Just about had it with this phone

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I want the new Nexus but about ready to give up on Sammy in favor of the Razr because my wife’s Droid X has been solid for her. I'm always complaining and hers seems fine all the time. I know all the specs in favor of the Nexus, but this is my first Sammy and I love everything it can do and how the screen looks but this rebooting crap is just too much and I need to know if it's really a Sammy Filing system thing or if it's just a lack of processing power that will be better in any of the new dual core's with 1MB of ram?

Thoughts please! Convince me why I should put my trust in Sammy with the Nexus!

Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong. I just don't know. Also seems like it's reading from the card slower. Example, I have a folder on the home screen and it sometimes takes a while to redraw or load the items into the folder.

My set up is as follows:
Not Rooted and won't be doing that.
Using Go Launcher EX (which I love bty)
Free version of the Lookout protection.
I've never used a Task Killer so thats not it.
I've got a ton of apps like everyone else and I guess one of them could be doing it but I don't run them all at once so what the h..ll.
I don't use a live wall paper.
I keep location service and data sync off unless I need them to conserve battery.
I recently downloaded Speaktoit Assistant, which is very cool, but my reboots were happening plenty often before that.

Otherwise theres nothing odd loaded on this device. I just feel like it can't handle multitasking.

Last edited:

yourbrokenoven

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I do not have any reboot issues with my Charge. I got it the day it was released, and I don't believe it has ever reboot without me telling it to. I use various live wallpapers, but none of the other apps you mention.

My only complaints with the phone are, firstly, the non-uninstallable pre-loaded applications, some of which sign you up for monthly fees without making it completely clear that this is what they will do if you try to test the app out, and secondly that the GPS simply DOES NOT WORK. It usually takes 5 to 10 MINUTES to get a lock while I'm outside, and then shows me travelling through the woods and through peoples houses. A good block or more from being accurate. Completely unusable as a navigation tool.

Back when I tried other launchers on my old Motorola Droid, they consistently made my phone reboot, so my first suggestion would be to use your phone without Go Launcher for a week or so and see if the problem persists. I think the phone didn't enjoy running two launchers at once. Who knows.

rmcray08

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you, OP. The Charge has really been a step down from my OG Droid in many ways. The GPS lock on is very hit-or-miss, battery life is a serious step-down (but, of course, this is pretty much all 4G phones), my data connection just randomly drops pretty commonly, and like yours, my Charge seems to stress out and reboot itself every now and then.

I'm very hesitant to get another Samsung phone in the future, but the Galaxy Nexus may be a different story. My understanding is that it was developed hand-in-hand by both Sammy engineers and Google engineers, and I have a feeling that Google doesn't want the functionality of ICS to be compromised by shoddy device engineering on its flagship device. I think that if you can trust any Samsung device, it would be the Galaxy Nexus.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I did remove the go launcher once before and still has the issues and I really like the launcher too much now:) As for my question about which new one to get, I watched a Motorola Razr video earlier and then saw this video. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. . Think im still hooked on the idea of the Nexus.

Bobrowe78

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The Droid charge is the worst phone I have ever used, rebots all the time, I hate waiting for the screen to reload ever time I use an app and it loses data connection all the time. I should of realized this when the phone came with last year specs, thank god I got the buy back program with best buy!!

braveally

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the DC does have some issues. I know you want to avoid it but the only way to make it worth something is to root it and slap Gingerbread on it. You may just have a busted phone mine had a slew of reboots all the time and ran really hot and always restarted during navigation. Turns out I just had a bad one in the crop. The device I have now does not have any of those issues. Some things that have improved the experiences is:
  • rooting and using faster fix for GPS issues (locks in <1min in most cases)
  • enabling the lagfix to convert and speed up the file system
  • using V6 supercharger script to help with the home screen redraws
  • manually calibrating the battery which greatly increased the life of the phone.

