Guess no Gingerbread in Sept

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What you didn't get yours yet?

Seriously, as I said in another forum today. We bought a FROYO phone, and a damn good one. Everything else is gravy.

kart38

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm quite aware that rooting a phone isn't for everyone. Having said that, if you want GB it is exceedingly easy to use Odin to flash the latest leak and have a stock, rooted, Charge on 2.3.4. Very nice way to run the phone. Takes less than 30 minutes of your time.

Jason

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What's the point of the front-facing camera in Froyo?

EDIT: Also, what happened to this promise from Google et al: Google Deal Promises to Keep Your Phone’s Software Up to Date | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Does the camera work and take pictures? Yes, so from that standpoint it is fine. Now the fact that it isnt supported properly by the app makers is another problem altogether

as for the second part, I am pretty sure that May wasn't 18 months ago...but I have been drinking pretty heavily this summer..

trusttheman85

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Im sorry to say but the droid charge is a POS... I have it, love'd it, until a plethora of bugs showed up out the wood works, and have persisted through every hard reset iv done. I don't root (though im seriously thinking i ought to), so original specs-wise, its horrible. I know some of you love your charge... and i wanted to love it so bad... but lets not forgive sammy for giving us the fascinate 1.5

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Im sorry to say but the droid charge is a POS... I have it, love'd it, until a plethora of bugs showed up out the wood works, and have persisted through every hard reset iv done. I don't root (though im seriously thinking i ought to), so original specs-wise, its horrible. I know some of you love your charge... and i wanted to love it so bad... but lets not forgive sammy for giving us the fascinate 1.5

considering that is your first post, and I wish it wasn't an "I hate you" post, welcome to AC!

What are your issues? A lot can be solved with some input.

Oh and this is no where near Fassy 1.5

trusttheman85

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
A "hate me" post for expressing my thoughts on a flawed phone? i work for verizon, i love droid, i love samsung.... but im not a fan-boy whos gonna just take whatever crap gets dished out... trust me, i know enough about phones to get around any "issue", unless u know how to boost the ram to a semi respectable 512 to make the phone faster then a tank then not much help there.

Launchers, task killers (which advance task killer turns off the data radios complete after being on your phone for about 48 hours, an issue i talked to Verizon a few times which i got no response), u cant expect me so stand by a phone that has the same exact specs as the fascinate and slap a + on the screen res and 4G on it and expect it be looked at as next gen tech

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

This is what I meant by an I hate you post, nothing towards you personally. You didnt express much in the way of thoughts on the bugs, just that the the phone is a POS

Sure I can help with the speed. Nothing I do about the RAM.

Flash Gummy 1.91 then flash Gummy 2.0. Go into TSM parts and go into the general settings and change both animations to Fast. Want more speed, put launcher pro on and Ramp up the speed in there as well. My phone FLIES. Want more speed? I hear the GB leaks are great. Want more? Overclocking the Kernel can help from my understanding but I don't do it so I cannot speak from experience. Got reception issues? flash the EP1W modem.

I am not a fanboy either. I know it should work OTB but that just isnt the way it is. I know there are shortcomings but instead of just saying it is a piece of crap, I found and continue to find ways around them and love the phone. No phone is going to be perfect. none. Not the iPhone, the Prime, none. You can just complain or you can take matters into you own hands.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You mean WHEN (November) it comes to VZW.

I'm going to throw in a random comment here, but you might want to update your Next Device info :p

Launchers, task killers (which advance task killer turns off the data radios complete after being on your phone for about 48 hours, an issue i talked to Verizon a few times which i got no response), u cant expect me so stand by a phone that has the same exact specs as the fascinate and slap a + on the screen res and 4G on it and expect it be looked at as next gen tech

Not hating, but there is some kind of gigantic misconception of task killers at VZW. They are not only unnecessary, but (like you're describing) are often harmful and even counterproductive to your intent. Please educate yourself and spread the word my friend, because it seems that VZW employees are trained to tell people about/install a task killer on their phone and it frustrates me every time I see one being used. All you need to manage your phone is through your task manager that is included upon purchase. Anything else is overkill (pun intended).

Reactions: dwitherell

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
A "hate me" post for expressing my thoughts on a flawed phone? i work for verizon, i love droid, i love samsung.... but im not a fan-boy whos gonna just take whatever crap gets dished out... trust me, i know enough about phones to get around any "issue", unless u know how to boost the ram to a semi respectable 512 to make the phone faster then a tank then not much help there.

If you're still using a task killer, you don't know how to get around any issue. Sorry, but using task killers are not good, and yes, these phones can tend to slow down after a while. Getting rid of misbehaving apps, clearing old data, and removing bloat can help alot. But yes, I advise you to check out some of the how-to's and get a Gingerbread leak and a lean ROM running on your phone, it'll make it feel like a different device.

Anyway, from what I've discovered, I don't think we'll see an OTA for another month. I spoke with Verizon Tier 2 Tech Support today troubleshooting a data issue and getting a new SIM card, and he told me that there is a major software update, with a lot of changes, due to come at the beginning of November. He didn't know for sure, but it certainly sounds like this will be Gingerbread. Keep in mind there's already a 2.3.5 leak, so Samsung and VZW are definitely working hard to get us some solid software. Not sure why we have to wait another whole month, but my guess is they still want some time to make it as good as they can, and they're gonna be busy with Nexus Prime stuff next month. Once its out, I expect Samsung will want the Charge to remain their other flagship device on VZW, at a more budget-oriented price. Making it a great GB device would make it a great "little brother" to the Prime.

Regardless, I don't know all of the reasoning, but I have it from a pretty solid source that GB won't be coming until the beginning of November. They may move it up, but considering the TB is just now getting it, and was out much earlier, I wouldn't hold your breath.

hkrn44

May 4, 2010
Visit site
You do NOT want the gingerbread update yet! I jsut got it for the Thudnerbolt last week and since then... I do not get any voicemail notifications. I have to turn my phone off and on in order to get the new vmail notification. Then once you listen to your messages, the vmail notification will not go away.

I called Verizon and complained today and they said it was a known issue with the gingerbread update, happened on all the gingerbread phones, and they are working on a fix.

They gave me the option of trading my phone in for the Droid Charge... which is what I think I'm going to do...

rmcray08

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does the camera work and take pictures? Yes, so from that standpoint it is fine. Now the fact that it isnt supported properly by the app makers is another problem altogether

as for the second part, I am pretty sure that May wasn't 18 months ago...but I have been drinking pretty heavily this summer..

Well, my understanding is that the point of the front-facing camera is for video calls. Both Skype and Google Plus ("Hangout" feature) cite that the inability to use the front facing camera for video chat is because it is only supported by Gingerbread, and not supported by Froyo.

And the Google/manufacturer pact was to provide support up until 18 months, meaning that we should get each Android update that is released until that point. Now we're at the point where the next iteration of Android is about to come out and we still have no official word on Gingerbread. Something about that seems wrong. A two-year contract plus a $300 down-payment should buy more support than this.

I don't mean for this to be a personal attack, but just my opinion :)

trusttheman85

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to throw in a random comment here, but you might want to update your Next Device info :p

Not hating, but there is some kind of gigantic misconception of task killers at VZW. They are not only unnecessary, but (like you're describing) are often harmful and even counterproductive to your intent. Please educate yourself and spread the word my friend, because it seems that VZW employees are trained to tell people about/install a task killer on their phone and it frustrates me every time I see one being used. All you need to manage your phone is through your task manager that is included upon purchase. Anything else is overkill (pun intended).

Two things... one, im not a Verizon employee drone, who just suggest task killers to everyone buying an android... two, im talking about an issue that Verizon has yet to address... i am very educated about the droid charge... had it before it was shipped.

I am talking about a phone that is half baked OTB... I know rooting can change my phone for the better... and im not willing root cause im sorry if i want my phone to work half way decent when i buy it. and i cant possibly suggest a phone to others that is fundamentally broken out the box.

I like to Choose to root my phone or not... to root to make my phone work properly, im sorry, not feeling that at all.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, my understanding is that the point of the front-facing camera is for video calls. Both Skype and Google Plus ("Hangout" feature) cite that the inability to use the front facing camera for video chat is because it is only supported by Gingerbread, and not supported by Froyo.

And the Google/manufacturer pact was to provide support up until 18 months, meaning that we should get each Android update that is released until that point. Now we're at the point where the next iteration of Android is about to come out and we still have no official word on Gingerbread. Something about that seems wrong. A two-year contract plus a $300 down-payment should buy more support than this.

I don't mean for this to be a personal attack, but just my opinion :)

Your right about the FFC, but that is a shortcoming of the APP not the Phone. THe phone only needs to display the picture, what we do with it is up to the app. ooVoo I hear works.

You are right about the 18 month thing, but it means google wants the phones to have it, but we are still at the mercy of the manufacturer and the carrier. Again not the phones fault. it cannot update itself

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar