Looking for a "how to" for Droid Charge screen replacement

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I happened to crack my screen, purchased a new one, disassembled most of the phone, and am stuck on removing the screen.

Has anybody done this?

Any videos?
I did mine about a week ago, I didn't record it or anything however. Basically removing the screen is done with heat and perseverance. Use a hair dryer/heat gun (Id use a hair dryer to avoid melting plastic with a heat gun, I used a Conair Yellowbird, which is a powerful professional dryer) and give the glass a workover for a few minutes. I would be careful handling the plastic frame and glass though, they will be quite hot! Next use something that wont leave marks/damage to pry the screen up down by the plastic buttons on the front. Be careful not to break the plastic frame and keep working at it. If you heated the glass up enough the adhesive will be melted and it will pull off no problem. Make sure all broken pieces of the screen are removed too. Then put the new screen on the frame. Be careful not to position it too close to the plastic buttons. Use the camera/sensors on the front as a guide. I placed mine a little too low at first and my buttons were sticking. I didnt think I would get another bite at the apple, but luckily I heated it back up and positioned it correctly. Don't be like me or you might end up with a $150.00 piece of garbage glass. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: WatchfulHosemaster
May 24, 2011
Visit site
I did mine about a week ago, I didn't record it or anything however. Basically removing the screen is done with heat and perseverance. Use a hair dryer/heat gun (Id use a hair dryer to avoid melting plastic with a heat gun, I used a Conair Yellowbird, which is a powerful professional dryer) and give the glass a workover for a few minutes. I would be careful handling the plastic frame and glass though, they will be quite hot! Next use something that wont leave marks/damage to pry the screen up down by the plastic buttons on the front. Be careful not to break the plastic frame and keep working at it. If you heated the glass up enough the adhesive will be melted and it will pull off no problem. Make sure all broken pieces of the screen are removed too. Then put the new screen on the frame. Be careful not to position it too close to the plastic buttons. Use the camera/sensors on the front as a guide. I placed mine a little too low at first and my buttons were sticking. I didnt think I would get another bite at the apple, but luckily I heated it back up and positioned it correctly. Don't be like me or you might end up with a $150.00 piece of garbage glass. Good luck!

Thank you so much. I got stuck when I saw this gray plastic attached to the screen. I did end up cracking the plastic frame a little bit, but I'm not too concerned since it will be covered with a case.

I ended up watching some videos for other phones, and the screen replacement seems a lot easier.

Thanks again!!

I will let you know how it turns out.

May 24, 2011
Visit site

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I am in the middle of replacing a screen on my daughters iPod and used a video from you tube. Needed to order the bezel so i am waiting for that to finish. Good to know we can get things for other devices.

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That is a long time myth. Search the forums you will find that is not true. It was announced with it but Samsung never deliver on it. Some where it got pulled in their production lines for the charge.

Mine suffered a (maybe) 3 foot fall onto some stone pavers. It must have hit just right, because the whole screen shattered upon impact. It was only the glass though. There was no bleeding, etc.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah Samsung themselves can't confirm it has gorilla glass. I called them and ask. They have no documentation that it has gg. The screen scratches to easy. Also with how much it cost to get that glass I think you could of sent it to Samsung and they would of repaired it for you.

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah Samsung themselves can't confirm it has gorilla glass. I called them and ask. They have no documentation that it has gg. The screen scratches to easy. Also with how much it cost to get that glass I think you could of sent it to Samsung and they would of repaired it for you.

I didn't bother asking Samsung, but I found a place that did it for 200 bucks, and you would be without your phone for a few days. Im figuring Samsung would have been the same, if not more. I saved 50 bucks and was without my phone for no more than 2 hours.

May 24, 2011
Visit site
That video was a great starting point for me, but he doesnt disassemble the screen. Can't say I blame him, its not like it would be easy to reattach without new adhesive.

This is what I received (first photo). I started to use your method, but then realized that they provided me with the entire apparatus.

There is a piece of gray plastic (see second picture) that needs to be removed somehow. The part that I received comes with the necessary adhesive, but I can't figure out how to remove this grey plastic piece.

This is driving me nuts!

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE:

Okay, now I realize what I was doing wrong. The screen is replaced and looks fantastic. It's actually not too difficult, it was just hard to figure out how to disassemble this specific part.

Last edited:

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This is what I received (first photo). I started to use your method, but then realized that they provided me with the entire apparatus.

There is a piece of gray plastic (see second picture) that needs to be removed somehow. The part that I received comes with the necessary adhesive, but I can't figure out how to remove this grey plastic piece.

This is driving me nuts!

Thanks for your help.

UPDATE:

Okay, now I realize what I was doing wrong. The screen is replaced and looks fantastic. It's actually not too difficult, it was just hard to figure out how to disassemble this specific part.

I wonder what a new Charge could have been bought for......
since Assurion Ins has dropped me and i have no insurance on my Charge,, all because i turned in a LG VX 8000 just under a year ago for a piece of chit phone. the screen adhesive was going bad.
turned in a fascinate for swimming in the aquarium sting ray tank..
kinda made me think i might need a spec sheet on every sensor, chips, processo,r and voltages on wiring is ,, it would be nice to have..
thinking of replacing the glass seems to be a nightmare..

Did You have the rubber glove covering on the phone that surrounds the casing and the entire back??