Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

Default Can We Backup Our Phone Data To Our PCs?

I've done several searches of the forum, but can't find what I'm looking for.

Is it possible to backup the data on my Charge to my PC? I want to save photos, music, playlists, movies, etc. I understand my apps and contacts are already backed up to Google since I chose that option under the Privacy tab, but I can't seem to figure out how to do a data backup for this phone.

With BlackBerrys, we had software for making backups to our home computers. It came in very handy when I lost my phone and had to get a new one. I've put a lot of work into straightening out my iPod music, playlists, photos, etc, and want to make sure I have a backup if I need it.

I saw recommendations for an app, MyBackupPro, but it looks like my data would be backed up to their servers which I am not comfortable with. The description also seems to indicate there are problems for non-rooted phones. My phone is stock OEM.

Thanks in advance,
    Rich

ROM
    None

Default Re: Can We Backup Our Phone Data To Our PCs?

Not really, Not if you are looking for a sync like program such as Blackberry or iPhone has. Im not sure why its not offered through a CD.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

you can do a nandroid backup then move it to your PC. I have done it quite a few times. My understanding is that the newest ones have trouble free restores.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

I'll check out nandroid. I don't mind doing a manual back up. I'm most concerned with music playlists. DoubleTwist really screwed them up transferring then from my iTunes and its taken me forever to straighten them out.

I manually copied the Music file from my SD card to my computer, but I can't tell if that's the file that has the playlists in it. Does anyone know?

Thanks
    Rich

If you have a windows pc Microsoft toy sync works well. Another for windows is a free program, Android commander. Basically it is nothing more than a user friendly ui for adb/ sdk. Essentially it makes it easier for people not familiar with the command line. If you like it I suggest a donation though ;-)
    And last but not least mount your card through your pc and copy paste. Just some suggestions take from it what you want and toss the rest :-D

There is a free program called Android Sync Manager by Mobile Action that syncs and backs up all your contacts, videos, photos, messages, music and calendars. You can get it market for the Android side but you have to download another program for the PC side from their website.

Android Sync Manager - Android Sync Software for HTC EVO, Nexus One, Droid, Disire HD, Hero and Other Android Phones
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

Android Sync Manager looks like a possible solution.
    Has anyone used it yet?

Also, does anyone know if the music playlists are stored in the "Music" folder on the Charge's SD card? I've backed that file up to my computer and just want to know if it covers the playlists?

Thanks all
    Rich

I use Titanium backup to backup to Dropbox on my Pc.

Quote Originally Posted by FribbleToe View Post
    I use Titanium backup to backup to Dropbox on my Pc.
    But you have to be rooted right?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

yeah it looks like you need root for tibup, I don't use it much (I like mybackuppro)

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

If you are just worried about playlists, why aren't you using Google music? WAY better than doubletwist.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I am still trying to get all my music up there and in some kind of order lol