Does the GPS have a walking/pedestrian mode?

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean, like a Google Maps Navigation pedestrian mode?

I know regular Google Maps does provide walking directions.

Thanks for the reply. I mean, for example, a Garmin Nuvi has a pedestrian mode where you can navigate a city while walking to various points of interest. I don't know what the difference between auto and pedestrian mode is.

Edit: upon further research, the following is the difference between pedestrian and driving modes:

some devices are more helpful than others for walkers. Garmin says its pedestrian mode negates one-way roads so that walkers can be directed the wrong way. It also allows walkers to go through access roads in parks where cars aren’t allowed.

Similarly, TomTom International BV’s new entry-level $499 TomTom ONE device, 5.5 ounces lighter than TomTom’s next-smallest device, directs walkers in pedestrian mode down the wrong way on one-way streets or along pedestrian bridges or bike paths if those are the fastest routes. And the pedestrian modes on many cellphone services such as Sprint’s MapQuest Navigator enable users to find walking directions and eliminate restrictions such as one-way streets and right-turn-only intersections.

Most in-car portable GPS receivers have a pedestrian or walking mode. The pedestrian mode optimizes the route for walking, and may also adjust arrival times to match walking, rather than driving speeds. Use your in-car portable GPS for walking as you would for driving. Select your destination by address, or from a points of interest search, and start your route. You will receive text and spoken directions much as you would when driving.

So the original question still stands...whether the Charge's navigation has the pedestrian mode or if there is an app for it.

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

Search and click on your destination

Click Directions

Then there are four options right under the origin and destination: Car, Bus, Bike and Walking.

Make your selection and click the blue arrow. voila!

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

Search and click on your destination

Click Directions

Then there are four options right under the origin and destination: Car, Bus, Bike and Walking.

Make your selection and click the blue arrow. voila!

Thanks! I couldn't find it because I was looking for it in the navigation app vs the maps app.

chrstdvd

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. I did not know that the Navigation app even existed. I had been using the Maps app. I guess it uses Maps but you do not have to jump thru so many hoops to get the navigation instructions with the Navigation app, just tell it where you want to go. Simple.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary