Contact pictures dont show up in SMS app

JihadSquad

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything I can think of... I have pictures for my contacts but they aren't used in the SMS app (it just shows the generic default picture for them). How do I turn this on? I just flashed the debloated EP1W leak.

kart38

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
If you use Facebook to get the contact's picture you have to sign into the SNS Facebook syncing app that is left in the debloated ROM. That will allow the pics to show up in Samsung's SMS app.

Jason

thegargeman

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I have the same problem. It's extremely frustrating. :mad:

Can you walk me through how to fix it? Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by debloated ROM...

I logged into the Facebook App, synced contacts, didn't work. I added and logged into Facebook in Accounts & Sync (under settings), didn't work.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Signing into the Facebook app and syncing with contacts only works if your contacts are listed exactly the way they are in Facebook. Go into your contacts, hit the menu button, then more, then display options. Uncheck the first option which is "display only contacts with a phone number", then choose done. You should be back at your contacts. Find the contacts who are also your friends on Facebook, long press on the contact and choose "join contact." The facebook contact may automatically show up but if it doesn't, just choose all contacts, find the facebook contact and choose it. Those two contacts will now be joined and the facebook pic should show up on all calls and text messages from now on. When you are finished joining all your contacts, hit menu=>more=>display options, and recheck "display only contacts with phone numbers", then hit done.

itsmelexie

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If you use Facebook to get the contact's picture you have to sign into the SNS Facebook syncing app that is left in the debloated ROM. That will allow the pics to show up in Samsung's SMS app.

Jason
What do you mean by the Facebook SNS Syncing App and debloated ROM?

I did exactly what the other guy said about them showing up in my sms messaging app, but they don't. They only show up in my contacts list, but when it comes to phone calls and text messages, it will only show a default picture.

girllwholived

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I understand that you need to make sure Facebook is synced correctly and that the names in your contacts should match what is on Facebook, etc, but the problem is that the picture shows up in the contacts but not in text messages or during phone calls. I didn't have this issue until I downloaded the Gingerbread update on Saturday.

kart38

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Settings > Accounts & Sync > Add Account

You will notice at the top it says Integrated contact accounts. Sign into that Facebook account, it is a different app than the actual Facebook app. Alternatively, use the app called "syncmypix". It is free in the Market and works. I think you have to manually sync with that one, the other way will update on its own.

Jason

Reactions: emock81

kulisics

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I had almost exactly the same problem, and since I just discovered the nature of the problem and how to solve it, I thought that I'd make the effort to register and post something. I hunted around on the web for a day and didn't find any answers---many people appear to suffer with a similar problem---so I think that this might help a lot of people.

First, I'm using Android 4, ICS, on a Samsung Galaxy S3. For some reason, after I installed GoSMS Pro, setup the Facebook account, and started tinkering with my contacts, the contact photos in both the stock Messaging application and GoSMS Pro disappeared. I could still see the contact photos in the Contacts application, but both SMS applications showed ghosts for the images for all but a couple of contacts. The three or four contacts with photos seemed to have nothing in common. Some were people who had no photo in Facebook. One was someone with only a Facebook profile picture and no picture on my phone or in Google Contacts.

When I was using the stock Messaging application, I tried to edit some contact information directly from the menu in the conversation thread, and I found that the application appeared to be using the contact entry from my SIM card. I think that on my previous phones I had set up the SIM card as contact memory for a long time, and even after I started using the phone memory on a previous Android phone, I think that I synchronized the SIM card and phone entries a few times. (I'm not sure; my old phone has a broken screen, so I can't check if the older Android version had a function to synchronize phone contacts with the SIM card.) I knew from previous experience with the SIM card that the SIM card would not store photos as part of its contact entries, so of course, if the messaging applications were consulting the SIM card for the contact information, then they would not have show photos for contacts found first on the SIM card. I deleted a SIM card entry that already existed on my phone and in Google contacts, and when I removed the SIM card entry for the person, the picture popped right up.