I know, why is it necessary, because I want to feel justified in spending the money I did on this phone lol.
I originally got it prior to Verizon switching to their tiered data plans so I can be grandfathered with unlimited data. I had sprint but couldn't wait to get better service. It was also in anticipation of the SGSII which totally backfired since it never came to Verizon (I was livid!). So now we save and play the waiting game. I want to see the final specs upon release and then make the choice between that and the razr. Maybe I should just wait until next year and see what Kal-El will bring. Who knows

Last edited:

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The stock Froyo OS is crap on this phone. I rooted my phone, installed a deodexed/zip aligned Gingerbread Rom, and hacked kernel months ago. I don't have redraws, reboots, or anything. If you are too intimidated to manually root your phone and install a custom Rom, just install the stock Gingerbread release which even comes pre-rooted. I don't know why anybody would stay on stock Froyo.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The stock Froyo OS is crap on this phone. I rooted my phone, installed a deodexed/zip aligned Gingerbread Rom, and hacked kernel months ago. I don't have redraws, reboots, or anything. If you are too intimidated to manually root your phone and install a custom Rom, just install the stock Gingerbread release which even comes pre-rooted. I don't know why anybody would stay on stock Froyo.

I'm running the latest gingerbread rom EP3HA 2.3.5 and It runs amazing. The phone still runs a little hot and I'm still getting call issues. I was just talking to someone and they said all of a sudden they could hear nothing but static on my end. Must be the radio still crap. Man I hate the charge. I can't wait for the Galaxy nexus.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm running the latest gingerbread rom EP3HA 2.3.5 and It runs amazing. The phone still runs a little hot and I'm still getting call issues. I was just talking to someone and they said all of a sudden they could hear nothing but static on my end. Must be the radio still crap. Man I hate the charge. I can't wait for the Galaxy nexus.

Sorry to hear it. I've seen others complain of static issues as well as data drops. I guess I'm just fortunate as I have not experienced any of these types of problems. The only issues I have is bad GPS lock at times and I wish the battery life was a bit better. I really like the Charge although I'm looking forward to upgrading to the Nexus too. I was eligible for an upgrade in September and have been saving it for the Nexus.

kakistocrat

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Had all the issues described in this thread and more. Downgraded to 2.2.1 ED1 and rooted, now EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY. Only remaining issue is GPS slow to get fix and voice actions a little buggy. Why an earlier firmware version works better than a newer one, I have no idea. Hopefully this will all be resolved in newer updates.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
News flash. Browsing the web and it completely locked up and then choked and restarted again. If you watch the RAM in the task manager, the browser data goes RED. There is just not enough RAM in this thing to process more that 4 pages and if popups and flash and everything else is hitting at once, it just seems to choke. Man when I got this phone my favor part of it was that start up animated Droid Eye but now I'm just sick of seeing it. Just want a more reliable phone at this point. We can only hope that the next Sammy doesn't have some of the old Sammy in it causing this. Didn't someone say Sammy had a lousy filing system or something like that. God I hope the Nexus runs smoother.

Last edited:

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
My take. Earlier version has less crap in it. Why do you think we have to buy bigger and faster computers all the time, because the OS gets larger and larger with more crap in it. You stuff the new OS with more crap in the smaller box and all you're going to get is constipated right? Nuff said. I just hope the next generation of these things are less frustrating. And to be clear, I'd never bail to Apple. I love what these phones can do, just want one that can handle it.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I just didn't want to brick this 600.00 phone while it was still under warranty because I've never tried that and don't know enough about it to feel confident doing it. At this point I'm more interested in trading up and wiping this thing back to factory defaults and giving it to my kid in it's simplest form. Should be fine for her.

droidbio

May 28, 2011
Visit site
My charge started rebooting last week... That in addition to loss of data on and off all the time really stinks!! It locked up 2x today plus 2 restarts.

I am too chicken to root my phone as long as it has a warranty.

This is my 2nd charge.. I'm 120 days owning this from costco.. Do I have any hope of getting a different phone?

Grrrr

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay