1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

Default Overheating Battery While Using Navigation

Problems With Overheating Battery While Using Navigation and Motorola "Blue Light" Charger.

I had a problem yesterday while using my Charge's Google Navigation, the Samsung Car Dock and a Motorola "blue-light" car charger. I had read that some were having problems with the charger not being able to keep up with the power draw of the navigation system, so I started out with a fully charged battery.

About an hour into the trip, the screen dimmed severely and I got a message that the battery was overheating and instructing me to unplug the charger, which I did. I continued on battery only and watched it drop to about 70% over time. I then tried to reconnect to the car charger, but soon got the same overheating message. So I had to continue the trip on the phone's battery alone. The AC was on in the car.

There were no other apps running on the phone and the only other activity while using the charger was a fairly long phone call which finished before the problems started.

(The Motorola charger is new and is not one of the cheap knock-offs that have been showing up lately. It has the molded plug and the holographic markings)

Any ideas? I am still in my return period and this phone is beginning to scare me.

Side Issue: I also notice that if I get a phone call while using the Navigation, once I finish the call, the phone returns to the Navigation, but the map itself is completely black. I have to exit out of the Nav program and re-enter it from the beginning to see the map. Any one else experience this?

I've experienced it overheating as well. Gives a message that it will stop charging. Basically there are 2 options one is to unplug it for a while and the other is to turn off the display on long stretches of road.

If I look on the gps and it shows 50 miles before a turn I set my trip odometer on the car and turn off the phone display. Around mile 45 I turn the display back on. That usually cools it down enough.

Never noticed the second problem, but i can't recall getting a call either.

Had the same problem on a long trip two weeks ago. Like atlantar6, I discovered that turning off the display mitigated the issue. I did periodically hold the phone (no back, battery exposed, still plugged in) in front of the center vents to help cool it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock w/ Root

Default Re: Overheating Battery While Using Navigation

I haven't had the same problems with the receiving a call and it then navigation going black, mine always goes back to normal, but I did have overheating problems on my OG Droid. With my droid X and droid charge I haven't had a single issue when it comes to overheating. I have cardocks for my phones and noticed that the phones would get to different temperatures with the type of charger that I was using. All my charger are VZW branded charges and noticed that with my Motorola charger that I got from VZW, my stuff always got extra hot, never overheated, but very warm to the touch. I stopped using that charger for my phone and use it for my bluetooth. Perhaps your charger is throwing too much juice into the phone. Try a different charger next time and see if it happens again.

I've had the same problem with navigation and the phone overheating. I took it to Verizon and they said it shouldn't chapped and gave me a new phone.

Same problem with new phone. I'm guessing its not a phone problem and maybe something with the software or something.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Blackberry 8320? OLD > blackberry 8703e > blackberry curve > blackberry Storm 2 > Samsung Fascinate>Droid Charge

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I have noticed it with my Verizon window mount. It isn't every time. I think it was always on a hot day, so even with the AC running, maybe the heat through the windshield was too much. They should probably open the back of the dock a little to improve air circulation.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

I had the same problems with the OEM car dock on my return trip yesterday. Again had to unplug the charger. The battery temp was at 113 degrees. Then had to contend with the screen constantly dimming out and a depleted battery when I got where I was going. This is a big letdown for me since I was expecting the Charge to replace my old Garmin.

What do you all think are the chances that Samsung will seriously work to correct this?

ROM
    Gummy, AOKP

having the same issue. i found using the stock cable instead of an after market helps some. also turning off mobile data seems to help some. but in the end, it still overheats.

I haven't had the overheating problem nor the blacked out map after a call. I use my Charge as my radio also during long trips with the Navigation running in the back ground. I switch back and forth between navigation and slacker radio screen through out the trips with no overheating problems. I too use the motorola rapid charger with the blue light.

Might I make a suggestion.

You can drill holes through the back of your dock or phone holder and also drill holes through your battery cover to help in the cooling. One can drill nice holes and make them look professionally done just take your time create a pattern instead of randomly drilling.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Plucknbach View Post
    I haven't had the overheating problem nor the blacked out map after a call. I use my Charge as my radio also during long trips with the Navigation running in the back ground. I switch back and forth between navigation and slacker radio screen through out the trips with no overheating problems. I too use the motorola rapid charger with the blue light.

Might I make a suggestion.

You can drill holes through the back of your dock or phone holder and also drill holes through your battery cover to help in the cooling. One can drill nice holes and make them look professionally done just take your time create a pattern instead of randomly drilling.

I considered doing some drilling, but wasn't sure if there is a magnet somewhere inside that tells the phone it is in the dock.

there's one way to test the battery covery to see if it is magnetic. I doubt it though, I believe if you're using the samsung car dock, it is the USB connector at the bottom of the dock that activates the dock notification on the phone.

^nope, just the charger plugged in. If you put the phone in the dock and don't plug in the power piece it has no idea it's in a dock.
    Thanked by:

I've had the overheating problem as well. Short drive; about 1 hour to the airport on a warm day. Verizon branded car charger purchased at the same time as the phone. Secured with the AndroidCentral-recommended Arkon SM412 Mini Friction Dashboard Mount. Very disappointing. i'll test it again tomorrow...
    Droid Charge (since 7/5/11)
    BB8810
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

I thought I would post an Update:

I'm beginning to think that the problem only happens if it is a very hot day and the sun is beating down on the dash. I haven't had the problem repeat itself after the first two times, which were on hot summer days.

I also found "Car Widget Pro" which is a very good App for the car dock. (I tried the free version, but most of the options were disabled). It automatically overrides the stock Samsung program (which you cannot customize and which defaults to VZNavigator). You do have to dedicate one of your seven home screens to the Widget App, but I use mine to access my maps and my music apps like Google Nav, Slacker, Music Player and TuneIn Radio, when it's not in the car.

It's also much easier to navigate between Apps when using the phone as a GPS in the car. IMO, this App/Widget greatly improves the functionality of the device and the car dock in the car. (This App might also be helping with the overheating problem, but I really don't know enough about the technical side to say for sure)

Also, since my car has a Aux In plug, I'm also able to use the dock's Aux Out to get all Navigation instructions and my music/radio stations on the phone to play through the car's stereo system. Very Nice!

Rich

Just took my phone in today for some other issues and i mentioned this problem about the overheating and they hadn't heard anyone report this...It happened to me on vacation in july in NC and yes it was a very hot day but my original droid never had this problem and i used navigastion while charging for hours...it does suck because once the battery is dead how in the hell are we supposed to charge the phone if we need the gps!!!

im having a overheating problem also.

Quote Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
    Problems With Overheating Battery While Using Navigation and Motorola "Blue Light" Charger.

I had a problem yesterday while using my Charge's Google Navigation, the Samsung Car Dock and a Motorola "blue-light" car charger. I had read that some were having problems with the charger not being able to keep up with the power draw of the navigation system, so I started out with a fully charged battery.

About an hour into the trip, the screen dimmed severely and I got a message that the battery was overheating and instructing me to unplug the charger, which I did. I continued on battery only and watched it drop to about 70% over time. I then tried to reconnect to the car charger, but soon got the same overheating message. So I had to continue the trip on the phone's battery alone. The AC was on in the car.

There were no other apps running on the phone and the only other activity while using the charger was a fairly long phone call which finished before the problems started.

(The Motorola charger is new and is not one of the cheap knock-offs that have been showing up lately. It has the molded plug and the holographic markings)

Any ideas? I am still in my return period and this phone is beginning to scare me.

Side Issue: I also notice that if I get a phone call while using the Navigation, once I finish the call, the phone returns to the Navigation, but the map itself is completely black. I have to exit out of the Nav program and re-enter it from the beginning to see the map. Any one else experience this?
    I had the same problem. Turning off the display helps. Last week left it on while at a meeting in car in window dock and it shut off. Turn it back on and the unit went in to a rebooting loop. Had to get verizon to send me another one. This seems to be a know issue.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I have the holster case from VZW and I had the overheating issue (not real hot, but hotter than normal) until I realized that I could start up the nav and then slip it back into the holster. The screen goes off and if I need to see it, I jsut pull it back out and turn it on. Seems to keep it down to normal temps.

Oh and my daughter was at the dollar store and found car chargers there (just the part that hooks into the car, you need to use the USB cable) so I charge it while in the car....

I had the exact same problem... Droid Charge inserted in Samsung car kit stuck to window. I was using the GPS function and had a car charging cord plugged into the bottom of the car kit to keep the battery charged. I discovered that the phone would overheat to the point where the screen would dim. Ultimately the phone would shut down. The phone wouldn't charge the battery with a message on the screen something like, "overtemperature- cannot charge battery".

I concluded that the phone is just not designed for continuous GPS operation.

As with everything else, Samsung will be the last to learn about this and I predict will deny it's a problem.