To make a long story short . . .

THE PROBLEM: Android 4 does not appear to let you select a contact source as the exclusive source of contact information for all applications---if you read the Contacts options carefully, you'll see that Contacts only allows you to select a source to display as opposed to exclusively access---and if you have a SIM card contact entry for a person, Android 4 appears to serve it first to the messaging applications.

THE SOLUTION: Switch Contacts to display from the SIM card, and remove the SIM card entries one by one. The images in other sources should appear in both GoSMS Pro and the stock Messaging application.

Thanks, and I hope that this helps someone.

emock81

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Settings > Accounts & Sync > Add Account

You will notice at the top it says Integrated contact accounts. Sign into that Facebook account, it is a different app than the actual Facebook app. Alternatively, use the app called "syncmypix". It is free in the Market and works. I think you have to manually sync with that one, the other way will update on its own.

Jason

This worked perfectly and fixed the problem for me. Thank you!

sk8ter_chick540

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have my phone synced with facebook. my phone picks and chooses what contacts it will use the picture and which one's it won't show the picture. on a few contacts I have been able to save the contact to my phone and download a pic from their FB and save it and it works. but some contacts I have them linked with FB a pic on my phone and a pic on my google account but it still just shows the default picture when I text them. I use the default texting app from verizon. I have tried so many things and nothing will work, do you know how to fix it?

bishop29

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
kulisicsHi,I had almost exactly the same problem, and since I just discovered the nature of the problem and how to solve it, I thought that I'd make the effort to register and post something. I hunted around on the web for a day and didn't find any answers---many people appear to suffer with a similar problem---so I think that this might help a lot of people.First, I'm using Android 4, ICS, on a Samsung Galaxy S3. For some reason, after I installed GoSMS Pro, setup the Facebook account, and started tinkering with my contacts, the contact photos in both the stock Messaging application and GoSMS Pro disappeared. I could still see the contact photos in the Contacts application, but both SMS applications showed ghosts for the images for all but a couple of contacts. The three or four contacts with photos seemed to have nothing in common. Some were people who had no photo in Facebook. One was someone with only a Facebook profile picture and no picture on my phone or in Google Contacts.When I was using the stock Messaging application, I tried to edit some contact information directly from the menu in the conversation thread, and I found that the application appeared to be using the contact entry from my SIM card. I think that on my previous phones I had set up the SIM card as contact memory for a long time, and even after I started using the phone memory on a previous Android phone, I think that I synchronized the SIM card and phone entries a few times. (I'm not sure; my old phone has a broken screen, so I can't check if the older Android version had a function to synchronize phone contacts with the SIM card.) I knew from previous experience with the SIM card that the SIM card would not store photos as part of its contact entries, so of course, if the messaging applications were consulting the SIM card for the contact information, then they would not have show photos for contacts found first on the SIM card. I deleted a SIM card entry that already existed on my phone and in Google contacts, and when I removed the SIM card entry for the person, the picture popped right up.To make a long story short . . .THE PROBLEM: Android 4 does not appear to let you select a contact source as the exclusive source of contact information for all applications---if you read the Contacts options carefully, you'll see that Contacts only allows you to select a source to display as opposed to exclusively access---and if you have a SIM card contact entry for a person, Android 4 appears to serve it first to the messaging applications.THE SOLUTION: Switch Contacts to display from the SIM card, and remove the SIM card entries one by one. The images in other sources should appear in both GoSMS Pro and the stock Messaging application.Thanks, and I hope that this helps someone.

-thank you so much sir!now i can finally see the pictures in my stock sms using galaxy note.God bless!

Katie Mullins

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this issue, but it isn't the same. The image for my friends' numbers all show up FINE. It's just the image for my sent messages that's disappeared and I can't find a fix or forum based on this ANYWHERE and it's really starting to bug me.

joao clemente

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, The image for my friends' numbers all show up FINE. It's just the image for my sent messages that's disappeared and i dont know how to fix it. please hep

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante