phone. (Comcast does not do this). If I delete these old messages, it just pulls up the same amount of even older mail. Very frustrating. Because of the 2nd problem below, some of these messages were actually deleted on my AOL account before I realized what was happening. It seems I have to just keep 50 old mails on my Charge to prevent this from happening. Any ideas?

- Second problem (kinda related) Deleting Old Mail: When I delete AOL emails I have read on the Charge, they are also deleted from my 'old mail' folder on AOL and sent to deleted mail. This is not how it worked on my BB Storm2. After deleting them with the Storm, the AOL mail would show them as read and put them in 'old mail' unless I told the Storm to delete them from the server. I cannot find any "choice" option on the Charge. I hate this because the "deleted mail" folder on AOL dumps its contents much more quickly than the "old mail" folder. How do I stop this from happening?

FYI, both Comcast and g-mail are working as they should.....

Thanks,
    Rich

Default Re: Problems with AOL e-mail and Droid Charge

The problem is your AOL email- it sucks. The only people I know of who use AOL are older than 60 and had a dial up connection with them in the 90's.

Upgrade to gmail full time and your life will become easier. AOL is not ever going to catch up to yesterday's phones.

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrett View Post
    The problem is your AOL email- it sucks. The only people I know of who use AOL are older than 60 and had a dial up connection with them in the 90's.

Upgrade to gmail full time and your life will become easier. AOL is not ever going to catch up to yesterday's phones.
    amen..anyone that uses AOL hasnt felt the freedom of useing independant internet service provider..
    yep i hate AOL with a passion.. they are to nosy and are control freaks...run son run.....
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I'm over 50 so I hope you'll excuse my crepidity.

For what its worth, a guy (probably old) at the Verizon Community Forum helped me out.
    A decent work-around solution is as follows:

- Delete the AOL account that you may have set up using the AOL icon on the Droid.
    (Question: If it doesn't work, why is it there?)
    - Set up a new account using the "Other" email account category.
    - Designate the new account as a POP3 account.
    - All the necessary POP3 server info, etc, was already there.
    - As you go through the screens, there will be a question about deleting mail from the the server.....say no.
    - Initially, it will download 25 old messages, but you can now delete them without the messages getting trashed on the AOL server.

The only drawback is that the new account will not be "pushed" but you can set refresh to every 5 min or longer in settings.

Next Project:
    Figuring out why my new Droid Charge keeps dropping the audio on calls to other Verizon customers.
    (I've had more dropped calls in the past two days than I've had in the prior 10 years with Verizon)

The old guy.

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm over 50 so I hope you'll excuse my crepidity.

For what its worth, a guy (probably old) at the Verizon Community Forum helped me out.
    A decent work-around solution is as follows:

- Delete the AOL account that you may have set up using the AOL icon on the Droid.
    (Question: If it doesn't work, why is it there?)
    - Set up a new account using the "Other" email account category.
    - Designate the new account as a POP3 account.
    - All the necessary POP3 server info, etc, was already there.
    - As you go through the screens, there will be a question about deleting mail from the the server.....say no.
    - Initially, it will download 25 old messages, but you can now delete them without the messages getting trashed on the AOL server.

The only drawback is that the new account will not be "pushed" but you can set refresh to every 5 min or longer in settings.

Next Project:
    Figuring out why my new Droid Charge keeps dropping the audio on calls to other Verizon customers.
    (I've had more dropped calls in the past two days than I've had in the prior 10 years with Verizon)

The old guy.

maybe it is just me but AOL is possive program, so I'd think AOL is your whole problem.. are you afraid to use your gmail account..?? it does have to be setup in order for Google to operate right..
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

Lots of AOL hatin' here IMHO.
    BTW, I did have dial-up in the 90's (but I was "cutting edge" back then!)

I'm not afraid of g-mail. My original post notes my g-mail account is working fine. I've just moved from Blackberry to Android, so the g-mail account (which I've had for several years) is more relevant now than it was with my Blackberry. I've got a work-around for the AOL account until I can transition away from it.

But I'm more concerned with:
    - why my new Charge drops the audio on verizon-to-verizon calls
    - why my new expensive OEM Charge car dock and charger causes my phone battery to overheat and shutdown after using GPS (Google Maps or Navigation) for about 20 minutes. So much for replacing my old Garmin.
    - why my new Charge can shut down and re-boot when I take a flash picture with the camera.

So all in all, the AOL problem has now paled in comparison. I love this phone, but we may need to reorder our "hatin" priorities if Samsung doesn't get their act together.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

U can also add your aol to your gmail and let gmail receive your aol so you have everything in nice little package. And I'm still using aol mail have been since way back when. I also have gmail back when it was beta

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

Thanks moosc. I may try that!
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Here's a good blog from Jerry here on AC http://m.androidcentral.com/using-gm...sh-mail-server
    Quote Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
    Thanks moosc. I may try that!

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...